• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2017 8:37 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 27, 2003
219 posts

Travelling To New York City

I'm planning on driving to New York City for the first time, around the long weekend of May, my question is, how bad is it for driving? I planned on staying at a hotel in Times Square, so is there any parking for my vehicle, or what is my best bet? Also, things to do, shopping outlets, etc....

Thanks
33 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7973 posts
2819 upvotes
Toronto
Don't get caught speeding. State Troopers loves pulling over Canadian plates and ding them with speeding ticket.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
2520 posts
1656 upvotes
Toronto, ON
stepper17 wrote:
May 6th, 2016 12:39 pm
I'm planning on driving to New York City for the first time, around the long weekend of May, my question is, how bad is it for driving? I planned on staying at a hotel in Times Square, so is there any parking for my vehicle, or what is my best bet? Also, things to do, shopping outlets, etc....

Thanks
There is parking everywhere, but expect to pay at least $60-70 a day for garages.

Metro is the way to navigate the city, not driving...
Jan 12, 2016
22 posts
4 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
Most hotels close to Time square charge for parking. Look for a hotel in Astoria or Queens (most hotels in Queens have free Parking) that is close to a subway station, it's around 20 minutes to Time square. Don't bother driving into Manhattan.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1102 posts
358 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
stepper17 wrote:
May 6th, 2016 1:11 pm
Do the hotels not have parking?
They do but usually valet parking only (meaning they take your car and park it wherever they find space in their allocated lots). Valet would be upwards of $60+ usd a night. Check the hotel's website or call. Many times they don't even guarantee parking space.

A friend drove to NYC and parked at an airport. Then just took a taxi or train to their hotel. There are 3 airports JFK or Laguardia are closest.
Oct 7, 2013
350 posts
116 upvotes
Stepper....this may be the best advice you are going get on this thread...

I have done what you are asking about....I have driven from London Ontario to New York City. Took some family members with us....6 people in all. The big rage back then was the "Cake Boss" t.v. show...believe it or not that was one of the reasons for the trip. We visited Carlo's Bakery...met some of the shows participants at the shop. We did everything else...Statue of Liberty....Empire State building....shopping....strolled Times Square....we did it all.

We stayed at and I am going to highly recommend you do the same...The Holland Hotel...you can find reviews etc. on Trip Advisor...

Free parking at the hotel....Yes....that is what I wrote....FREE PARKING..... and a 15 minute Path train ride to the heart of N.Y.C. It's a piece of cake.

It's in a very very very safe area....it is at the entrance to the Holland tunnel...the cars line up 6 lanes wide to cross over from New Jersey into New York State. And because of the times we currently live in....cops galore!!

So........read the reviews on Trip Advisor for the Holland Hotel in Jersey City New Jersey....and please....be kind enough to let me know if it interests you...it should !!

Have a great trip...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7104 posts
430 upvotes
Toronto
If your less than a party of 3 I would just fly.

As far as shopping if you do drive. The crossings outlet at 380 and 80 is decent. It's PA so no sales tax, helps make up for the poor exchange rate.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Jul 20, 2012
491 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
There's lots of parking lots around Times Square. I've only flown so I've never worried about parking. From what I've seen parking is around $50 (average) USD per day. You're better off leaving your car at JFK airport. You can take the subway and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR) to Penn Station. Penn Station is a 10 minute walk to Times Square. One other thing. If you are determined to drive into Manhattan there is a charge to use the Holland Tunnel. Maybe others here know better than myself.
Gridlock in Manhattan makes Toronto seem like a small town with no traffic.
Have fun in NYC.
Oct 7, 2013
350 posts
116 upvotes
Brian71 wrote:
May 6th, 2016 7:05 pm
There's lots of parking lots around Times Square. I've only flown so I've never worried about parking. From what I've seen parking is around $50 (average) USD per day. You're better off leaving your car at JFK airport. You can take the subway and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR) to Penn Station. Penn Station is a 10 minute walk to Times Square. One other thing. If you are determined to drive into Manhattan there is a charge to use the Holland Tunnel. Maybe others here know better than myself.
Gridlock in Manhattan makes Toronto seem like a small town with no traffic.
Have fun in NYC.
Brian is correct...there is a charge to use the Holland tunnel...but if you like the Holland Hotel as I've posted above you DO NOT drive through the tunnel....therefore no charge...

The hotel is located right at the entrance on the Jersey side but it's not part of your itinerary...
May 11, 2007
603 posts
284 upvotes
Kitchener
stepper17 wrote:

Thanks
Driving is a nightmare during weekdays office hours and hotel Parking are way way expensive. I would suggest you do find some parking garage(google) and park your car there for the duration of your stay in the city which will still cost you around 25-30 dollars/day, and the you can use metro service.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
2079 posts
499 upvotes
stepper17 wrote:

Thanks
We have been to NYC a couple of times and stayed by Times Square. We parked on the Jersey side at Square Ramp for $12/24hrs and took the PATH train in to Manhattan from Journal Square which is across the street and walked to our hotel from 23rd street. The train cost $2.75 one way. You really do not want to drive in Manhattan.
http://www.squareramp.com/squareramp/
http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
Manhattan is very expensive. Driving is insane and the parking costs are high.

If you haven't done so already I would check out the hotel costs in Time Square for the dates you will be there. Make sure you just don't look at the base price - the various taxes really add up and watch for a change in rate based on the days you will be staying.

My husband is going down on business - returning the Friday before the long weekend. Even by using a corporate rate for a basic room the price is extremely high. I took the lowest rate I could find that did not have to be prepaid.

It is cheaper to stay in N.J. But even there the rates have gone up (he goes to an annual conference in N.J.).
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
1769 posts
408 upvotes
Unionville, ON
Cabs in NYC are relatively cheap. Now with the advent of Uber, you have even more choices!

Plus, NYC is very pedestrian accessible. You're more likely to walk everywhere versus driving as like many have said, parking is hard to find and it's very expensive!
Jan 8, 2012
340 posts
100 upvotes
Williams Lake
We drove to Times Square, pulled up in front of the Hilton Doubletree Suites, got out and let them park the car. When we left, we drove east, then up the Roosevelt parkway, and on to Boston.

I think we paid 65 US per night for parking.

It was just like driving in any other busy city--get a map, or a GPS, and go for it.

Though I have to admit, of all the driving we did (Boston, Philly, Washington), it was by far the most memorable bit.