Students

Transferring to University with low College GPA?

[OP]
Aug 23, 2019
1 posts

Transferring to University with low College GPA?

Hey everyone,

As the title says, is it possible to transfer to University in Ontario or Canada with a GPA below 3.0? I just graduated from Sheridan with a 2 year Diploma in Finance with a 2.5 GPA (lots of personal issues came up, working 50 hour weeks, etc) I am looking for advice on what my next step(s) should be (without having to retake 8-10 classes at Sheridan). I have looked all over, but it seems like no University in Ontario will take a transfer below a 3.0 for Commerce, so I feel as if I am transfer trapped. I don't care if none of my classes are transferable and I have to start from day 1, I just want to get into a University for Commerce. I am looking for any advice on what schools may be more lenient to my situation, etc. Please don't waste my time and say I simply "**** up" I already know that and just want advice on how I can get into University with what I have, any meaningful advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9893 posts
7178 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Well, considering one can get into an Ontario University straight out of HS...
I would think that getting in with a College Diploma would be a lot easier

And seeing as you are not necessarily looking to transfer any sort of credits... or get exemptions
When you say
“I don't care if none of my classes are transferable and I have to start from day 1, I just want to get into a University for Commerce”

I don’t honestly see why there would be an issue.

Have you actually contacted any University Admissions Offices to get their take on where you stand ?
As a mature student, with a College Diploma in hand
Albeit not the best of marks.
You still IMO are going to be in a better position than a HS Graduate with similar marks.

IMO, that’s the first place to start.
Make some calls, ask some questions.
Maybe go meet an Advisor who can give you accurate info on what you can and cannot expect to happen with your College Courses in regards to being credited, or if you truly are going to have to start over from scratch.

And oh ya ... the best of luck to you
It takes real courage to go back to school
Even more if it’s a case of you didn’t do so great the first time
Admirable too as they say pick yourself up & dust yourself off
And have now learned from the follies of youth
Which is exactly WHY ... you’d be considered entry as a MATURE STUDENT
Cuz you have gained some maturity.
Mar 6, 2015
385 posts
24 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Aug 24th, 2019 11:12 am
Which is exactly WHY ... you’d be considered entry as a MATURE STUDENT
Cuz you have gained some maturity.
If the OP has already taken college courses recently, I think the OP would not be a mature student.
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9893 posts
7178 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
cybercavalier wrote:
Aug 24th, 2019 1:38 pm
If the OP has already taken college courses recently, I think the OP would not be a mature student.
I guess it depends on the College / Uni ... or perhaps region / Province

I know in some places the definition means one is someone who doesn’t have a HS Diploma
While in others, it refers to age, or time since completing HS (ie Beyond 21 years old)

That’s more the definition I was looking at in my reply
Meanwhile OP,
I found this quote from the University of Waterloo Website, as an example of how Students from Community Colleges are evaluated
How do you transfer community college credits?

Transfer credits are assessed automatically for students who accept their offer of admission to Waterloo. You may need to submit some or all of your course syllabi, depending on what we have previously evaluated.

If you're transferring from colleges or universities in Ontario, you can use the ONTransfer.ca course transfer guide to see what courses might be transferred from one institution to another. Your grades, and in some cases, the program you are pursuing will be considered by the university you plan to attend.

Is it hard to transfer from community college to university?

The transfer process is relatively straightforward. You'll apply for admission through the Ontario Universities' Application Centre and then send your high school and post-secondary transcripts to Waterloo. The admissions committee will then review all of this information to determine admissibility.

While most programs will consider college courses in place of high school courses, some programs, such as Engineering, require you to be admissible based on your academic background from high school (in addition to performing well in your college program).
Still though, I think it worthwhile to speak to an Advisor for info / advice
BEFORE even applying
Jul 31, 2017
540 posts
205 upvotes
Mature student status requires one to be away from formal education for a set period of time.
Sep 2, 2015
119 posts
26 upvotes
East York, ON
Probably not. You might get lucky and they ask you to write a letter explaining it, in which case they will take you if you can persuade them that you won't screw up if they let you in.

Alternately you could try going to college again and take more classes to boost your gpa.
Aug 23, 2019
418 posts
220 upvotes
evadetweets wrote:
Aug 24th, 2019 2:51 am
Hey everyone,

As the title says, is it possible to transfer to University in Ontario or Canada with a GPA below 3.0? I just graduated from Sheridan with a 2 year Diploma in Finance with a 2.5 GPA (lots of personal issues came up, working 50 hour weeks, etc) I am looking for advice on what my next step(s) should be (without having to retake 8-10 classes at Sheridan). I have looked all over, but it seems like no University in Ontario will take a transfer below a 3.0 for Commerce, so I feel as if I am transfer trapped. I don't care if none of my classes are transferable and I have to start from day 1, I just want to get into a University for Commerce. I am looking for any advice on what schools may be more lenient to my situation, etc. Please don't waste my time and say I simply "**** up" I already know that and just want advice on how I can get into University with what I have, any meaningful advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you
but why OP? but why?
You got your diploma, go get a job. With a diploma in Finance, get your CSC and CPH and get a job as a financial advisor at a bank. Don't waste your time with more school. Unless you are going to pursue an MBA then I think you're wasting your time, and with all due respect, you're not MBA material with a 2.5 GPA out of College.

I was working full time, going to school full time, and still managed a HONORS out of George Brown. It was too easy. But I'm an enigma of sorts.