Travel

Travelling to Mexico --> What immunizations do I need?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2017 7:59 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2002
3341 posts
4 upvotes

Travelling to Mexico --> What immunizations do I need?

I was just wondering if anyone knows the laws or even just recommendations for what shots I should get before travelling to Mexico? I have been to Ecuador before and I got stuff like Yellow Fever and Hepatitis shots, etc. I'm still not sure if that was required by law or just recommended... but I did have to show my yellow immunization papers at the border.

Anyway the travel doctor that I went to before wants another $45 for a 'consultation' to tell me what I need. But if these are laws, then I'm assuming the info should be readily available. Although I've looked around on google and the government of canada sites and haven't come across anything.

Can anyone provide me with any info? I'de really appreciate it.

Thanks.
20 replies
Penalty Box
Dec 9, 2003
4200 posts
440 upvotes
Calgary
Nothing is required for Mexico. I go there all the time.

If you are at all asthmatic, be aware on how tough it is to breathe in Mexico City (altitude + pollution)

Have a good trip!
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2003
3733 posts
150 upvotes
Cough wrote:Nothing is required for Mexico. I go there all the time.

If you are at all asthmatic, be aware on how tough it is to breathe in Mexico City (altitude + pollution)

Have a good trip!
i think he is correct. i have never heard of needing shots. 2 years ago i crossed across the american border into mexico and they didn't even check id, so i seems like the mexicans don't care. But, if i was leaving from canada to mexico, and not going from the US it may have been different.
Jul 8, 2003
321 posts
8 upvotes
i did cross to tijuana from san diego. I just went to this huge turnstile. Nobody on the mexican border is checking who is getting in, just walked on. Just made sure I had my canadian passport with me so I can come back.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2003
3733 posts
150 upvotes
flipside wrote:i did cross to tijuana from san diego. I just went to this huge turnstile. Nobody on the mexican border is checking who is getting in, just walked on. Just made sure I had my canadian passport with me so I can come back.
that is the same border i walked across. all i had was my drivers licience with me to get back into the US. I dont have a passport and i have been to the US every summer for the past 4 years and they have never said anything about no passport.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2003
1853 posts
22 upvotes
Belleville
When I went to Mexico with school 20 years ago, we were instructed to eat yogurt for the week proceeding the trip as it would help the body prepare to deal with the different bacteria than we have here.
I never got sick when I went...but who knows if that was why.

Just my input,

Mike
MY VLOG
<< DAILY VIDEO DIARY >>
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1799 posts
65 upvotes
Vancouver
Cant your famaily doctor help you on that consultation? That consultation doctor you spoken to is full of bull for charging you.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2002
3341 posts
4 upvotes
Hey thanks for the info guys. It's really appreciated.
Big Brother wrote:Cant your famaily doctor help you on that consultation? That consultation doctor you spoken to is full of bull for charging you.
She probably could but she's super busy all the time (she overbooks) and I don't like going to see her because of the wait. So I turned to my trusty RFD'ers for a free consultation ;)

Thanks again.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2003
2807 posts
8 upvotes
Big Brother wrote:Cant your famaily doctor help you on that consultation? That consultation doctor you spoken to is full of bull for charging you.
no she isnt...

I belive it costs 25-35 bucks for a travel consultation...its not covered by your health card. I know because i travel abroad frequently..
Its wise to see one of these doctors too, they give you good advice about what foods you can and cant eat, etc.

PS. If u ever have to take malaria pillls, splurg and get the expensive ones, the cheaper ones have terrible side effects.
Oct 26, 2002
547 posts
4 upvotes
ainsane wrote:Hey thanks for the info guys. It's really appreciated.

She probably could but she's super busy all the time (she overbooks) and I don't like going to see her because of the wait. So I turned to my trusty RFD'ers for a free consultation ;)

Thanks again.
You should try Telehealth Ontario ... http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/pub ... th_mn.html

It's free and they'll research it for you!
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4178 posts
112 upvotes
Austin/Markham
travel consultation? ridiculous, I just saw my family doctor, he told me what shots i needed when i went overseas and he gave them to me, or scheduled future appointments for when I would need them.
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2004
2905 posts
19 upvotes
MMMMMike wrote:When I went to Mexico with school 20 years ago, we were instructed to eat yogurt for the week proceeding the trip as it would help the body prepare to deal with the different bacteria than we have here.
I never got sick when I went...but who knows if that was why.

Just my input,

Mike

Yeah that's partly correct. I remember this from University Micb last year. If you want to know more about what you were exactly doing, look up what a "Normal Flora" is in a Encyclopedia or on all mighty Google ;)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7102 posts
427 upvotes
Toronto
fl4wless wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2005 2:48 am
no she isnt...

I belive it costs 25-35 bucks for a travel consultation...its not covered by your health card. I know because i travel abroad frequently..
Its wise to see one of these doctors too, they give you good advice about what foods you can and cant eat, etc.

PS. If u ever have to take malaria pillls, splurg and get the expensive ones, the cheaper ones have terrible side effects.
OHIP shouldn't subsidize treatments for travelling, why should tax payers subsidize someone getting shots for other countries. At least in theory this shouldn't be the case.

I disagree that travel clinics give good advice. I've been to them a few times, they go on lonelyplanet.com of all places (caught this twice) and https://www.cdc.gov the only good advice I've received is to not bother with dukoral as it only protects from one form of travellers diarrhea 50% of the time.

Big Brother wrote:
Feb 1st, 2005 8:23 pm
Cant your famaily doctor help you on that consultation? That consultation doctor you spoken to is full of bull for charging you.
Doctors should not be providing travel advice, though if you have a relationship with your doctor they may just out of kindness.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.