Tags:
[OP]
Feb 16, 2013
521 posts
567 upvotes
Toronto

Traveling to Ukraine.

Hi guys.
I was originally born in Ukraine, but have not been back for 25 years.
I have to go because my grandpa is sick and I would like to see him before he goes.

I would also like to see a bit of Europe.
I was thinking of flying over to Europe and taking the trains east towards Ukraine.
Direct flight to Ukraine is also an option.

My question; is it more economical to fly to another country and take a train, or is it worth it to fly direct?
Are there regional carriers that fly for cheaper than flying direct?
Would there be any consular issues simply by traveling with a Canadian passport?

Thank you kindly.
6 replies
Nov 3, 2010
2 posts
Torono
As a Canadian passport holder you will not need a visa if you stay under 90 days.

The last time I've been in Ukraine was 2013. It helps if you speak Russian/Ukraininan.

Cannot comment on the travel through europe by train as I've never done that but, in my opinion, flying would be hassle free.

Currently, non-stop flights from Toronto to Kyiv do not exist, so at best, it will include 1 stop. I flew with KLM, Toronto > short stopover in Amsterdam > Kyiv.

Just google around for flights and I'm sure you will find something in the $800-$900 CAD return range.

Cheers.
Sep 18, 2008
444 posts
75 upvotes
Woodbridge
Which city in Ukraine?
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1285 posts
260 upvotes
Toronto
I would suggest Lviv. It is a gorgeous city and so many cute restaurants to choose from. I would not suggest flying via Ukrainian airlines. They are not reliable, so if you are flying out of Ukraine, be prepare for the flight to be late, causing you to miss the connecting flight. Lots of connecting flights via Amsterdam, German cities, Poland. I took a train from Kiev to Lviv in 2015. Very advanced. Free wifi, comfortable seats and spacious super modern washroom. Unlike going to Russia with your Canadian passport that requires registration nonsense, it's very easy to go to Ukraine with our passport.
Dmitri Markine Wedding Photography: My 500pix||My Flickr||My Pinterest||My Instagram
Apr 27, 2016
36 posts
25 upvotes
You can sometimes get a cheap flight on KLM or Lufthansa, with just one connection in the fall until about Dec 14, and Mid Jan to early April. Turkish Airlines also has the occasional cheap flight. You may be able to get a cheap Wow Air flight to Iceland then onwards to Europe, then catch either a flight to Kyiv or a low cost flight to Krakow. From Krakow, you can reach Lviv by bus/train.
If you are going to go in a few months, then you have time to sign up for some credit cards and get enough sign up bonus points to get a free or almost free ticket. See this amazing thread for more info:
jerrys-list-credit-cards-200-welcome-bo ... q-1685293/
If you have to go there quickly, then you don't have to wait for a card with frequent flyer points, just get one with a large travel credit bonus, such as the Scotiabank Gold Amex card, you can put the flight on the card, and get over $300 back. Totally worth it. There are a few other similar cards with bonuses that will dramatically reduce the cost of your trip.
Feel free to message me if you have any questions. Ukraine is an amazing place, and once you are there, it is very inexpensive. Best wishes to your grandfather...
Apr 5, 2006
97 posts
33 upvotes
Mississauga
I would not suggest crossing Ukrainian border by train(or bus), it may be not safe. Customs at land border can get ugly. Just fly in, they are much more civilized at Boryspil. Get an air ticket to Kyiv with stopover in Europe, it will be cheaper, too. Kyiv-Lviv by train is fine.
Ukrainian airlines: you can hardly avoid them. Most flights of Lugfthansa, KLM etc. are actually performed by Ukrainian. But no worries, I have taken them many times and still alive Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

There is currently no direct flights to Ukraine from Canada, you have to change planes somewhere.