[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4515 posts
535 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec

Transferring Domain registration?

I have 7 active domains with GoDaddy.
Started each domain with GoDaddy originally years ago and just renewed each year since I found the fee reasonable.

Just received a renewal notice and found that the fees seem to have gone up.
They now want $C19.99 for most domains with a .org domain at $C25.99 and an .info domain a whopping $C29.99
Ironically, the .info domain was the cheapest when I first took it out - now it's the most expensive.

So I'm thinking of moving to a different registrar that has more reasonably pricing.

Any suggestions?

Also, how easy (or complicated) is it to move to a different registrar?
And would there be a period where the domain is not accessible during the transfer?
And any other words of wisdom on this subject?
14 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3179 posts
2153 upvotes
Yes, same experience here. GoDaddy did a big price increase for renewals more than a year ago - a pretty stupid move in a market where there's little incentive to stay with one registrar. There are still a few discount coupons, but as usual nothing very significant for renewals. Also GoDaddy will likely try a save when you start the domain transfer process, offering you a discount not to go - but their discounted price is still higher than other registrars.

I've been moving all my domains over to Namecheap, just because I've been using them as well for many years without problems, and they generally have a good reputation. There are others who are cheaper, and almost every registrar will give you a discount for transferring or registering new domains for the first year, in some cases as low as $1. Then they hope to keep your business at higher prices when you renew.

GoDaddy says that they will not transfer your domain in the last few days of validity because there isn't time to complete the process, so beware and initiate any transfer well ahead of the expiry date.

The domain transfer process is a bit complicated:

1. Make sure that your domain admin contact email information is up to date, because you're going to be getting some emails, and if they go to an old address it's going to screw up the process.

2. Change your domain name status to Unlocked, which you can do from the domain control panel at GoDaddy. This does not show up instantly in the domain status, so don't be too concerned that it still shows Locked when you refresh the status afterwards.

3. Now request an Authorization Code from GoDaddy, which will be sent to you by email at the admin contact email address. Wait for it to arrive.

4. Then go to your new registrar and initiate a transfer. They will request the Authorization Code. Your transfer request is now initiated.

5. Wait for GoDaddy to send you an email saying that a domain transfer has been initiated, and you need to approve it. Follow the instructions to approve it. It may take some hours for the email to arrive.

6. After approving the transfer at GoDaddy, keep going back to your new registrar to check if the transfer has been received, because you may need to approve it one more time. As I recall from last time, I had to approve it one more time at GoDaddy.

7. Double check that your nameservers have transferred correctly, that your domain is still accessible a day later (time for changes to ripple through the net), and that your new expiry date is old + however many years you purchased.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4515 posts
535 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Thanks for your detailed reply.

It pretty well reflects what I understand the process to be from GoDaddy.

However, when I googled just before posting here, Network Solutions was at the top of the list and they describe the domain transfer as follows:
A domain name transfer is the process of changing your domain name registrar from the company that maintains your domain registration to a new registrar. It’s simple, just enter the domain name(s) you want to transfer, enter your payment information and checkout, and authorize and accept the transfer. At Network Solutions, we ensure the process is simple and painless so you can get on with your day.
It basically says just enter your domain info, pay and we look after the rest - nothing about obtaining Authorization codes or even having to contact the current registrar (which actually makes sense).

I would like to move to a registrar who has reasonable renewal rates year after year - any specific ones I should look at?
BTW - the closest renewal date of my domains is the 3rd of April, so that should give me time to renew.

I also have web hosting with HostPapa who just processed a renewal for that service.
To my surprise they billed me the same amount for the next three years than what I paid for the last three years.
I have one "free" domain with them which is part of the hosting package, I think I'll check with them as well about transferring domains.... or is it not a good idea to have the domain registrar the same as the web host?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4515 posts
535 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Doing a search for a registrar with reasonable renewal rates, Namesilo stands out - also because a lot of options others charge for they provide free
https://www.namesilo.com/pricing.php

Anyone using them?
Jan 10, 2017
999 posts
413 upvotes
GTA
krs wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 11:30 am
Doing a search for a registrar with reasonable renewal rates, Namesilo stands out - also because a lot of options others charge for they provide free
https://www.namesilo.com/pricing.php

Anyone using them?
99% of RFDers are using namesilo, to save you the 100+ posts of people saying they do.
Information Security Analyst
---
Fido $15/3GB + voip.ms $1/M + 3cx PBX voip push client $0 + Google Server vps $0 = $16/Month voip solution with no battery drain.
Thread
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3179 posts
2153 upvotes
MadCanadian wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 1:33 pm
99% of RFDers are using namesilo, to save you the 100+ posts of people saying they do.
Poll? or WAG without basis?
Jan 10, 2017
999 posts
413 upvotes
GTA
Exp315 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 2:49 pm
Poll? or WAG without basis?
You are not the first to ask about cheap Domain registrars, usually get a person posting an asking thread once a month.

Last thread in hot deals being taken over by namesilo.
namecheap-hot-today-only-domain-transfe ... d-2176158/

You could create a poll if you wanted too.
---
Fido $15/3GB + voip.ms $1/M + 3cx PBX voip push client $0 + Google Server vps $0 = $16/Month voip solution with no battery drain.
Thread
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3179 posts
2153 upvotes
qbman2017 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 4:17 pm
Which registrar to transfer domains for $1?
You have to look for a promo. I've seen the 99-cent price many times from different vendors, but it's always temporary. Just Google for "99 cent domain" to see what (if anything) exists in the way of current offers. BTW that's only for the first year.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3179 posts
2153 upvotes
MadCanadian wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 3:45 pm
Last thread in hot deals being taken over by namesilo.
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/nameche ... d-2176158/
Worth a try next time I need to register a domain. But it's a bit of a stretch to extrapolate 4 people in that thread to 99% of RFD. :)

While I was updating my domain registration links, I routinely had another try at Frantech's BuyVM ultra-cheap web hosting that's been "out of stock" for a year, and what do you know? It's suddenly available again. 20 Gbyte host plan for $15/year, Las Vegas server, standard cpanel. Reviews from users are very good considering the ultra-low price. I'm grabbing it just to test.
... and yes,it's great: fast, no problems with cpanel setup. For $15/year, these guys rock!
Last edited by Exp315 on Mar 14th, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 10, 2017
999 posts
413 upvotes
GTA
Exp315 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 4:29 pm
Worth a try next time I need to register a domain. But it's a bit of a stretch to extrapolate 4 people in that thread to 99% of RFD. :)
Yes, but I also read your post in different people's perspective in this Computer help forum for the past year. It was just a recent example since RFD search sucks.
---
Thread
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3179 posts
2153 upvotes
MadCanadian wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 4:32 pm
Yes, but I also read your post in different people's perspective in this Computer help forum for the past year. It was just a recent example since RFD search sucks.
I'm not the OP who asked about registrars, just responding to his request about how to transfer away from GoDaddy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4515 posts
535 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Can someone tell me how I can request the authorization code from GoDaddy.

I looked high and low in my account at GoDaddy - lots of places to buy more but nothing that allows me to request this code I need to transfer my domain.
I'm transferring 7 domains so I assume I need a separate code for each?

-------------

So I found the transfer page.
There is an option to transfer out and a link to "Learn how", but if you click on the link it takes you to the page explaining the benefits to transfer into GoDaddy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4515 posts
535 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
OK - I finally found the page where one requests the authorization code.

But one has to do this for each domain separately - good thing I don't need to mode 1000 domains.

Then take each code separately and enter it in the field of the new registrar.

Not as quick and simple as advertised
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4515 posts
535 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Well - two of the seven accounts are .ca accounts
They have been transferred lickety split.

Already received the automated email from the new registrar and CIRA

The other five are limping along.