Travel

Travelling to Mexico --> What immunizations do I need?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2017 7:59 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4523 posts
246 upvotes
GangStarr wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 6:06 pm
OHIP shouldn't subsidize treatments for travelling, why should tax payers subsidize someone getting shots for other countries. At least in theory this shouldn't be the case.

I disagree that travel clinics give good advice. I've been to them a few times, they go on lonelyplanet.com of all places (caught this twice) and https://www.cdc.gov the only good advice I've received is to not bother with dukoral as it only protects from one form of travellers diarrhea 50% of the time.

Doctors should not be providing travel advice, though if you have a relationship with your doctor they may just out of kindness.
Should tax payers then foot the bill when someone returns to Canada with an illness acquired abroad? It's likely cheaper for tax payers to subsidize prevention vs treatment once an infection is acquired.
May 7, 2017
285 posts
120 upvotes
I went to places where I needed shots.. never got them..
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3347 posts
905 upvotes
Moncton
BeanFinn wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 8:00 pm
I went to places where I needed shots.. never got them..
It is great to feel invisible but some countries won’t let you in if you don’t have proof of certain vaccinations. Travel.gc.ca .
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
3734 posts
451 upvotes
Montreal
I just came back from Riviera Maya and all I had to do is to have Yogurt and vitamin B12.

If you don't have check in luggage, make sure you buy some sun screen and mosquito repellant at the local pharmacy.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1462 posts
774 upvotes
Truth is...

A whole lot of people travel without doing any research (other than travel brochures with glossy pics)

And ya, a great many have no problems while abroad

But the same can be said for travel insurance, many never buy it and never need it
Those who have it, and sadly found they needed it... Were extremely happy to have it
And considerably richer (in health & money) because they did

Playing roulette with ones health & well being is risky

Cause CRAP CAN & DOES HAPPEN EVERDAY TO CDNS ABROAD even in first world, safest of countries
You just never know

The more REAL research you do up front, then the more prepared you are for the ugly stuff that can & does happen to good meaning Cdns while travelling:

Illness - Accidents - Mugging / Robbery - Assault - Natural Disasters - Political Uprising - Terrorism - Death / Murder

No one wants to talk about this stuff but it happens, and it comes usually without much warning, which is WHY it is so important to do one's research and arm with one's self with as much knowledge & preventative actions as possible

Travelling is a choice one makes.
One should be making good choices by being prepared

If ya make good choices, then typically one has a good outcome be it to a 1st World Country or a 3rd World Country

Everyone should do a read thru of the current Govt of Canada Travel Advisory BEFORE you book
Pay particular attention to Health & Safety Issues, and if any Travel Meds are suggested (not just mandatory)

And if you go, consider registering your being in country with the Cdn Embassy / Consulate there
These are the folks who you will reach out to if you run into problems... But if there is an emergency, these are also the folks that will look to contact you & provide assistance (ie evacuation)

The truth about travel is it can be amazing.
The downside is it can be a real heartbreak at times...

The Tourism Industry works hard to hide that realty from the Consumer, cause it is not good for their interests
But if you google round you'll find plenty of stories from fellow Cdns who "Just went to _____ for a nice holiday, and then this happened..."

Sad thing is, there isn't much compensation when sh!t happens abroad. No one you can sue.
So family members come back to Canada with a whole lot of unresolved pain... The best they can do is help to warn others, so perhaps others will be spared.
The good news is the Travel Industry is changing slowly, thanks to the Internet.
It is a huge positive that TripAdvisor for example is now putting cautionary statements on hotels where Travellers (many of them Cdns) have experienced serious issues. It's a start.

Personal story... We like to cruise. We were all set to book a cruise on a particular itinerary / ship. Then I did a bit more digging. Turns out this ship has a potentially serious problem. I changed my mind & booked another ship on a similar itinerary.
(when it comes to cruises if one googles, one can find info on Health & Safety Inspections, CDC Reports, Accidents, and Legal Issues).
I feel I made a well informed safer choice.