Travel System - Stroller Recommendations

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2019 8:43 pm
[OP]
Oct 18, 2017
5 posts

Travel System - Stroller Recommendations

Hi There,

I am currently gathering info regarding travel systems and noticed one thing they had in common. Strollers that have a one-hand folding mechanism that stands up usually have the handle bars as the support structure. Wouldn't this cause additional wear and tear especially if the handle bars are foam, rubber and or leather?

Is there a recommended Travel System with a stroller that stands up without relying on the handlebar for support? Just thinking out loud here for suggestions as rainy / snowy days can be rough.

Thanks!
Last edited by chibits on May 16th, 2019 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
15 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27107 posts
13105 upvotes
Ottawa
chibits wrote:
May 15th, 2019 4:14 pm
Thank you for the suggestion, but I am partial to 4-wheel strollers at this time. I reviewed the B-Lively in the link and it seems the stroller does not stand up while folded for storage purposes.
It's more of a tricycle, as the two front wheels are one piece.
Apr 10, 2011
507 posts
254 upvotes
chibits wrote:
May 15th, 2019 3:48 pm
Hi There,

I am currently gathering info regarding travel systems and noticed one thing they had in common. Strollers that have a one-hand folding mechanism that stands up usually have the handle bars are the support structure. Wouldn't this cause additional wear and tear especially if the handle bars are foam, rubber and or leather?

Is there a recommended Travel System with a stroller that stands up without relying on the handlebar for support? Just thinking out loud here for suggestions as rainy / snowy days can be rough.

Thanks!
Very little wear and tear after 3 years on the handle bar of our Uppababy Vista. Always stored inside though.
[OP]
Oct 18, 2017
5 posts
lemmiwinks wrote:
May 15th, 2019 6:26 pm
Very little wear and tear after 3 years on the handle bar of our Uppababy Vista. Always stored inside though.
That's good to hear, what I'm looking to avoid is situations where this may happen.

Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
2931 posts
380 upvotes
But what is your alternative? Is there one that doesn't fold with one hand and the handlebar doesn't touch the ground? I just never let my handlebar touch the outside ground.

Maybe I just got caught up with keeping up with the Joneses when I got an Uppababy Cruz (but also my wife's desire to have something with good wheels).

After baby was born, we found that even the Cruz wasn't awesome for mom to lift into the car. So we got a Chicco KeyFit Caddy which is super light. This is similar to the Baby Trend Snap N Go, which I considered but the Baby Trend one is universal. I preferred the Chicco because I wanted something that snapped in securely rather than how the Baby Trend one strapped it in. Also, these caddy/snap strollers have a limited usefulness and you won't use it after your kid is out of the car seat. Finally, these strollers are made to fit a price point. They're fine on smooth services but I cringe every time I hit a seam in the sidewalk bc I can feel all the vibration.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27107 posts
13105 upvotes
Ottawa
chibits wrote:
May 15th, 2019 7:22 pm
That's good to hear, what I'm looking to avoid is situations where this may happen.

That's just cosmetic wear and has no impact on functionality.
It's your money at the end of the day, but you may want to lower your expectation a bit, if you think you can maintain the stroller in perfect condition.
Aug 31, 2014
150 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have a Cruz for almost two years, no obvious wear and tear yet.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5385 posts
637 upvotes
Scarborough
Walmart is good enough for this. No need to spend more money unnecessarily
[OP]
Oct 18, 2017
5 posts
poorwingman wrote:
May 16th, 2019 8:23 am
But what is your alternative? Is there one that doesn't fold with one hand and the handlebar doesn't touch the ground? I just never let my handlebar touch the outside ground.
Not sure yet what the alternative is. I was researching the available options and all the expensive travel systems seem to follow the same trend. That got me to thinking how is it justified to spend into the 4 digit $ range for what may be a design imperfection? From my research, the Nuna Mixx seems to avoid that by not standing up altogether, at the cost of floor space which may be an inconvenience while traveling.

Examples:
vkizzle wrote:
May 16th, 2019 9:26 am
That's just cosmetic wear and has no impact on functionality.
It's your money at the end of the day, but you may want to lower your expectation a bit, if you think you can maintain the stroller in perfect condition.
This may be a case where I pick a lesser poison. Good thing is, we're not due for another 4 months so there's still plenty of time for research! Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27107 posts
13105 upvotes
Ottawa
chibits wrote:
May 16th, 2019 1:42 pm
Not sure yet what the alternative is. I was researching the available options and all the expensive travel systems seem to follow the same trend. That got me to thinking how is it justified to spend into the 4 digit $ range for what may be a design imperfection? From my research, the Nuna Mixx seems to avoid that by not standing up altogether, at the cost of floor space which may be an inconvenience while traveling.

Examples:

This may be a case where I pick a lesser poison. Good thing is, we're not due for another 4 months so there's still plenty of time for research! Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
We took ours on several flights the first few years and durability was key, as the airport loaders toss these around like nothing.
[OP]
Oct 18, 2017
5 posts
vkizzle wrote:
May 16th, 2019 1:45 pm
We took ours on several flights the first few years and durability was key, as the airport loaders toss these around like nothing.
You mentioned the Britax B-Lively system earlier, is that your current system? If so, how do you find the balance with the infant car seat attached? My concern regarding the 3-wheel solutions is that they may be more prone to tipping with the infant car seat as the center of gravity is higher up. I do really like the B-Safe 35 seats though!

PS - thank you everyone for your input thus far, it has been really informative.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27107 posts
13105 upvotes
Ottawa
chibits wrote:
May 16th, 2019 1:51 pm
You mentioned the Britax B-Lively system earlier, is that your current system? If so, how do you find the balance with the infant car seat attached? My concern regarding the 3-wheel solutions is that they may be more prone to tipping with the infant car seat as the center of gravity is higher up. I do really like the B-Safe 35 seats though!

PS - thank you everyone for your input thus far, it has been really informative.
The Britax stroller was very easy to use, in terms of folding/unfolding and pushing around.
Wife used it more than I did and she had no issues, despite being fairly petite.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
2931 posts
380 upvotes
chibits wrote:
May 16th, 2019 1:42 pm

Examples:

Really depends on what your needs are based on where you live and where you go. If you walk around downtown and plan to push a stroller to a restaurant, there might not be space for a nuna but you could potentially fold it flat. If you are only in the suburbs, maybe it doesn’t matter if you just bring a car seat in.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)