Travel

Travelling through Germany alone - Tips?

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2019 10:15 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
1673 posts
404 upvotes
Toronto

Travelling through Germany alone - Tips?

I’ll be meeting up with a friend and his wife in Munich for a couple of days, but for the most part I’ll be solo.

Thinking just a few days in Hamburg and Berlin, and possibly heading into the Swiss Alps.

There’s racism everywhere in the world, but any places I should stay away from? I’m male, but a person of

As far as accommodations, what is a decent hotel chain? Something not too expensive but middle of the road. I’m not looking to do a hostel thing, as I’m too old for that. :)

Lastly, is August asking for trouble in terms of peak season? I know many Europeans also go away during this time, so it might be a double whammy with other tourists.
8 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
23308 posts
2827 upvotes
Montreal
I've lived and travelled in Germany and have had no issues with racism.

Hamburg is a beautiful town, worth spending a day or two imho. The old part of the city is nice, and there are many museums and cultural heritage places to visit.

Germany is not Spain or France. People still work in August and major tourist areas will be functional.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
2494 posts
937 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
In general, it appear racism is more likely to be encountered in the former GDR (east Germany). Though not prevalent, use your street smarts and avoid getting anywhere near mobs of young men of certain appearance (i.e., skin heads).
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Jan 17, 2017
185 posts
101 upvotes
blindemboss wrote:
May 13th, 2019 8:02 am

Thinking just a few days in Hamburg and Berlin, and possibly heading into the Swiss Alps.
The German and Austrian alps would be much closer and less expensive. Check out places like zugspitze, mittenwald, seefeld, Berchtesgaden, Innsbruck, etc.

Another popular option around munich is neuschwanstein castle.

Also, Germany has good regional train offers if you go off peak (after 9am on weekday). The offers are even better with more than 1 person.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
1673 posts
404 upvotes
Toronto
Soty613 wrote:
May 13th, 2019 1:42 pm
The German and Austrian alps would be much closer and less expensive. Check out places like zugspitze, mittenwald, seefeld, Berchtesgaden, Innsbruck, etc.

Another popular option around munich is neuschwanstein castle.

Also, Germany has good regional train offers if you go off peak (after 9am on weekday). The offers are even better with more than 1 person.
Thanks, I’m hoping my friend will point out the hotspots to visit.
Are there any hotel chains accommodations you might recommend?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8439 posts
2796 upvotes
Toronto
Germany is easy to travel around. Very convenient, efficient, and reliable public transportation. Driving is also easy, with no limit on the autobahn.

For hotels, the major international chains are in big cities, but doesn't have a good presence in the small to medium cities. We stayed at quite a few Best Western hotels on points. We had a rental car so location wasn't a problem. You can be assured the smaller hotels are still decent in Germany. OTOH, the German hotel breakfasts are often not very tasty. The BW hotels were alright, but many of the others (NH chains, IBIS chains, etc.) only have lots of cucumbers, tomatoes, ham and cheese, and not much else.

Oh, the apple wine is cheap. At the supermarkets with the big letter K in front, we bought 750ml apple wines for 1 euro, and drank a bottle each night.
Jan 17, 2017
185 posts
101 upvotes
blindemboss wrote:
May 15th, 2019 12:39 pm
Thanks, I’m hoping my friend will point out the hotspots to visit.
Are there any hotel chains accommodations you might recommend?
Not much to add from above post. Usually i have stayed on points in Munich, so I picked whatever had best location vs points.

Munich has a very good subway system and is walkable, so weigh cost vs location. I'd personally try to stay around old town or in between old town and the train station. There are many chains near the train station and the area is not as nice, so maybe check reviews if you end up there.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7850 posts
776 upvotes
Vancouver
Can only add that in 2012 I ran into a person of colour in Warsaw Poland. Asked him what it was like being black in Poland (he was from France) he said he felt people were extra nice to him to specifically make up for the racial potential bias of a very white country like Poland.

This was before the refugee crisis and all but German youth are international well educated and reasonable people. I’d like to think there is more good then bad.

Based on your tourist travel patterns dress and activists. I’d assume you’d be treated as any other tourist.

I wouldn’t write the whole country off as racists.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
1872 posts
892 upvotes
germany is great, sample lots of beer and food and talk to locals, most young people speak english and are very friendly.
Got that Zoomer account!