Art and Photography

Travelling to India - what camera should I buy?

• Last Updated:
  • May 8th, 2010 2:56 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2004
5791 posts
52 upvotes

Travelling to India - what camera should I buy?

Hey guys,

I am planning on travelling to India in the next few months, and I'm deciding to purchase a camera for this occasion. I do have a DSLR, but the things I will be doing in India will probably make it hard for me to lug this big thing around - so I am looking for a more compact camera. Here are a few key features that I'm looking for:

- Compact (able to put into my pocket OR something that I can put into my fanny pack)
- Good quality pictures (for both indoor and outdoor lighting - probably more so for outdoor). Going to probably take a lot of pictures of architectural designs, and of people.
- Video recording (would be a great plus)

So far I was thinking of the following cameras:
- Canon G11
- Canon S90
- Maybe a Canon Digi Elph?

What do you guys think? I would love to hear your feedback! Thanks guys!
rems wrote: yes...for those that say it doesn't are lying. There has to be some sort of physical attraction (unless you're visually impaired obviously). Looks get you there and personality keeps you there.
12 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
Canon SX200 is very tiny and has a large zoom. However, it's pretty basic when it comes to manual controls.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
1440 posts
49 upvotes
I took the Canon G9 when I went a year ago and pictures turned out amazing. It's a great little camera that doesn't attract too much attention and doesn't take up much space.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2006
1880 posts
124 upvotes
Bring the DSLR if this is like the one time you'll go to india. If you plan and have the means to keep going back to places then yeah bring whatever but really do you want to capture the moment?

That's my advice.

However, that being said if you must choose something small the S90 would be my choice. I keep hoping my sister (who stole it this week for a biz trip btw) would break the G10 so I can ask her to get me a S90 for our birthday (we are twins, and really it's a gift for her too right? LOL). And also of note, she stole my G10 left it at her fiance's house and then decided to take her T1i instead. So if my 5 foot 3 sister can carry a DSLR around on a trip I am sure most people can as well.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2004
5791 posts
52 upvotes
Thanks guys for all your helpful advice.

I was looking at the Canon SD780IS - what do you guys think? Any potential here? Or just another one to avoid?

Thanks!
rems wrote: yes...for those that say it doesn't are lying. There has to be some sort of physical attraction (unless you're visually impaired obviously). Looks get you there and personality keeps you there.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 29, 2007
8237 posts
1413 upvotes
Montreal
gotak wrote: Bring the DSLR if this is like the one time you'll go to india. If you plan and have the means to keep going back to places then yeah bring whatever but really do you want to capture the moment?

That's my advice.

However, that being said if you must choose something small the S90 would be my choice. I keep hoping my sister (who stole it this week for a biz trip btw) would break the G10 so I can ask her to get me a S90 for our birthday (we are twins, and really it's a gift for her too right? LOL). And also of note, she stole my G10 left it at her fiance's house and then decided to take her T1i instead. So if my 5 foot 3 sister can carry a DSLR around on a trip I am sure most people can as well.

Canon G10 is great with lots of light and normal light... I have the Canon G11 and I think the G10 is still better when the lighting conditions are good but the G11 performs well in low light...

I have the Canon S90 as well and it's the same as the G11 but more portable and compact... Though I think the G11 is better than the S90 mainly because of the controls are easier to get to for me and it has a solid feel to it also it has a little more zoom but not much...

Both Cameras take great photos but on a voyage I myself would take the G11 ...

If you want DSLR but not the weight and size maybe look into 4/3...
Deal Addict
May 6, 2007
1413 posts
377 upvotes
Ottawa, On
+1 on making sure it has a GPS. A month after you get home and your sorting through your pictures, good luck on figuring out which temple/monument/natural wonder you were shooting at the time. With a geo-tagged image you just look at the map and "OH YA that's what that was!"
Deal Fanatic
Jan 29, 2007
8237 posts
1413 upvotes
Montreal
da_guy2 wrote: +1 on making sure it has a GPS. A month after you get home and your sorting through your pictures, good luck on figuring out which temple/monument/natural wonder you were shooting at the time. With a geo-tagged image you just look at the map and "OH YA that's what that was!"

If you were in China that would be another story altogether...

LOL!!!
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2001
2724 posts
37 upvotes
Eastern and NW Ontar…
from your choices, the S90 is the most compact and has a pretty fast lens, the G11 is too big for a pocket

as well as a previous poster said, a dslr gives a much better image even though its a bit larger and heavier, you only have to carry it for a few weeks while the pictures are forever if you dont go back
Dell Alienware Aurora R8
Asus ROG 17"
Ipad Air 2
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
430 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
7jai wrote: Thanks guys for all your helpful advice.

I was looking at the Canon SD780IS - what do you guys think? Any potential here? Or just another one to avoid?

Thanks!
Have you looked at the Canon SX210 IS? That's another compact camera with full manual features, HD video? Recently released a few weeks ago.
May 10, 2001
105 posts
3 upvotes
Calgary
I recently went to the Philippines and took both a T1i and S90.

If you can only take one, and you're used to DSLRs, the S90 is an excellent choice. It'll give you all the manual control you need, has a fast lens, and is inconspicuous enough to not attract attention and portable enough to fit in a pocket. The plus side is that it allows you to shoot RAW so if you like that level of control over your pictures for post-processing, it makes a great option.

The processing is slow though, so don't expect DSLR speeds in between shots, but it's a great little camera that's well worth the price. It doesn't do HD video though.

However, if you can take both, you should. Keep the DSLR around your neck at all times and keep the S90 in your pocket. If taking the DSLR is impractical for the day, leave it at the hotel and just bring the S90.