Travel

Travelling with friends who turned out to be @&(@$(@ -- how do you cope?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2017 7:11 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2416 posts
552 upvotes
Montreal
Shaner wrote:
Jun 16th, 2017 12:34 pm
Tell him everything you wrote here and then tell him you're done traveling with him. You'll stay at previously booked accommodations with him, but otherwise, you two will be spending the rest of the trip apart. You have a week left, don't let him ruin it. Ditch him as a traveling partner
I agree. There's no other way to fix this.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4307 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
b166er1337 wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 11:25 am
backpacking/ traveling is the best way to reveal true compatibility between couples or friends.
Agree fully. I went with a now former friend on vacation a few times, and he wanted to join me in my recent Thailand trip, which I heavily declined. We're no longer friends now. Happy about this since he was an a-hole to begin with.
IceBlueShoes wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 11:47 am
And that is why I generally prefer to travel solo. Easier to compromise!

I have travelled with friends a few times and it's been ok as we're all pretty laid back.
I have no issue telling someone I'm going to do my own thing though and then meeting up for lunch or something later. Or they want to do something badly, that they should and I'll find something else to do.

There are some people I won't travel with though since their budgets are next to nil.
Not saying I need the ritz, but I'm not afraid of opening my wallet for something. Also if they're a foodie, then they can go eat on their own.
I'm OK with fast foods.
I fully agreed with you on everything except the food part - unless I'm misunderstanding you. I feel when you're in another country, the majority of the food you eat should be local stuff and not fast food garbage that can easily be acquired domestically. I personally will eat fast food once in a while if I just want something quick on the go, but fast food will make up less than 1% of the meals I eat in a foreign country. I sometimes will check out a fast food joint in a foreign country just to see how their menu differs from that of home ie Philippines McDonald's will have rice as part of their combos Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4063 posts
223 upvotes
glover78 wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 3:47 pm
Agree fully. I went with a now former friend on vacation a few times, and he wanted to join me in my recent Thailand trip, which I heavily declined. We're no longer friends now. Happy about this since he was an a-hole to begin with.

I fully agreed with you on everything except the food part - unless I'm misunderstanding you. I feel when you're in another country, the majority of the food you eat should be local stuff and not fast food garbage that can easily be acquired domestically. I personally will eat fast food once in a while if I just want something quick on the go, but fast food will make up less than 1% of the meals I eat in a foreign country. I sometimes will check out a fast food joint in a foreign country just to see how their menu differs from that of home ie Philippines McDonald's will have rice as part of their combos Smiling Face With Open Mouth
I mainly do it because it's cheaper. Or what I prefer to do is go to the super market and just grab some quick things for breakfast for example.
I love running into tesco in the UK and grabbing some sandwiches near the end of the night when they drop the price.
Another reason I do it is to save time. If I have a lunch with me, that's less time I have to waste looking for something and then waiting to eat that I would prefer to use doing something else.

Having said all that, I do try to have at least once decent meal when I travel abroad. I'm not a foodie though, so it's usually where I go cheap on to save on my travel budget.
I'm looking for a NZ Silver Fern Kiwi coin! :)
Apr 12, 2012
756 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto
There are jacka$$es everywhere, so you have to do a better job in picking your friends.
The simplest acts of kindness are by far more powerful than a thousand heads bowing in prayer.
- Mahatma Gandhi
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1054 posts
174 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
Fast food doesn't always have to be a nort American chain though, it can be cheap and local too. Plenty of great street food in Asia. In the Caribbean there are roti places and in Mexico there are really good street vendors too.

Barbados has its own fast food chain (Chefette), but there are also locals who sell lunches on the beach out of their car/truck/van and it's good!
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10141 posts
700 upvotes
Mississauga
I travelled with a good friend years ago on a 5 day trip to NYC. We're still good friends to this day but we quickly realized that we do not make good travel friends, as our ways of exploring were very incompatible. We had a discussion on our first night and ended up compromising and doing a mix of things together and apart, and it worked out well.

A couple years ago, another friend and I went to China together on a three-week trip. Now this friend and I had already travelled to several other countries in the past and they had gone well. He had a few quirks that bugged me (and I'm sure I had some that bugged him), but it was nothing too serious. By the end of the three weeks though, those little quirks had just snowballed and on the last full day, I just had to separate and explore Hong Kong on my own.

One thing to remember is that when you hang out with your friends locally, you're usually just meeting up for dinner, a movie, or maybe spending the afternoon hanging out doing whatever. At most, you might spend a weekend camping or up at the cottage. A few hours eating and talking is very different from being attached at the hip to that person 24/7. Add in the potential for stress, which travel can easily bring, and you've got a potential for some tempers being blown. A great "home" friend does not necessarily make a great travel companion.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
1636 posts
308 upvotes
yesstyle wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 11:20 am
i think you misspelled 'girl'?
:facepalm:
:) Love is too beautiful to be hidden in the closet ;)
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4063 posts
223 upvotes
Talamasca wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 8:33 pm
I travelled with a good friend years ago on a 5 day trip to NYC. We're still good friends to this day but we quickly realized that we do not make good travel friends, as our ways of exploring were very incompatible. We had a discussion on our first night and ended up compromising and doing a mix of things together and apart, and it worked out well.

A couple years ago, another friend and I went to China together on a three-week trip. Now this friend and I had already travelled to several other countries in the past and they had gone well. He had a few quirks that bugged me (and I'm sure I had some that bugged him), but it was nothing too serious. By the end of the three weeks though, those little quirks had just snowballed and on the last full day, I just had to separate and explore Hong Kong on my own.

One thing to remember is that when you hang out with your friends locally, you're usually just meeting up for dinner, a movie, or maybe spending the afternoon hanging out doing whatever. At most, you might spend a weekend camping or up at the cottage. A few hours eating and talking is very different from being attached at the hip to that person 24/7. Add in the potential for stress, which travel can easily bring, and you've got a potential for some tempers being blown. A great "home" friend does not necessarily make a great travel companion.

I think that's why you should have your own hotel room.
At least get some time on your own.
I'm looking for a NZ Silver Fern Kiwi coin! :)
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10141 posts
700 upvotes
Mississauga
IceBlueShoes wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 4:13 pm
I think that's why you should have your own hotel room.
At least get some time on your own.
I actually think a hostel works better, provided you and your friends are comfortable backpacking. Being with the same person 24/7 can get a bit stifling, so staying at a hostel and meeting all sorts of new people can be very enlivening.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1054 posts
174 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
We went with friends to Cuba once, and we didn't even know them that well at the time, but it worked out fine. (Separate hotel rooms and we gave each other enough space to do things on our own) I went with that same female friend to an AI in Mexico and that was okay too, although I really got bored after 4 days. She's more of a party-er than me and we didn't go on any excursions, but again....we gave each other space.

We went to Jamaica once with other friends of ours and that was a blast. Separate hotel rooms and again...we gave each other space. They have four kids now, so we most likely won't go on a trip with them any time soon again!