None
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5204 posts
1002 upvotes
Montreal
webworm wrote:
May 7th, 2016 8:41 am
We have been to NYC a couple of times and stayed by Times Square. We parked on the Jersey side at Square Ramp for $12/24hrs and took the PATH train in to Manhattan from Journal Square which is across the street and walked to our hotel from 23rd street. The train cost $2.75 one way. You really do not want to drive in Manhattan.
http://www.squareramp.com/squareramp/
http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html
We parked at the same place during our last NYC trip. The parking lot is safe and we parked in view of a security camera for extra peace of mind.

Bonus: There's a White Castle a few blocks away from the parking lot. You can grab some sliders before heading home ;)
Aug 16, 2009
705 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
Hello, decided against creating a new thread so bumping this one up. I'm planning to drive to New York/New Jersey with the family in the new year on a Saturday morning. We'll be leaving Toronto. Can some of you experienced drivers advise me of the fastest route? We're not planning on making any stops other than food/washroom once or twice along the way. TIA!
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1146 posts
338 upvotes
New York City
Google Maps will provide you with the fastest route based on live traffic. Make sure you get a Toll pass ahead of time.

Driving in NYC is no different than any other major cities in my opinion.
Aug 16, 2009
705 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks. What's the benefit of having this pass? Decrease time/cost?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7104 posts
430 upvotes
Toronto
michiebaby wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 11:35 am
Hello, decided against creating a new thread so bumping this one up. I'm planning to drive to New York/New Jersey with the family in the new year on a Saturday morning. We'll be leaving Toronto. Can some of you experienced drivers advise me of the fastest route? We're not planning on making any stops other than food/washroom once or twice along the way. TIA!
I prefer the Niagara Bridge-i90/i81/i380/i80 route but if you are leaving later in the month be very careful on i81 or look at a more flat route. The i81 stretch is 2 lane, twisty mountainous terrain that has heavy transport truck traffic. Accidents around the Deleware Water Gap are frequent and tie up the route (with not many alternates). Snow / icy roads are common, even when weather in NYC may not appear to be that bad.

If you do take the route stop for a break in the Delaware Water Gap, really beautiful area.

Gas is cheapest in New Jersey as an FYI and it's all full serve for the same price.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7104 posts
430 upvotes
Toronto
michiebaby wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 1:44 pm
Thanks. What's the benefit of having this pass? Decrease time/cost?
You can get one free on i90 rest areas, look for the GET EZ-PASS HERE! logos. You pay $25 and you get $20 of credit and an extra $5 if you add your credit card making it free. The tolls are slightly cheaper, you can use any lane (including the EZ pass only express lanes). You'll need to activate it from your phone (free wifi at rest area). You'll need to exit the highway, pay the cash toll and join the i90 again to start using it.

It should save you some time at Lincoln, Holland or G Washington bridge. However going into NYC on a Saturday night tunnel traffic will be backed up but not too bad, it will move. EZ pass helps. If it sounds too annoying and you don't go to the US often you can skip this, though it is nice and has no monthly maintenance fees.
Aug 16, 2009
705 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like we aren't quite going to NYC, but rather a hotel close to EWR. I'm assuming the routes will still be similar?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7104 posts
430 upvotes
Toronto
michiebaby wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 3:56 pm
Looks like we aren't quite going to NYC, but rather a hotel close to EWR. I'm assuming the routes will still be similar?
Yes you just need to get yourself into the New Jersey area. I say this in the nicest way possible, look at google maps please, you should get familiar with the area.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1487 posts
795 upvotes
We travel the whole of Eastern Canada & the Eastern USA regularly.

Quickest route, and best route, are not always the same thing.

@GangStarr has given you what I consider good advice.

Coming from TO, I recommend you stick with the Interstates, and stay off the side routes as much as possible, especially if you are travelling in Winter.
(Google often recommends cross country routes to link up highways, supposedly save time... it does not).

So Hwy 403 to QEW to 405. Cross the Border at the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge. Then I-190 to the I-290 to I-90 west to Syracuse. From there its I-81 south to Scranton, where you pick up the I-84 to the I-380 to I-80. East of Parsippany-Troy you get onto the I-280 which will take you into Newark.

NOTES:

Driving in the Winter be sure and watch the weather, because although the roads & road clearing are good along this entire route, this area can be effected by BOTH storms coming in from the West, and also coming up the Atlantic Coast (a Nor'easter).

I-81 is our favourite choice for driving to most of the Atlantic States, because except for brief bits, its not terribly mountainous, nor does it spend a lot of time in "freezing rain" pockets. It tends to be Snow or Rain, one or the other.

I-90 is notorious for Lake Effect Snow whiteouts... so like I said check the Weather ahead of time.

I-81 worst bits are thru the bottom of NY State and the top of Penn (Binghamton to Scranton) and the I-380 thru the Poconos as already outlined above by GangStarr.

Also watch out for Deer in the mountainous areas... driving after dark is not recommended. We've even seen deer thru these bits in the daylight hours.

As already stated a good lot of this drive has Tolls of some sort (international Bridge Crossings - NY State Thruways - NY City Bridges etc). You can pay cash (what we do) or get yourself a EZ Pass... choice is yours.

Also agree that traffic will build the closer to the Coastal Cities you get... so looking at a map to familiarize yourself, or loading up your GPS is the way to go.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28254 posts
4221 upvotes
Ottawa
GangStarr wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 4:09 pm
Yes you just need to get yourself into the New Jersey area. I say this in the nicest way possible, look at google maps please, you should get familiar with the area.
In my opinion, staying in Newark just to save money on hotels is false economy. You still need to get into Manhattan somehow and taking a subway, in my opinion, is not fun and a waste of the short time you have there (anywhere from 30 min to an hour on the subway, depending where you are). Also, if you want to take a break, it is a long way back to your hotel....and then a long way back to where you want to be.
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1487 posts
795 upvotes
Staying in NJ makes no sense unless you:
(a) Have family in Jersey
(b) Are flying out somewhere else... or
(c) Headed on a cruise out of Port of Bayonne (Cape Liberty)

Cause if you really want to experience NY City you have to get onto the Island of Manhattan. No two ways about it.

NOW... I am not opposed to one's car staying put in NJ... that in many cases is an excellent idea / real cost saver.

Just pack light (carry on / sports bag situation) so you can jump onto the Train / Subway and get to your hotel.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1146 posts
338 upvotes
New York City
Pete_Coach wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 8:32 am
In my opinion, staying in Newark just to save money on hotels is false economy. You still need to get into Manhattan somehow and taking a subway, in my opinion, is not fun and a waste of the short time you have there (anywhere from 30 min to an hour on the subway, depending where you are). Also, if you want to take a break, it is a long way back to your hotel....and then a long way back to where you want to be.
Agreed. The most "far" i would stay would be Hoboken area, and even then I would recommend folks to stay in Manhattan if they plan to explore Manhattan and/or their first time. It's nice to have a place to take a break in the middle of the day from all the walking and hustle/bustle.

I did that mistake once in Paris where I stayed at the airport hotel in the Terminal which meant for a long train ride in and out at the end of the night when all I wanted to do was crash.
Aug 16, 2009
705 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
It's option C for us - (c) Headed on a cruise out of Port of Bayonne (Cape Liberty) :)