Transferring students from Public school to Catholic school

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2018 2:00 pm
[OP]
Jan 14, 2005
328 posts
4 upvotes

Transferring students from Public school to Catholic school

Hi there. Does anyone have any experience successfully transferring their kids from a Peel elementary public school in to a Peel elementary Catholic school? Based on the documented process, it appears quite challenging to do this, and we have heard from several parents who have been unsuccessful. The principal of our school is willing to sign the transfer paperwork, however there are many other requirements involved. I appreciate any advice.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1362 posts
521 upvotes
OTTAWA
sketty55 wrote:
Aug 1st, 2018 12:40 pm
Hi there. Does anyone have any experience successfully transferring their kids from a Peel elementary public school in to a Peel elementary Catholic school? Based on the documented process, it appears quite challenging to do this, and we have heard from several parents who have been unsuccessful. The principal of our school is willing to sign the transfer paperwork, however there are many other requirements involved. I appreciate any advice.
I think the student or parent is required to be baptized Catholic at least for Elementary students. Otherwise there is no transfer document needed as far as I know. You simply register at the school for your area. If you are not Catholic it might be more difficult. I don't know how common faking a certificate is but I am sure it happens.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
23257 posts
9713 upvotes
Ottawa
Not sure why it is more difficult in Toronto, but here in Ottawa, our kid goes to a Catholic school and none of us our baptized.
Contact the school and move forward with the application process and see what happens next.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3630 posts
385 upvotes
Toronto
^ TCDSB policy is that either the child or one parent has to be baptized RC to attend a Catholic elementary school. My impression is that districts surrounding Toronto are slightly more lenient.

When it comes to enrollment in the Catholic schools, there is a population of families that comes from "old stock" French- and Irish-origin Catholics, and then there is a population that comes from much more recent immigrants (post-WWII and even more recent immigration from Italy, Portugal, the Philippines, Latin America, parts of India, Malta, etc.). In the GTA we have plenty of the latter, so the Catholic schools fill up quickly. I think this is less of factor in the Ottawa area.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1362 posts
521 upvotes
OTTAWA
vkizzle wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2018 9:27 am
Not sure why it is more difficult in Toronto, but here in Ottawa, our kid goes to a Catholic school and none of us our baptized.
Contact the school and move forward with the application process and see what happens next.
How is it for them not being Catholic? I was surprised just how religious the curriculum is considering how secular we are now as a country.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8774 posts
986 upvotes
Toronto
If you want a smooth process, one parent has to be Catholic and baptised (with certificate), same with the child. For adults, to become Catholic, you go through the RCIA process. Go to your nearest Catholic Church to find out. Basically it's like 1 year of weekly evening sessions.

Even if you don't believe in God, it's not horrible. The classes are nice, you meet friends. Treat it like you are getting in touch of your spiritual side. They aren't pushy or crazy religious. Be respectful and open. You may learn some new things and be more calmer.

After that, you should go to church every Sunday, but hey there is no attendance. But go as much as you can even if it's just to set a good example for your child whom you have chosen to send him/her to Catholic school.

After going a few times, you may enjoy the Sunday Mass. The songs are beautiful and enlightening. And you can join groups to help your community. Nothing wrong with that. Meet more friends and many friend your child from school will also go to the Same church. Even some teachers.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
1687 posts
262 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
fogetmylogin wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2018 2:34 am
How is it for them not being Catholic? I was surprised just how religious the curriculum is considering how secular we are now as a country.
Secular country? Which religious holidays do we give Canadians a stat holiday on? Easter and Christmas! That sounds very Catholic to me. Sorry I did not intend to have a catholic vs non catholic arguement so if I offend anyone please skip over my post or pm me directly and I will personally apologise to you via pm. Anyways If you want to go to catholic school be my guest! its great, I went to Catholic School all my life and enjoyed the school, and yes the other poster is right they do not push catholic in your face, if you do not want to practice it but still attend the school, then they are usually okay with that
Hi
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5286 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2018 9:27 am
When the particular school is not full then they will accept non-Catholic students so its a lot easier to get in vs Peel which I imagine would be close or over capacity already.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5286 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
fogetmylogin wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2018 2:34 am
I'm not a Catholic, but if your going to a Catholic school what are you expecting really? It is called the Catholic board for a reason.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
1687 posts
262 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Actually forgot to mention this earlier, one thing I did notice is Catholic schools are suffering from low enrollment now a days so they would gladly take a few non catholics and fill up the schools. This is not like 20 or 30 years ago when I went to Catholic schools, they were jam packed that they were turning people away and they even had to build portibles to house extra students, but it looks like a lot of the newcomers to canada are not catholic anymore and are not choosing Catholic schools to enroll their kids. This is a serious problem.
Hi
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
23257 posts
9713 upvotes
Ottawa
greg123 wrote:
Sep 4th, 2018 9:16 am
I'm not a Catholic, but if your going to a Catholic school what are you expecting really? It is called the Catholic board for a reason.
Likely due to school ratings.
School ratings, along with before and after school programs were other reasons for our decision.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1362 posts
521 upvotes
OTTAWA
GoodFellaz wrote:
Sep 4th, 2018 9:09 am
Secular country? Which religious holidays do we give Canadians a stat holiday on? Easter and Christmas! That sounds very Catholic to me. Sorry I did not intend to have a catholic vs non catholic arguement so if I offend anyone please skip over my post or pm me directly and I will personally apologise to you via pm. Anyways If you want to go to catholic school be my guest! its great, I went to Catholic School all my life and enjoyed the school, and yes the other poster is right they do not push catholic in your face, if you do not want to practice it but still attend the school, then they are usually okay with that
I think a lot of new Canadians and especially those from non-Christian countries misunderstand Canada's celebration of Easter and Christmas. Sure we have some religious people. But if 50 houses have Christmas trees maybe 5 actually think Jesus was the son of god. Actually in Suburban Toronto probably the houses without Christmas trees are more likely to believe this. (Religious Muslims believe he was a prophet)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)