Transferring students from Public school to Catholic school

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2018 2:34 am
[OP]
Jan 14, 2005
327 posts
4 upvotes

Transferring students from Public school to Catholic school

Hi there. Does anyone have any experience successfully transferring their kids from a Peel elementary public school in to a Peel elementary Catholic school? Based on the documented process, it appears quite challenging to do this, and we have heard from several parents who have been unsuccessful. The principal of our school is willing to sign the transfer paperwork, however there are many other requirements involved. I appreciate any advice.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1218 posts
457 upvotes
OTTAWA
sketty55 wrote:
Aug 1st, 2018 12:40 pm
Hi there. Does anyone have any experience successfully transferring their kids from a Peel elementary public school in to a Peel elementary Catholic school? Based on the documented process, it appears quite challenging to do this, and we have heard from several parents who have been unsuccessful. The principal of our school is willing to sign the transfer paperwork, however there are many other requirements involved. I appreciate any advice.
I think the student or parent is required to be baptized Catholic at least for Elementary students. Otherwise there is no transfer document needed as far as I know. You simply register at the school for your area. If you are not Catholic it might be more difficult. I don't know how common faking a certificate is but I am sure it happens.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
21329 posts
8146 upvotes
Ottawa
Not sure why it is more difficult in Toronto, but here in Ottawa, our kid goes to a Catholic school and none of us our baptized.
Contact the school and move forward with the application process and see what happens next.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3487 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
^ TCDSB policy is that either the child or one parent has to be baptized RC to attend a Catholic elementary school. My impression is that districts surrounding Toronto are slightly more lenient.

When it comes to enrollment in the Catholic schools, there is a population of families that comes from "old stock" French- and Irish-origin Catholics, and then there is a population that comes from much more recent immigrants (post-WWII and even more recent immigration from Italy, Portugal, the Philippines, Latin America, parts of India, Malta, etc.). In the GTA we have plenty of the latter, so the Catholic schools fill up quickly. I think this is less of factor in the Ottawa area.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1218 posts
457 upvotes
OTTAWA
vkizzle wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2018 9:27 am
Not sure why it is more difficult in Toronto, but here in Ottawa, our kid goes to a Catholic school and none of us our baptized.
Contact the school and move forward with the application process and see what happens next.
How is it for them not being Catholic? I was surprised just how religious the curriculum is considering how secular we are now as a country.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)