Travel agents - All Inclusive Vacations

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2018 12:58 am
[OP]
Aug 16, 2010
256 posts
36 upvotes

Travel agents - All Inclusive Vacations

Looking for someone to correct me if I'm wrong. But I believe travel agents provide no financial benefit when it comes to booking an all inclusive vacation.

The pricing from all the online sites is the same. Comes from the same database. Certain sites offer bonuses(prepaid visa, let it snow campaign etc). But a travel agent provides no benefit on price. I can see if your not sure where to go they may have knowledge and recommendations. But beyond that....
15 replies
Aug 5, 2007
630 posts
91 upvotes
Every service has its purpose. I usually only book online out of convenience, however the last all inclusive I went to, I went through a travel agent. They ended up having a promo going on for $100 credit if I spent over $1000. The room I was looking at was $950 and the next one up was $1050. So I upgraded the room for free.

I checked online the sites to see if they had a similar promo, but the closest thing I could find was $50 voucher towards a future trip or something like that.

Use whatever best suits your style and comfort level
May 7, 2015
511 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If you're booking the same ITC packages offered by Air Canada Vacations, Sunwing, Transat, etc. then yes travel agents all use the exact same price, the prices are set by the vacation companies. Where you might see a difference is if you are piecing it together and doing flight and hotel separately with different companies and/or wholesalers, sometimes it works out cheaper. And there are some properties, because of flight schedules and their agreements with certain companies, are impossible to do for non-standard durations (ie other than 7 or 14 day packages) unless you book flight and hotel separately. This might open up different possibilities that you can't see online

Of course there's other benefits to using a travel agent, but since you seem to be so focused on price, those are a couple big ones.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
3083 posts
229 upvotes
Toronto
We are in the process of booking an AI to Mexico for December.

If you call Selloff, iTravel, Redtag, etc, they all offer $50 or more / person as a discount. Cheaper than booking it yourself online.

You waive the price drop protection, but that is useless anyways since they have a $50/person administrative charge to process a price-drop and it's just one price-drop you are allowed.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1167 posts
405 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
TA (well a good one) can help you out and point the best resort that will suit your needs. Things change all the time (construction, beach conditions etc) and can offer you the advice. You aren't paying for any more for that service so why not?

You can start by asking around if anyone has any recommendations... calling Sell Off, Trip Central, Itravel etc is good as well. Just like any other profession there are people that are great at their job... and other ones who aren't.
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
966 upvotes
Niagara Falls
We use a TA for our all inclusives. She often comes in a bit cheaper than the cheapest I find online. Often she gets us better flight times too with no upcharge. They have access to the absolute most current pricing unlike many online sites. Our TA also tends to get up ungraded room category or premium location and a few other perks too. It costs us nothing to use a TA so why not. Shes also a wealth of info when we are going somewhere new or say when our son needs suggestions for their honeymoon. She spit out a list of a dozen places none of us had even thought was possible in their budget. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5585 posts
340 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
bumping this, any recommendations for people to help booking an all inclusive?
Regards,
--
m4gician
I like to detail cars. If you have any detailing questions I'd love to help! Tweet or Email anytime!
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
1008 posts
536 upvotes
m4gician wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 10:34 pm
bumping this, any recommendations for people to help booking an all inclusive?
Yes, first read these two pages:

https://www.theclever.com/20-nasty-fact ... idnt-know/
https://web.archive.org/web/20151011162 ... rts-arent/

Then if you still want to go... start shopping. But just say no to swim-up bars. Notice the drunks who are in the pool drinking non-stop for hours but never get out to use the washroom?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5585 posts
340 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 10:52 pm
Yes, first read these two pages:

https://www.theclever.com/20-nasty-fact ... idnt-know/
https://web.archive.org/web/20151011162 ... rts-arent/

Then if you still want to go... start shopping. But just say no to swim-up bars. Notice the drunks who are in the pool drinking non-stop for hours but never get out to use the washroom?
the second link, meh. I really want to unplug and do nothing. for the most part I can still try the local food so I can figure that part out.

But thanks for the info...
Regards,
--
m4gician
I like to detail cars. If you have any detailing questions I'd love to help! Tweet or Email anytime!
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1167 posts
405 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
BeanFinn wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 11:34 pm
They get $250 comisison
Commission is based on the TA's contract with the specific supplier (tour operator, hotel/resort, cruise line, airline, car rental agency etc). It varies.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
2720 posts
1341 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 11:05 pm

Seen one seen'em all:

http://www.travelandleisure.com/trip-id ... y-day-2018
Lol... I might give you that on TAs & AIs (both the subject of this thread)

But NEVER on Beaches... every beach the world over is different
May I be blessed enough to spend the rest of my life finding & enjoying ones that are new to me
Last edited by PointsHubby on Jan 14th, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4708 posts
346 upvotes
Victoria
As far as I know pricebeat has the best kickback from the commission. I believe it's $100 giftcard or at least that's what I've got in the past.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
1008 posts
536 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 14th, 2018 8:55 pm
Lol... I might give you that on TAs & AIs (both the subject of this thread)

But NEVER on Beaches... every beach the world over is different
May I be blessed enough to spend the rest of my life finding & enjoying ones that are new to me
If I happen to be somewhere with a beach, I'm close to that beach, and I have time for it (California, Florida, New Jersey, Dubai, etc) I might go to it to see it. However, I prefer not to waste a week of my life (or the rest of my life...) on a beach. Life's too short to stare at the same thing for too long...
Water, sand, palm trees, and sky/sunsets look the same everywhere (that's what I was demonstrating with that link). And I'm no fan of hot weather either... It gets hot and humid enough here in the GTA every summer, I don't see the point in flying to Cuba/DR/Mexico in the summer.

That's my point. Not everybody shares your enthusiasm for "sun and sand" (or AI resorts). Vive la difference. I'm actually enjoying the arctic blast -- this weather separates the men from the boys :-)