Travel

Travel Suggestions (<2 yr old and pregnant wife)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 9th, 2019 3:44 am
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
5635 posts
5605 upvotes
Vancouver
You do not need to spend a lot of money entertaining a 2 year old. A playground in the park or a swimming pool is all you need. Make sure to spend 1-2 hours per day there and your toddler will be much happier tagging along when you're doing adult stuff. This is how we survived a month traveling in Hungary and Romania with a 2 year old and a 9 month old.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
1964 posts
471 upvotes
Woodbridge
Hi OP,
I was in your exact situation a week ago. My wife is almost 5 months pregnant and we have a 20 month toddler. We went to Exuma Bahamas, since Bahamas is one of the only Caribbean locations that are Zika free. We did use a lot of mosquito repellent however as a precaution (especially during dusk and dawn). Exuma has amazing beaches, my son really enjoyed playing in the beach and water. As far as I know, in the Caribbean Bahamas, Bermuda, Cayman, Martinique and Guadalupe are the zika free islands.
Aug 20, 2017
69 posts
20 upvotes
How about a trip to Panama City Beach or beaches in florida ?
Nov 1, 2001
494 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
FTO wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 10:28 am
So we came to the realization that we did not go anywhere in 2018 at all. Also, my wife is 4 months along now and the thought of being unable to travel once the new baby comes along has been quite depressing for her. She had some post-partum depression with our first one and I am worried that it will be worse with the second one if I do not start treating it now by taking her around a bit...

We are contemplating taking a last minute trip at the end of February. Choices are Mexico, Hawaii, Las Vegas, Disneyland or Disneyworld. Where would you guys/gals choose in this situation (if you absolutely had to pick one)? I am leaning heavily towards DisneyWorld even though our little one is only 22 months. I am worried of Zika in Mexico. Also, I'm not sure what there is to do in Hawaii, Mexico and Las Vegas for a 22 month old? Disneyland seems good also because it is cheaper than DisneyWorld but the weather is not as good in Anaheim as compared to Orlando. Some thoughts would be much appreciated or any other destination suggestions?
I would do a beach vacation like dominican or jamaica or the other islands depending on your budget. it's relaxing, yet exotic. hawaii is a good choice but i feel it's nicer to explore off the resort, which isn't as easy with a toddler. avoid anything that involves too much walking.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4826 posts
929 upvotes
Ottawa
Swammingo wrote:
Feb 6th, 2019 3:12 pm
How about a trip to Panama City Beach or beaches in florida ?
Panama City Beach is beautiful but IMO, it's only an option during the summer / fall. In late Feb (or even March), it's likely it won't even be warm enough for shorts and the ocean certainly won't be warm enough that most people would swim at that time of year.

I personally really like Florida but if you are just looking for a beach vacation, you're probably better off going to Mexico, DR, Cuba, etc. I haven't exactly priced it out but I suspect an AI will be cheaper than going to Florida and you'll likely get warmer weather.
Dec 12, 2007
771 posts
112 upvotes
Just wait a few more months. Take the trip when new baby is 4-6 months old. It will be a good break and you won't have as many worries about Zika.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5687 posts
1518 upvotes
Montreal
I don't think it's worth tailoring your trip around your 2 year old. They are too young to appreciate or remember it.

Ignore those telling you not to travel. This summer, we did 2 weeks in Europe (Barcelona, Prague and Lisbon) with my daughter who was 20 months old at the time and my wife who was 3 weeks pregnant. We all had a great time.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17812 posts
2440 upvotes
Langley
We did Hawaii last year with our toddler. We wanted to do one last trip while he was under 2 and could fly for free. We used points to go business class on AC Rouge. But it's a shorter trip from YVR.

Disney is a lot of work and walking around. Hawaii is just sitting on the beach.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2253 posts
1368 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
michelb wrote:
Feb 6th, 2019 9:20 am
If you want warm weather, you will not likely get that in SoCal at the end of February. Certainly not for swimming. I heard on the radio that the forecast was -1C last night in LA and it was less than 10C yesterday during the day. Avg temp in Feb / March for LA is high of 21C, low of 10C. Much better than pretty much anywhere in Canada but it's not tropical weather.
Agreed- weather can be so iffy in socal. I’ve been on the beach in March and I’ve been bundled up in a Coast. Given though he was looking at Vegas I didn’t think he was looking for tropical weather (weather aside California is just more child friendly then Vegas)
Nov 23, 2015
696 posts
387 upvotes
Winnipeg
Hawaii is perfect for travel with a toddler and a pregnant woman. Maui specifically is the kind of place where you just rest, relax, take it easy and enjoy the beauty of it all. Plus it's the US, so you don't have to worry as much when it comes to health, safety and food standards.

Disney seems like a terrible choice for you, OP. A 22 month old is probably happier at a playground than at Disneyland. And your wife won't get much out of the ordeal either. Unless you yourself are dying to go to Disney and are prepared to drag your family along, I would pass on it.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1667 posts
341 upvotes
the challenge is having a preggo and a toddler sitting thru a 7.5 hours direct flight (which is offered twice a week only) or 10+ hours connecting flight from YYC to HNL
Nov 23, 2015
696 posts
387 upvotes
Winnipeg
manho wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 7:28 am
the challenge is having a preggo and a toddler sitting thru a 7.5 hours direct flight (which is offered twice a week only) or 10+ hours connecting flight from YYC to HNL
Ha. The challenge is real. But I've done that flight (and longer) with toddlers and a pregnant wife. You just have to bring more toys, games, books and downloaded shows to watch. And maybe order a couple extra drinks from the flight attendant ;)
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10658 posts
1690 upvotes
Toronto
I would do Carribean where Zika isn't present. Last chance to splurge a little with paying for only 2. And it'll be alot more relaxing.
[OP]
May 10, 2006
517 posts
108 upvotes
YVR/YYC
Just thought I'd chime in to thank everyone for their input.

We ended up hitting up Greater LA for a week. Spent a few days recharging and taking in lots of food and a couple of sites, then we hit up Disneyland for 4 days in a row. We had a blast just taking everything in and I let the wife and baby dictate the schedule. I ended up sneaking away for a few Fastpass rides on my own and it was as good a vacation as we could have had.

Overall, it was a lot of work but it was well worth it. We spent extra to fly direct into LAX and it was worth it, I don't think we could have lasted a longer flight to anywhere else... and now we are back to the deep-freeze :*(