Travel insurance quotes

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 2nd, 2019 12:46 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2006
1161 posts
437 upvotes

Travel insurance quotes

We're a family of 4 going on a nine day vacation costing us about $10K. This is the cost of flights, hotel stay and a cruise. For trip cancellation, my credit card covers 4K and I called to ask how much the top up of an extra 6K would be. I received a quote of $350. I've also got similar quotes from TD and RBC.

Is this in line with others have been quoted?

Thanks!
3 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2050 posts
925 upvotes
HK
We have no idea what your coverage includes, so it's hard to compare.
Dec 7, 2008
302 posts
481 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
For sure more information is needed to know whether the quote is reasonable.

On thing I want to mention, though, is that trip cancellation insurance is important, but you should make sure that you have emergency medical insurance. WIth a trip cancellation, you kind of have a sense of how much out of pocket you might be. WIth a medical emergency, the costs can be off the charts, especially on a cruise if someone needs to be medically evacuated, and we are talking about at least 5 and quite likely 6-figure So don't leave home without it!
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4937 upvotes
Toronto
Melody is right, Medical insurance is even more important and Let's assume OP already got covered.

Trip cancellation is usually 10% of your cost of the trip that you want to be insured, the further the date of your travel, the more expensive it will be.

$350 to insured 6k worth of trip expenses, it sounds right to me.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015