Travel

travel to Sweden (visa + flight + accommodation)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2017 8:40 am
[OP]
Jan 19, 2017
71 posts
13 upvotes

travel to Sweden (visa + flight + accommodation)

i am going to Sweden in the second half of June. i'll probably spend (most of) my time in Gothenburg, but i might visit Stockholm as well. i was wondering if anybody knows a good airline (or a good deal) for flights to Sweden; my only condition is that the flight should not have any stops in the US.

also, apart from airbnb, is there any other resource i could use to find a potential room? the websites that i have checked so far (hotels.com and travelocity.ca) don't show a lot of available rooms for the duration of my stay.

another important question: i need to apply for a Schengen visa. one of the requirements is to show that i have a place to stay (hotel, acquaintance, etc.). do you guys happen to know if an airbnb reservation could count as a proof of accommodation?

thanks!
20 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3526 posts
982 upvotes
Toronto
KLM or Iceland Air are probably both decent options to consider.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3085 posts
827 upvotes
Moncton
Norwegian has dirt cheap fares from the US. Wow does Toronto and Montreal via Reykjavik (Iceland is part of Schengen). Factor luggage fees though (including carry-on).

Google.ca/Flights

Expedia Inc. owns Hotels.com and Travelocity. And Trivago and many, many others. You are not really shopping if you compare their sites (not to say their prices will be identical).
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expedia,_Inc.

Heads up, Ireland and the UK are NOT part of Schengen and, like in the USA, they DO NOT have visa-free international transit areas.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area

By the way, Sweden is not a cheap place to visit. The women are spectacular and the country itself is quite nice, but I visited after a minor stock market windfall, stayed in youth hostels and yet I still felt sticker shock.

June is a very nice time of year to be there though. They take the summer solstice pretty seriously there with huge bond fires. I believe at least one day is an official holiday. I remember staying up until the sun went down after coming back from a nightclub at 2am in Gutenburgh. At 5am the sun was still up. ;)

You have to be 20 for some clubs. Then the only option is the 16 year old plus plus bars.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3293 posts
209 upvotes
Toronto
yes airbnb counts...just did a schegen visa for my gf for italy.. you have to print out all the airbnb reservations with your name, the renter's name, address and phone # on it
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
[OP]
Jan 19, 2017
71 posts
13 upvotes
thanks all for your help. the visa application submission went smoothly. i now just need to get my flights.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3085 posts
827 upvotes
Moncton
If you are Canadian, flying to a Dublin, the UK or Paris and then getting a cheapo flight to Sweeden can be an affordable option. Although wanting to briefly visit the U.K., Ireland or France would make more sense. Google Flights seems pretty good at listing Norwegian, EasyJet and Ryanair. Norwegian charges for carry-on luggage.

You can go from the UK all the way to Sweden now by rail without ever setting foot on a ferry.
[OP]
Jan 19, 2017
71 posts
13 upvotes
MonctonMan wrote:
May 20th, 2017 12:45 pm
If you are Canadian, flying to a Dublin, the UK or Paris and then getting a cheapo flight to Sweeden can be an affordable option. Although wanting to briefly visit the U.K., Ireland or France would make more sense. Google Flights seems pretty good at listing Norwegian, EasyJet and Ryanair. Norwegian charges for carry-on luggage.

You can go from the UK all the way to Sweden now by rail without ever setting foot on a ferry.
thanks. i am not a canadian citizen, so i can only transit in other countries' airports and cannot get out of the secure zone, get my luggage, and go to another terminal in order to change planes. i am allowed to transit, but that's it. :)
Apr 12, 2012
701 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
Sweden has very friendly staff at immigration.

The cheapest tickets are usually by Iceland Air or WOW. Another way is to fly through Copenhagen using Air Canada then fly on SAS. Mind you though that SAS doesn't have the newest planes.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3085 posts
827 upvotes
Moncton
darXider wrote:
May 23rd, 2017 12:30 pm
thanks. i am not a canadian citizen, so i can only transit in other countries' airports and cannot get out of the secure zone
That option does not exist in the USA, the UK or Ireland.

Since Sweden is part of the Schengen zone, I'm assuming you are able to travel freely in other Schengen countries. If so then flying WOW or Icelandair via Reykjavik would be an option.
[OP]
Jan 19, 2017
71 posts
13 upvotes
^ thanks all. booked my flight with AirFrance. the Danish embassy hasn't gotten back to me regarding my visa application, and i felt like i should book my flights before the prices go even higher, but because i was not certain about the fate of my visa application, i went with AirFrance, so in case i'd need to cancel my flights, i can get back some of my money. WOW Air was a decent option (and about $200 CAD cheaper than AirFrance), but it doesn't allow cancellation and it is not flying to Stockholm on the date i wanted to. next time, i will book the flights way in advance so i can get a better deal.
[OP]
Jan 19, 2017
71 posts
13 upvotes
just a heads up to anyone traveling to Sweden, Denmark, Norway, and Iceland and in need of getting a Schengen visa: the visa application process, which is supposed to be done in about 14 days, is now taking much longer at the Danish embassies and consulates across Canada, so make sure you apply well in advance (~45 days).

i might lose my departure flight to Sweden even though i applied a month ago.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3356 posts
4310 upvotes
Ontario
Icelandair offers Toronto>Reyjavik>Stockholm flights that are just over 10h one way. I happen to look at flight information recently as one relative out in Sweden may visit next year (not sure when) and her mother will travel with her but she's in another part of Europe and she may have to look at two options for travel plus needs a visa. Seats are decently priced for spring but come June, only basic economy or Sage business classes are available and fares go up about 40%.
I'd not wish JFK airport (US) on their travel itinerary as part of a long day of travel through 4 places (based on other details I understood about the proposed trip).
Surfing 2017.😎 Summer contest slump.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3356 posts
4310 upvotes
Ontario
darXider wrote:
May 30th, 2017 12:20 am
^ thanks all. booked my flight with AirFrance. the Danish embassy hasn't gotten back to me regarding my visa application, and i felt like i should book my flights before the prices go even higher, but because i was not certain about the fate of my visa application, i went with AirFrance, so in case i'd need to cancel my flights, i can get back some of my money. WOW Air was a decent option (and about $200 CAD cheaper than AirFrance), but it doesn't allow cancellation and it is not flying to Stockholm on the date i wanted to. next time, i will book the flights way in advance so i can get a better deal.
I hope you have a way to keep updated with Air France operations during your travels. There seems to be an annual tendency for the pilots to walk off the job for at least one day.
Surfing 2017.😎 Summer contest slump.
[OP]
Jan 19, 2017
71 posts
13 upvotes
^ thanks Ciel. i have not received my visa yet, so i couldn't depart for Sweden. i had to cancel my flights with Air France. i'll rebook my tickets once i hear back from the embassy. it's very frustrating that something that was supposed to take 2 weeks has taken over a month and has cost (and will probably cause) me a lot of money.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3293 posts
209 upvotes
Toronto
are you sure you gave them all the required documents? My gf did it through the italian embassy in April and only took 2 business days to receive the visa.
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig