• Apr 25th, 2014 1:45 pm
Tags:
None
May 14, 2007
205 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto

Travelling from Toronto to Sydney, Australia

We are planning on taking a trip to Sudney, Australia during Christmas holiday time. Approximate departure would be the week of Dec 15th and returning first week of January 2015. During that time flights are really expensive and I am looking for suggestion from fellow travellers on getting a good deal. What would be the most economic way to fly?

Thanks.
12 replies
Mar 6, 2010
153 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
I used my points. 80K aeroplan and paid around $230 in taxes. Mind you had a few layovers but saved a lot. With all the aeroplan card promotions in the past year, 80K isn't really that hard to save up.

My trip was Toronto-Sydney and the Perth to Toronto. If I priced out Air Canada (Toronto-Vancouver-Sydney) it would have cost over $2500 at the time.
Using point I had to fly UA and singapore air:

Toronto-New York-LA-Sydney
Perth-Singapore-Beijing-Chicago-Toronto (Beijing was optional it was just a better us of time)

Might look like a lot of layovers but it wasn't that bad.

Aeroplan had other options with less layover but is you have a stop in europe, prepare of higher taxes.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
5000 posts
611 upvotes
Victoria
Your situation is exactly what points are for.
Not a political sig
May 14, 2007
205 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto
Unfortunately, I do not subscribe to any points program. Should I sign-up now? Will that give me enough to use towards this trip considering I have only few months before I can buy this ticket? Which card do you guys suggest that has the best travel rewards program.

Thanks for all the comments.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9332 upvotes
where I belong
You're too late to find any "cheap" reward routings to Australia for Dec 2014
Only available ones maybe EXPENSIVE routings on Air Canada

Any X'mas "good/cheap/no YQ" Aeroplan booking need to be booked a year prior (~355 days out)
plus, you need 80K points PER PERSON in Economy for round-trip

Anyway, good luck, and for X'mas, I'd suggest book ASAP once you find a price you're okay with, as it won't go down as December approaches
just keep checking on Google Flights
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
2332 posts
710 upvotes
Alberta
I'd echo the points, but I think it's a little late now, especially if you're looking at a family situation.
I booked in February for an April flight, 80k pts + $280ish.

We done round trip flights from Calgary to Melbourne for as cheap as 1200 for a May flight, to me paying 2200 for a flight in July.
May 14, 2007
205 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto
China Eastern Airline has some really good deals flying out of Vancouver, and I heard they are going to start a new route flying out of Toronto to Shanghai, and Shanghai to Sydney. However I have done some digging on the net, and found that most of the reviews for this CE is horrible and not recommended to fly.
Any thoughts?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
5000 posts
611 upvotes
Victoria
There's a delta match on that china eastern sale for YVR->HKG. Maybe you could combine that with a HKG->SYD fare. Leave lots of time if it's interline.
Not a political sig
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
ronnroz wrote: We are planning on taking a trip to Sudney, Australia during Christmas holiday time. Approximate departure would be the week of Dec 15th and returning first week of January 2015. During that time flights are really expensive and I am looking for suggestion from fellow travellers on getting a good deal. What would be the most economic way to fly?

Thanks.
I can`t help you with cheap flights but Australia is along way to go in the short time frame you have chosen. Your going to lose at least 2-3 days travelling and then the jet lag.
Unless you have to go at this time you might want to go when you have more time and the flights are cheaper. I have always wanted to go to Australia and anybody that I talked to said you need at least 30 days to really enjoy your vacation and not worried about travel times and jet lag.

Here is 1 option.

Toronto (YYZ) to Sydney (SYD) (Round trip)

Airline: Air France Depart: Toronto (YYZ) Arrive: Paris (CDG)
Flight number: 351 Date: Mon Dec 15, 2014 Date: Tue Dec 16, 2014
Flight duration: N/A Time: 6:40 pm Time: 08:05 am

Airline: Air France Depart: Paris (CDG) Arrive: Guangzhou (Canton) (CAN)
Flight number: 102 Date: Tue Dec 16, 2014 Date: Wed Dec 17, 2014
Flight duration: N/A Time: 11:30 pm Time: 6:15 pm

Airline: Air France Depart: Guangzhou (Canton) (CAN) Arrive: Sydney (SYD)
Flight number: 9738 Date: Wed Dec 17, 2014 Date: Thu Dec 18, 2014
Flight duration: N/A Time: 9:05 pm Time: 09:05 am

Class: N / N / N Economy $2859
Includes taxes
and fees
Feb 4, 2009
67 posts
26 upvotes
Guelph
Look into flying out of Detroit, Flint or Buffalo. Delta had some really good deals when I flew Detroit - Melbourne last year. Round trip was only about $1600 all in. Mind you, that wasn't over Christmas.

Also, Sydney wasn't all it's cracked up to be. Most people who've been to both cities prefer Melbourne (myself included).
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
We did three weeks. It was more than ok; though, longer would have been better.

Now if you do three weeks, I would recommended a week of rest and relaxation first. We did a week I port Douglas by the pool and beach (and GBR)...

Also points wouldn't matter now as you might be hard pressed to find redemption options.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2241 posts
447 upvotes
perhaps not going during the most expensive time to travel would be a good start
but if you must...try to churn a bunch of reward credit cards and fly on points, if flights are even available. definitely won't be in J (business class), but it's a long time to spend in coach
Deal Expert
Sep 4, 2003
18714 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
See if you can fly into KL or Singapore, and fly regional Air Asia or Tiger Airways to Australia.

I remember flying roundtrip KL to Melborne for $4XX on sale.
For Sale:

HEATWARE