107 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Right !!!!

I keep forgetting that. Thanks for the reminder. :D
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2007
2372 posts
442 upvotes
Save yourself some money and go to your bank, meet with a loans officer, muse about getting a loan, and they'll do an instant credit check with FICO score.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2004
4154 posts
119 upvotes
Yup this blows. I was able to get TransUnion even through all the garbled text of "Terry".

However, Equifax wont let me continue without me first inputting my SIN. I haven't found a way around this. I like that TU gives the option of giving a credit card number instead.

Oh well, no Equifax for now.
Aug 28, 2006
889 posts
160 upvotes
What's wrong with giving out your SIN to Equifax or Transunion? If there's ANY organization you should trust, I would think it would be them.

I ask for ppl's SIN all the time as it's required for life insurance.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
1727 posts
166 upvotes
Kitchener
klover wrote:
Jul 28th, 2008 9:52 am
Save yourself some money and go to your bank, meet with a loans officer, muse about getting a loan, and they'll do an instant credit check with FICO score.
This isn't a good idea.... this instant credit check yields a "hard inquiry" on your credit file which will decrease your FICO score (as it appears you are attempting to seek credit...)
Aug 28, 2006
889 posts
160 upvotes
klover wrote:
Jul 28th, 2008 9:52 am
that's the absolute worst bloody idea ever. not only will you get a HARD hit on your credit score for "actively seeking credit" as mentioned above, you'll also waste somebody's valuable time because you're too damn cheap.

horrible, horrible advice.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
1941 posts
9 upvotes
You can get your free report in person from a local TransUnion office. It's even safer than call-in or mail-in information. You need to be in or near one of those cities where they have a branch though. http://www.transunion.ca/ca/personal/cr ... on_en.page

List of cities where they have a branch (address on the website):
Burnaby, BC
St. John's, NL
Halifax, NS
Hamilton, ON
Charlottetown, PEI
Laval, QC
Aug 28, 2006
889 posts
160 upvotes
Ironically, after posting in this thread I checked my mail and there is was, 6 days later including the weekend.

Absolutely everything was correct except my current employer which was 7 years (and 4 employers ago) out of date. Is this information even important to keep up to date?
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
2632 posts
107 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
CONTROL ONE wrote:
Jul 28th, 2008 3:14 pm
What's wrong with giving out your SIN to Equifax or Transunion? If there's ANY organization you should trust, I would think it would be them.

I ask for ppl's SIN all the time as it's required for life insurance.
The SIN is a key piece of information required for identity theft.
Only very specific organizations require the SIN information - credit reporting bureaus are definitely not one of them.

I also don't see life insurance on the list of organizations that require the SIN. Why is the SIN required for life insurance?

Brings up a question in my mind........Equifax at least uses the SIN to help identify an individual. I never provided my SIN to Equifax. So where did they get it - obviously from a bank or financial institution because the credit card people don't have my SIN and the tax people would certainly not provide it to Equifax.

And forget about the idea of TRUSTING any organization with your confidential private information. Remember how CIBC faxed private individuals banking information to some automotive garage in the States (I think) and that went on for a year and then CIBC again "lost" the banking informatin because some employee 'forgot' something somewhere?
I would have to google to find the nitty gritty details, but they are not really important.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2004
1090 posts
12 upvotes
ibear wrote:
Jul 28th, 2008 8:15 pm
You can get your free report in person from a local TransUnion office. It's even safer than call-in or mail-in information. You need to be in or near one of those cities where they have a branch though. http://www.transunion.ca/ca/personal/cr ... on_en.page

List of cities where they have a branch (address on the website):
Burnaby, BC
St. John's, NL
Halifax, NS
Hamilton, ON
Charlottetown, PEI
Laval, QC
Out of all the cities in Ontario only Hamilton!...damn!
Oct 11, 2005
86 posts
Calgary
For the record, I requested my info from TransUnion and Equifax over the phone on the morning of Tuesday, July 22. I received TransUnion information on Monday, July 28 (within the 3-5 business day window). Equifax info arrived on Thursday, July 31 (outside the same specified window).

YMMV.

Ben
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2338 posts
163 upvotes
Canada
CalgaryBen wrote:
Aug 5th, 2008 5:08 pm
For the record, I requested my info from TransUnion and Equifax over the phone on the morning of Tuesday, July 22. I received TransUnion information on Monday, July 28 (within the 3-5 business day window). Equifax info arrived on Thursday, July 31 (outside the same specified window).

YMMV.

Ben
How'd you do the Transunion one over the phone? It says you have to mail it in or go to their office.
Jan 27, 2007
527 posts
72 upvotes
Calgary
This code is still valid, I just used it and it worked

$14.95 to VISA - ****************
$7.95 to Gift Certificate - CUST********FBFB

Thanks OP
Mar 26, 2007
265 posts
8 upvotes
Sopranos wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2008 2:58 pm
This code is still valid, I just used it and it worked

$14.95 to VISA - ****************
$7.95 to Gift Certificate - CUST********FBFB

Thanks OP
On which site you tried the coupon code. It's not working on the transunion.ca. Please confirm.
× < >