Personal Finance

TransUnion score usually higher than Equifax's?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2010 10:35 am
Tags:
None
Feb 25, 2007
793 posts
6 upvotes

TransUnion score usually higher than Equifax's?

From reading posts on this forum, it seems that a person's TransUnion score is usually higher than his/her Equifax credit score. Is this true? Which score is more accurate? From your experience, by what percentage is Equifax score lower than TransUnion's? Thanks.
15 replies
Jun 4, 2007
344 posts
7 upvotes
I think this is true for most people just because more of the big banks use Equifax than Transunion. So all their minor payment problems are likely to show up with Equifax. Most people have missed a payment or two in seven years.

I recently pulled both reports and I'm the opposite because both my main credit cards report first to TransUnion. So there are a couple of late payments from 4 years ago on my TU that are not on my Equifax report.
[OP]
Feb 25, 2007
793 posts
6 upvotes
This is a great question and one that's been a very hot topic. The reason you're seeing a discrepancy is because you purchased scores from two different scoring systems. The score you bought from TransUnion is their consumer version of your credit score, but it's not your FICO
Banned
Sep 11, 2008
404 posts
3 upvotes
GTA West
dryang wrote:
Apr 7th, 2009 6:26 pm
found this online.
American
Mortgage Agent Licence M08006899
Mortgage Brokerage Licence 11157
[OP]
Feb 25, 2007
793 posts
6 upvotes
confused student wrote:
Apr 7th, 2009 6:43 pm
American

So in Canada, the score i get from transunion is also fico score?
Sep 9, 2005
669 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
dryang wrote:
Apr 7th, 2009 6:51 pm
So in Canada, the score i get from transunion is also fico score?
No. When you get your score from TransUnion, you get "TransUnion TransRisk Account ManagementSM Credit Score". That's taken directly from their website last time I checked my score with them.

Incidentally, My Equifax score is always significantly higher than TU, even though there's more information on it. Also, the information is always more accurate and current on it.
Banned
Sep 11, 2008
404 posts
3 upvotes
GTA West
Salinger wrote:
Apr 7th, 2009 7:26 pm
No. When you get your score from TransUnion, you get "TransUnion TransRisk Account ManagementSM Credit Score". That's taken directly from their website last time I checked my score with them.

Incidentally, My Equifax score is always significantly higher than TU, even though there's more information on it. Also, the information is always more accurate and current on it.
What I was pointing out is American is that there are many different scores different people sell. And Equifax is the big one, lenders use TU mostly for checking for anything not reported to Equifax, not for the score.
Mortgage Agent Licence M08006899
Mortgage Brokerage Licence 11157
Nov 8, 2004
261 posts
7 upvotes
Montreal
In my case, TU gave me 800 and EQ gave me 700. but TU got updated info compared to EQ. Also all banks from my experience used EQ.
Apr 12, 2005
79 posts
13 upvotes
My experience is that Equifax is much more accurate than Transunion. Transunion is horrendous. Equifax got all my info right. On the Transunion report, I have only one out of the 3 names listed, lived at 2 out of the 9 address listed, own 9 out of the 26 credit cards/revolving loan listed. And of course there are several bad debts that don't belong to me. Just thinking about how to write them is giving me a headache...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
7755 posts
3651 upvotes
In my gf's case, the scores differed by 50+ points when comparing the two ... I gotta pull mine this time through equifax to see where I stand with them.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
15400 posts
1248 upvotes
Langley
Last time I checked them at a similar time, the Equifax score was 80 points higher then Transunion. Usually I check them each once a year, about 6 months apart from each other.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
2462 posts
149 upvotes
ppthomas wrote:
Apr 7th, 2009 10:08 pm
In my case, TU gave me 800 and EQ gave me 700. but TU got updated info compared to EQ. Also all banks from my experience used EQ.
RBC uses TransUnion
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1698 posts
54 upvotes
Windsor
mine's around 830 from TU, the last time I pulled an Equifax it was mid 700's with TU being around 800... can't pull another updated Equifax, as it says it can't verify my identity.. (which was done the last time I did a credit score) using the same login and password.. at this point I don't really care, since a credit score is largely useless anyways.
Deal Addict
May 29, 2009
1067 posts
52 upvotes
Sorry to dig up this thread, but what's the best way to pull a credit score? Are there free ways such as asking your bank? I only know of the free credit report requests done by mail or phone (Equifax).
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2009
1243 posts
75 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Transunion is one big mess IMO!

First off, they have 3 addresses listed on my report that I never lived at, or even know anyone who lived there?

They also have me with an alias name "also known as".

and they royally screwed up my account with Wells Fargo. WF gave me an R9 by their mistake, sent Eq & TU a request to correct it to R1, Eq corrected it within 24 hours & my score went back to 700+, TU kept the R9, but added a 2nd account instead, WF ask them that they immediately fix that, and they went and added a 3rd account instead.

They're just horrible! How some banks/creditors even use a company like this is beyond belief. When I called into their customer service they're complete airheads too. I must of had to fax them Wells Fargo's request for correction a dozen times, as well as Wells Fargo faxing it themselves for me, along with calling them. I spoke to the women directly at WF who dealt with my account correction and she even said she's surprised they still use TU because this happens all the time.
× < >