Travel

Travel Suggestions (<2 yr old and pregnant wife)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2019 7:18 pm
[OP]
May 10, 2006
493 posts
81 upvotes
YYC

Travel Suggestions (<2 yr old and pregnant wife)

So we came to the realization that we did not go anywhere in 2018 at all. Also, my wife is 4 months along now and the thought of being unable to travel once the new baby comes along has been quite depressing for her. She had some post-partum depression with our first one and I am worried that it will be worse with the second one if I do not start treating it now by taking her around a bit...

We are contemplating taking a last minute trip at the end of February. Choices are Mexico, Hawaii, Las Vegas, Disneyland or Disneyworld. Where would you guys/gals choose in this situation (if you absolutely had to pick one)? I am leaning heavily towards DisneyWorld even though our little one is only 22 months. I am worried of Zika in Mexico. Also, I'm not sure what there is to do in Hawaii, Mexico and Las Vegas for a 22 month old? Disneyland seems good also because it is cheaper than DisneyWorld but the weather is not as good in Anaheim as compared to Orlando. Some thoughts would be much appreciated or any other destination suggestions?
28 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4376 posts
609 upvotes
Ottawa
IMO, Disneyland and Disneyworld may not be the best place for a pregnant person and a toddler. It's certainly doable but there will be tons of stuff that only you can do. And it's not just the rides; amusement parks usually mean tons of walking and standing around. Is your wife comfortable to walk / stand that much? We did go with our son when he was very young (although I can't remember the exact age - maybe 2 or 3) and it was actually much more enjoyable than I thought but it made for short days (we'd go for a few hours in the morning, go back and rest and go for a few hours in the evening).

Between the others, I kind of group LV with amusement parks but it really depends what you are doing (for us it's a lot of walking).

Between Hawaii and Mexico, I'd go to Hawaii if I had the money but I suspect it's quite a bit more for a comparable vacation. Hawaii is also a significantly longer flight so again, it would depend on your wife's comfort level. Personally I'd probably go with Mexico because of the cost and easier travel.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1734 posts
862 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I wouldn’t do Mexico if she’s pregnant (but again I’m not a doctor so speak to your obgyn).

Vegas with a toddler? No.
Disney? Wait till the 2 year old is older.

Hawaii is great but obviously a long flight and more expensive. They have Disney Aulani in Honolulu. Even go for breakfast with the characters one day if you decide to stay elsewhere- I’m sure that’s enough for the 2 year old.

What about California (not Disney centric?)
March and April can bring great weather to SoCal. Disney is doable in a day or two- stay somewhere like Newport or Laguna Beach (has the smaller town feel with a gorgeous coastline?) or further up the coast in Santa Monica (the Santa Monica pier and surrounding promenade areas would be suitable). And then you have all the LA attractions available and still be able to do Disney.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7399 posts
4839 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
BrunetteGirl wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 12:06 pm
I wouldn’t do Mexico if she’s pregnant (but again I’m not a doctor so speak to your obgyn).

Vegas with a toddler? No.
Disney? Wait till the 2 year old is older.

Hawaii is great but obviously a long flight and more expensive. They have Disney Aulani in Honolulu. Even go for breakfast with the characters one day if you decide to stay elsewhere- I’m sure that’s enough for the 2 year old.

March and April can bring great weather to SoCal. Disney is doable in a day or two- stay somewhere like Newport or Laguna Beach (has the smaller town feel with a gorgeous coastline?) or further up the coast in Santa Monica (the Santa Monica pier and surrounding promenade areas would be suitable). And then you have all the LA attractions available and still be able to do Disney.
This

With a 22 month old little one, and a pregnant wife... life is busy enough

I would be looking to do a vacation that is more about family time and being chill looking out at the ocean and beautiful scenery with “a touch” of sightseeing than something super busy / action packed

It’s an excellent excuse to NORMALLY head to the Caribbean / Mexico

But with Zika... i’d be definitely looking at California (shorter flights etc) than even Hawaii

They ya’ll can play it by ear
Doing as much or as little as the mood / day warrants

Just being away, somewhere new, and with better weather
Will hit the right note no doubt... even if it’s just relaxing and being able to be somewhere else than home
Last edited by PointsHubby on Feb 5th, 2019 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
24972 posts
11256 upvotes
Ottawa
How about a cruise?
Sep 15, 2015
529 posts
430 upvotes
Abbotsford
Time to suck it up and no go. This is the best advice.
It is not a holiday with a 2 year old - just an fyi
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
10199 posts
4823 upvotes
Toronto
Take a vacation using Google Maps and use the drop down little guy to see a VR view.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
May 10, 2006
493 posts
81 upvotes
YYC
PointsHubby wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 12:40 pm
Just being away, somewhere new, and with better weather
Will hit the right note no doubt... even if it’s just relaxing and being able to be somewhere else than home
Exactly this. It has been nearly -35 or worse with windchill here the last couple of days so just being somewhere else would be a nice change for the wife.

I will take into consideration the suggestion for California for sure. I was originally thinking Disneyworld because it's a pretty happy place in general, even if we can't go on a lot of rides and what-not there would be lots to see but the prices are definitely up there and the flight is long kind of long from where we are as compared to say California.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7373 posts
1566 upvotes
Mississauga
I would select Hawaii if you can last the 10 hour flight.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Jan 21, 2018
11 posts
9 upvotes
London, ON
We took our 2 year old to Disneyworld last year and he loved it. Between Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom there was definitely more he could do than couldn't. Saying it isn't a vacation with a 2 year old really more depends on you and your child than anything else. We had a very nice relaxing time spent 2 days at Disney a couple exploring the Orlando area and the rest of the time by our resort pool.
That being said we are now in the exact same situation as you with my wife being pregnant and a now 3 year old, we are going to the southwest USA for 2 weeks mainly California from LA to San Francisco. We are expecting to be busy but my wife is even more excited than me and our son travels well so I am not too stressed. We would have ideally went to Mexico but even though the chance of contracting Zika is almost zero we arent really looking to deal with all of the judgement. All of the zika outbreak stories broke about 1 week after me and my wife returned from Mexico on our 2015 babymoon and the following stress and additional ultrasounds/appointments are not something we want to stress about. We did bring our son to Mexico when he was 1 and also had a great time again.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9570 posts
2076 upvotes
Markham
Bermuda or Iceland?

Disney is a waste of money for a 22 months old. Imagine your toddler cry to go home after you 2 paid full admission at the theme park.

Vegas? With a 22 months old and a pregnant wife. Are you kidding me? It smells cigarette and weeds everywhere.

Haiwaii is not bad if you think the flight is not a problem. This is also the most expensive choice.
Last edited by MP3_SKY on Feb 5th, 2019 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
May 10, 2006
493 posts
81 upvotes
YYC
82steel wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 5:02 pm
We took our 2 year old to Disneyworld last year and he loved it. Between Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom there was definitely more he could do than couldn't. Saying it isn't a vacation with a 2 year old really more depends on you and your child than anything else. We had a very nice relaxing time spent 2 days at Disney a couple exploring the Orlando area and the rest of the time by our resort pool.
That being said we are now in the exact same situation as you with my wife being pregnant and a now 3 year old, we are going to the southwest USA for 2 weeks mainly California from LA to San Francisco. We are expecting to be busy but my wife is even more excited than me and our son travels well so I am not too stressed. We would have ideally went to Mexico but even though the chance of contracting Zika is almost zero we arent really looking to deal with all of the judgement. All of the zika outbreak stories broke about 1 week after me and my wife returned from Mexico on our 2015 babymoon and the following stress and additional ultrasounds/appointments are not something we want to stress about. We did bring our son to Mexico when he was 1 and also had a great time again.
Thanks for the great insight!
Jan 8, 2009
688 posts
313 upvotes
GTA
Just throwing another idea out there - Bahamas doesn't have Zika if you're looking for somewhere warm and relaxing.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2003
1082 posts
156 upvotes
I was with my 3-4 months pregnant wife in DisneyWorld one year, just be aware that my wife wasn't able to go on a lot of the good rides. I honestly think that you can stash this trip until after the 2nd child is born and that is when you can enjoy it most. I forgot which park does this, parents with children, you would be able to go to the single rider line where they have a waiting room for 1 parent while the other one rides, and they would switch over after. We were able to save so much time and still had fun.

We went to Las Vegas with my 5 month old, but it was a longer trip. Vegas is not kid friendly where we couldn't find baby change room anywhere. still great walking down the strip, lobby and buffet. We went to the Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Valley of Fire, Death Valley and up to Yosemite National Park, San Francisco, and down Highway 1 along the Pacific Coast line to LA, and that's when we went to Disneyland and Universal Studios.

Another one is Disney Cruise. Aside from what you can do onboard and during stops, one major thing for me is that I can leave my child at their "Daycare", and are able to have alone time with wife, dinner, shows, which I think is very important for you and your wife during a trip.

Hope it works out for you.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4376 posts
609 upvotes
Ottawa
BrunetteGirl wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 12:06 pm
If you want warm weather, you will not likely get that in SoCal at the end of February. Certainly not for swimming. I heard on the radio that the forecast was -1C last night in LA and it was less than 10C yesterday during the day. Avg temp in Feb / March for LA is high of 21C, low of 10C. Much better than pretty much anywhere in Canada but it's not tropical weather.