Art and Photography

Travel camera with all day battery and good low light performance

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2018 7:47 am
Mar 14, 2018
26 posts
54 upvotes
Cannot go wrong with a rx100. I would go at least mark 2 or above for pics but if you want amazing videos, mark 4 or above. People say its a very expensive camera but for what you get in such a tiny package, its an absolute steal! Similar lenses cost as much as the camera.
Nov 4, 2016
679 posts
385 upvotes
twitchyzero wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 3:04 am
sorry, quite a few not-so-ideal advice in your post CCHIPPS

duno about your travel style, but battery pack + charger + a few batteries on your back all day will get old, fast...and i say this as someone who carries around a crop body + small zoom, mavic, often the tripod and sometimes with gimbal too

no, you can't just 'chop' an image to replace a zoom, unless you have like 36MP+ or it's only going on snapchats/insta

mind you i havent played with the latest and greatest fuji, but i'm willing to bet the typical mirrorless + pancake doesn't actually outperform a rx 100 V, even at 24mm. They're pancakes for a reason...their optics had to take sacrifice somewhere, can't cheat physics
I am speaking from my personal experience. But the number 1 enemy to travel photography for me is night time. That's why I want to get the biggest sensor with the fastest lens. Else the high ISO will ruin the picture. I find myself needing that more than zoom.
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4032 posts
474 upvotes
low light will make 'chopping' an image to replace a zoom even LESS ideal
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Nov 4, 2016
679 posts
385 upvotes
twitchyzero wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 1:12 am
low light will make 'chopping' an image to replace a zoom even LESS ideal
No, I don't mean I am going to chop an evening image with ISO set to 6400. That won't work. XD

But a picture taken in day time with ISO 100 is perfectly choppable (if needed). I got plenty of those in my travels.

And in my friend's indoor wedding I chopped some images with ISO 800, and they were fine. Of course they aren't professional level clear. But usable.

As for the evening shots, I don't chop them. All I am saying is I need that huge sensor and that fast lens to capture evening shots in my travels. Else the noise would be terrible.

To me when I travel, I can in most cases chop images to replace zooming. However I cannot fix the noise in an evening shots if the sensor is small or the lens is slow. This is my personal opinion.

For the record, I also take my SX540 with me when I travel to fill my zooming needs. But I find myself rarely taking that out. My M1 with the 22mm pancake lens does most of the work.

If someone wants a well rounder, they can take the kit's 15-45 or 18-55 lens. But the evening performance would be less.
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11551 posts
2376 upvotes
Ottawa
RX100 is my travel camera. I have a bigger sensor camera with several primes and good zooms but it's staying at home. My phone takes care of the rest. I have a Gopro with gimbal for videos too

If subjects aren't moving, the RX100 has a "low night multiple shots mode", which takes multiple shots, combines them together which subtracts out the noise. So you can get usable pictures practically in the dark. Of course, you need to do it on a tripod or place the camera on a solid surface for best results.