• Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2019 9:39 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2007
1433 posts
3 upvotes

Travel insurance for 1 year trip

I have been seeking travel insurance for a continuous trip around many countries over the next year. I found many travel insurance policies cap out after 30 or 60 days. I have no insurance through any employer. The only one I found was World Nomad but it was over 1600 cdn for 1 year. Anyone know of any other options or ideas?
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5448 posts
674 upvotes
Scarborough
Go without insurance brother. Eff em
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9988 posts
2333 upvotes
Markham
The longer is the trip, the higher risk it has. Sometimes, the best is just to come back (even for one day), then depart again as a separate trip.
The insurance can be a lot cheaper on 2 trips of 183 days than one long trip of 365 days,
Last edited by MP3_SKY on Jun 11th, 2019 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
8790 posts
6210 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Look at Medipac
They are known to be one of the best in the biz

It is true that most Travel Insurance / Travel Medical Insurance Companies will sell either individual short term trip insurance
Or else short to medium annual plan coverage ... the latter is where you pay once ... and it doesn’t matter how many trips you make
It’s alsomwhy you hear about peeps having to fly home to Canada regularly on a long term trip
With Medipac that is either a 23 Day or 33 Day Plan
(With Other Companies their Numbers could be different 14 & 21 are common numbers ... the CAA we have is I believe 15 & 30)
And in some policies top ups can also be purchased to these annual plans if one’s going to be gone longer
One year we topped up our 30 Day Policy to 35 Days = 5 Weeks

Medipac though, also offers more than just basic Travel Insurance & Travel Medical Insurance
They also cover pre existing conditions
And long term policies
Which is why they are the go to for many snowbirds
I think their longest continual run policy is 212 Days = 30 Weeks

But you should definitely give them a call to get more info
To see what they offer / suggest to jive with your travel plans
https://www.medipac.com/travel-insurance#insurance
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1820 posts
756 upvotes
Singapore
apnayloags wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 11:35 am
Go without insurance brother. Eff em
Bad advice. If one is going away for a year, I would highly recommend it (as oppose to a wknd trip to the US). Insurance should be factored in as part of the trip cost, and if it breaks the budget, delay the trip until.

$1600 seems high, but if you break it down to as $133/month, it's not terrible for peace of mind.
Jan 8, 2009
690 posts
322 upvotes
GTA
We used World Nomads for our year long world trip back in 2007-2008 and for several month+ trips throughout the world since. We've had to make a few claims including one hospitalization (Peru) and they've always been easy to deal with. They also cover a lot of adventure activities that other plans don't cover so if you choose another plan, make sure you're covered for all the activities you might want to do.

As well, if you're going to be away for a year and want to maintain your health coverage (assuming you're from Ontario but I would expect there's a similar provision for other provinces) and not have a waiting period when you return home, you'll need to apply for an exception: https://www.ontario.ca/page/ohip-covera ... ide-canada (scroll down to the "away for more than seven months" section) - you will want to make sure you do this as most insurance like World Nomads will need to be renewed at the 6 month mark and it cannot be renewed/remain valid unless your home country health coverage remains valid - it's very straight forward though and you just need to visit your local OHIP office
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
2948 posts
2334 upvotes
World Nomads advertises heavily in Thailand, but some people have bad experience with them. Unfortunately you won't be able to read anything about this as Thailand has computer crime laws, so even if the statements are factual you can be sued for defamation.

Buyer beware,
Jul 22, 2011
22 posts
6 upvotes
Calgary
We are at the end of a 14 month trip and went with World Nomads. One claim to be filed (we'll see how that process goes). It was easy enough to get info from them when I needed to go to the hospital.

Definitely payed more for the insurance than the cost of my medical claim but it's worth it for the peace of mind. There are also activities that at times we had to provide proof of insurance.

Depending on what you plan to do, check the activities and make sure you're covered. You may have to go up a coverage level depending on how adventurous you are.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1820 posts
756 upvotes
Singapore
@PhilipT great advice and do keep us posted, it would be beneficial for others members to know as travel insurance topic come up often, and it seems like many prefer to skip it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)