• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2019 6:29 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
2879 posts
2277 upvotes

Transferwise - faster than a credit card payment

I'm not whinging and it doesn't bother me.

Now that we have this out of the way, how is it possible in this day and age that a Forex transaction between 2 different countries shows up faster in my bank account than a credit card payment from the same country?

Of course, I am talking about cards issued by different providers than your bank. I am aware that payments from TD bank account to your TD credit card show almost instantaneously.
26 replies
Apr 19, 2017
416 posts
262 upvotes
I havent had any problems with them.
AirBnB, Carrot, CucuCovers, DROP, Foodora, GreatCanadianRebates, LendingLoop, Mintos, PayMi, PayTM, Ritual, Stack, Swagbucks, Tangerine, TransferWise, Uber, Wealthsimple, Wealthsimple Trade
May 31, 2018
180 posts
237 upvotes
Saskatchewan
Is this along the same lines as I can receive a package in the mail from Hong Kong faster than one sent from 3 towns over? Some things are just amazingly efficient. Or, other things are just incredibly inefficient.

Although now that you mention it, even the wire transfers from Knightsbridge seemed incredibly fast. So I'm guessing for day to day stuff our banking system is working on the "hey, it works" principle and is probably quite inefficient.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
4487 posts
4335 upvotes
Vancouver
Credit card payments in this country still use the very same daily clearance system that was put in place a half century ago for processing paper cheques. I look forward to the day when all payments are made through real e-transfers and are instantaneous, instead of an e-payment window dressing over the ancient clunky system that still forms the backbone of commerce here.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Jan 16, 2007
617 posts
457 upvotes
Payments Canada is working on it, hopefully it goes well (ahahahahahahaha it'll probably still be a mess).
Penalty Box
Dec 16, 2017
2063 posts
807 upvotes
Raincouver
Bill payment system in Canada is manually processed daily as @Kiraly said above.
*cut off time 6PM here and there.

TransferWise OTOH,
- If you pay them w/ a card online, yes it'd be quite fast. Direct debit, not so much.
- Fees: TW is no longer competitive given the new fee implemented on incoming bill pay and fees on withdrawal.
CAN/USA Cross Border Banking

Netflix? Bill me in Turkish Lira, Watch Me around the world.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2009
1467 posts
581 upvotes
dekvitaly wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 1:44 pm
Bill payment system in Canada is manually processed daily as @Kiraly said above.

TransferWise OTOH,
- If you pay them w/ a card online, yes it'd be quite fast. Direct debit, not so much.
- Fees: TW is no longer competitive given the new fee implemented on incoming bill pay and fees on withdrawal.
The incoming bill pay fee is bad, but what is a more competitive alternative? Haven't been able to find one. Worldremit and XE end up costing even more, even after the new TW fee.
May 31, 2018
180 posts
237 upvotes
Saskatchewan
gbill2004 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 6:19 pm
What does whinging mean?
Whining, snivelling, complaining etc.. More of a British term I believe.
Penalty Box
Dec 16, 2017
2063 posts
807 upvotes
Raincouver
bubak wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 7:12 pm
The incoming bill pay fee is bad, but what is a more competitive alternative? Haven't been able to find one. Worldremit and XE end up costing even more, even after the new TW fee.
I like Knightbridge (recently featured on Drangon's Dens)
CAN/USA Cross Border Banking

Netflix? Bill me in Turkish Lira, Watch Me around the world.
Jan 2, 2009
134 posts
30 upvotes
Ontario
dekvitaly wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 1:44 pm

TransferWise OTOH,
Can you please elaborate on that incoming bill pay and withdrawal fee you mentioned above? I have used TransferWise few times to transfer money abroad.
Aug 1, 2006
352 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
dekvitaly wrote:
Jan 18th, 1970 7:04 pm
I like Knightbridge (recently featured on Drangon's Dens)
Just compared online Knightsbridge to Transferwise to OFX
100,000 CAD buys 74,810 US for Knightsbridge, 74,295 US for Transferwise. and 74389 for OFX .
You think Transferwise is starting to increase their margins now that they have been in business for a while?
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2009
1467 posts
581 upvotes
Bull Dog wrote:
Apr 18th, 2019 5:20 pm
Just compared online Knightsbridge to Transferwise to OFX
100,000 CAD buys 74,810 US for Knightsbridge, 74,295 US for Transferwise. and 74389 for OFX .
You think Transferwise is starting to increase their margins now that they have been in business for a while?
Where did you find Knightsbridge's rate online? I thought you have to call them for a quote.

(The converter on their homepage is not their actual rate. It's the mid-market rate that nobody will actually give you.)
Aug 1, 2006
352 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
bubak wrote:
Apr 18th, 2019 6:52 pm
Where did you find Knightsbridge's rate online? I thought you have to call them for a quote.

(The converter on their homepage is not their actual rate. It's the mid-market rate that nobody will actually give you.)
Oh, that's what I used, no wonder it seemed a lot better. It'd be simpler if they could just publish their rate online.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18974 posts
1395 upvotes
Just be thankful you are not in the US.

In the US, when you do an online bill payment, what often happens behind the scenes is your bank prints out a cheque and snail-mails it to the recipient company / agency.

Yes EBP payments in Canada are not zero-day, nor are they as fast as Interac e-transfers but they are far ahead of many countries. The payments system in Canada actually works pretty well overall. And Interac actually exists in Canada, so you don't have to rely on sketchy companies like Venmo to do the job that banks are supposed to do.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings