• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2018 7:47 am
[OP]
Nov 14, 2014
354 posts
151 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

Travel camera with all day battery and good low light performance

I have been using my smartphone and it works for most of my needs. However, I am having problems with low light performance and battery running out like crazy. So, I am hunting for a good camera with the following characteristics

1. Decent low light performance
2. OIS
3. All day battery
4. Weather proof would be good.
5. Less than 1000$ ...including tax

I would like to avoid having to carry backup battery. Prefer something pocketable but I can probably settle for some mirrorless with pancake lens (I doubt I will buy any additional lens). Which camera would you recommend?
Last edited by whyami on Nov 5th, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
19 replies
[OP]
Nov 14, 2014
354 posts
151 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
1000...including tax
Feb 12, 2017
31 posts
14 upvotes
Calgary
Frankly, as soon as you request a pocketable device and all day battery power, you've ruled out every pocketable camera and slightly bigger ones too. As far as I know, only DSLRs and select mirrorless cameras can shoot over 800 photos in non-burst mode (last all day while activated or on).

I suggest that if you want a dedicated camera that is ready to shoot in an instant and compact, look for a premium fixed lens camera. Examples are the Panasonic LX100 II, Fuji XT100, Sony RX100 series (models I through VI) -- those are among the most ergonomic, full control (lots of buttons/dials), highest image quality models on the market with a built-in lens. If you want something more compact and cheaper, look at the Canon and NIkon compact camera lineups, but you will generally be giving up low light performance to go under $1000.

If you really need weatherproofness, look at an Olympus TG-5, NIkon WS300, or Panasonic TS7.

If you are travelling and expect to be shooting a lot, carry one or two extra batteries. Batteries are affordable if you buy third-party, such as from Amazon, eBay, or AliExpress.

Kevin
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4030 posts
474 upvotes
no such thing as all day battery if it's fully electronic
think about it, it has to steady the glass, and presuming it's a P&S it has to constantly use the motor to zoom, focus, open & close, then the processor has to apply NR etc, and if it's got a OLED viewfinder...that's a even more demanding screen it has to power
and if you take any videos, yeah you'll definitely need a spare or two
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Jul 12, 2010
428 posts
66 upvotes
I agree at that budget and wanting that size... impossible to have it run all day you need spare batteries.. or USB battery pack connected to it - which I hate cuz I'm scared of snapping /breaking the charging port. I did like the IQ and travel size of the sony rx100 mark 5.. but returned it just due to battery (felt like 2 hours and it was dead) and ergonomics, felt really small and I;m use to DSLR ease of use and changing settings...

I kind of wanna recommend like a XT-3 but budget and size is kind of out the window...and even that you need atleast 1 extra battery for all day
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4030 posts
474 upvotes
rx100 spend that $20 for the grip, makes it quite usable
mark V haven't pushed it a whole day but decent for casual stills
forget videos! absolute battery hog
Russell wrote:
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

[OP]
Nov 14, 2014
354 posts
151 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Thanks for all the replies. Probably I should just buy a powerbank to charge my phone..lol. Why can't they improve batteries instead of making everything thin.
Nov 4, 2016
675 posts
384 upvotes
Your best bet is to get a USB charger with 3 or 4 spare batteries for your camera. You can then charge them inside your backpack with a power bank. Should weight very little if they are in your backpack. Keep your camera in your camera bag for easy access.

Something like this.

For travel with low light performance, I recommend a mirrorless camera with pancake lens. They are better than P&S even with zoom. You can chop a picture from a mirrorless and there is your zoom. I had been using my Canon M with the F2 22mm lens and is very happy.
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4030 posts
474 upvotes
sorry, quite a few not-so-ideal advice in your post CCHIPPS

duno about your travel style, but battery pack + charger + a few batteries on your back all day will get old, fast...and i say this as someone who carries around a crop body + small zoom, mavic, often the tripod and sometimes with gimbal too

no, you can't just 'chop' an image to replace a zoom, unless you have like 36MP+ or it's only going on snapchats/insta

mind you i havent played with the latest and greatest fuji, but i'm willing to bet the typical mirrorless + pancake doesn't actually outperform a rx 100 V, even at 24mm. They're pancakes for a reason...their optics had to take sacrifice somewhere, can't cheat physics
Russell wrote:

Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1481 posts
80 upvotes
You can get a small powerbank that acts like a handle for your camera while supplying power which helps stabilize your shots a bit. It's 3000 mah so you'll get like 4-5 hours out of it if your using it constantly. Otherwise it should last you a good chunk of the day. https://store.feiyu-tech.com/products/f ... crew-ports

I currently use this coupled with my rx100 v which has terrible battery life. I use it for shooting videos and can get all my work done and still have some juice left. There is a 1/4 inch both at the top and bottom which allows me to mount it to my gimbal too which has been a godsend because previously I had to attach a mini tripod to it wrapped around a powerbank with velcro. It was quite bit and bulky and got in the way. If not enough juice then just buy a second one.
May 1, 2016
45 posts
12 upvotes
Sorry to bug your thread, did not want to start new one,
best buy have this Canon Sl2 with 2 lenses around 700+tax, suits my budget. Is this a good deal, or should I wait for Black Friday sale. 2. Is this camera good for family portraits.
thanks
Feb 12, 2017
31 posts
14 upvotes
Calgary
MONEY95 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 12:59 pm
best buy have this Canon Sl2 with 2 lenses around 700+tax, suits my budget. Is this a good deal, or should I wait for Black Friday sale. 2. Is this camera good for family portraits.
thanks
Although I have not handled a Canon Rebel SL2, online magazine reviews say the camera has good image quality, and $700 is a good price for a two-lens package.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon- ... 00d-review

The camera and provided lenses should take excellent outdoor portraits. For low light (indoor) portraits, you may eventually want to buy a larger aperture lens and a flash that can be bounced or remotely controlled for better lighting.

Mirrorless cameras offer the advantages of more focus points, potentially smaller size (when including equivalent lenses which will be smaller), and potentially more responsive live view on the back screen (for shooting still photos or video). However, Canon has the best live view on DSLRs, equalling or surpassing live view performance on some mirrorless cameras, and the battery is rated for 650 shots, about double the number estimated for many mirrorless cameras. The SL2 screen is also articulated like a mirrorless camera screen so it gains a bonus point.

The SL2 package seems like a good choice based on price and being capable for what you want. I see the sale ends today (November 15). I would wait for Black Friday or Christmas so you don't need to rush.
Aug 1, 2010
919 posts
494 upvotes
Montreal
MONEY95 wrote:
thanks
The price should be the same for BF but will have added value like a bag and extra batteries.
Aug 20, 2018
49 posts
33 upvotes
MONEY95 wrote:
thanks
I would skip Canon SL2 and go Canon M100, mirrorless. Both similarly spec'd, except the M100 doesn't have a mirror slap and it has a smaller form factor. You can get the 22mm pancake lens and it will have a small form factor. The 22mm is good for using indoors for family portraits, eating dinner, group photos, etc. The original price was $469.99, it is now $429.99

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ca ... 31653.aspx?

Sample gallery:
https://www.flickr.com/groups/4247360@N22/