• Jan 2nd, 2013 12:26 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 10, 2004
188 posts
6 upvotes

Travelling to the US

Going to the US for 3 weeks in Sept. Looking at Bell's roaming rate plans, would it not be cheaper just to get a prepaid sim card from one of the US cellular Companies?

My tablet is unlocked but my phone is not, but I could get by on text messaging instead of phone calls but would like the data for Google maps and some web browsing while we are there. Although it would be easy to unlock the phone as well I guess.

Any thoughts or Expierences?
27 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2009
2142 posts
77 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
it's be cheaper if you buy a us sim and install it into your tablet. There are prepaid data+voice package you can get.
Sep 12, 2007
187 posts
30 upvotes
If you don't use a lot of data getting a Wind prepaid plan with the $5.00 US roaming add on may be an option. You can forward your calls to it and it will cost you 10 cents pm for roaming calls, and calls back to Canada, free inbound text and $.50 per MB for data and you can roam on both T Mobile & ATT. European roaming with Wind is also extremely cheap with a currently free monthly add on.

If you use a lot of data then a local sim may make more sense.
Jun 15, 2011
37993 posts
5468 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I'm in the US till Friday and have been here since Saturday. I just paid $15 for unlimited sms and calls. It's $2 per day with AT&T.

Data is $25 for 1GB I think.

So I'm sure you can find a local prepaid sim card. The Mobile has one with unlimited data up to 200MB on 4G then drops to 2G speeds after.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Jun 22, 2004
6160 posts
54 upvotes
There are a lot of prepaids in the USA and for me, it's quite confusing. Fortuntely, if I need data or the use of a phone, I suck-it-up until I find a McDonalds, Barnes and Noble, or Starbucks that have free wifi.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
2068 posts
41 upvotes
Mississauga
djemzine wrote:
Aug 6th, 2012 2:50 pm
I'm in the US till Friday and have been here since Saturday. I just paid $15 for unlimited sms and calls. It's $2 per day with AT&T.

Data is $25 for 1GB I think.
I use my AT&T GO Phone prepaid whenever I'm in the states.
Jun 15, 2011
37993 posts
5468 upvotes
Richmond Hill
shushwap wrote:
Aug 6th, 2012 6:06 pm
Have a look at straight talk..... They use Att... https://www.straighttalk.com/secure/ServicePlans
Never heard of this, need to compare this with Roam Mobility as I know with Roam, your US # never expires if used at least once a year, so basically you have it for a year. With the $45 plan with Straight talk, its unlimited everything and for a month BUT how long is the US # valid for if I go back to the US say after a month or two?
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Jul 10, 2004
188 posts
6 upvotes
shushwap wrote:
Aug 6th, 2012 6:06 pm
Have a look at straight talk..... They use Att... https://www.straighttalk.com/secure/ServicePlans
Guessing that my Galaxy Rugby 5690M will be compatible with their system but not sure of my galaxy tablet. If my tab is compatible then I could just get the sim card and use the data for browse and the voice for text only.

From Straighttalk:
Please choose the type of phone you have:

Phone is a CDMA (i.e. Verizon, Sprint, Metro PCS), TracFone, SafeLink, NET10, Straight Talk or BlackBerry Unlocked GSM Phone (Phone must operate in 850 and 1900 MHz bands) AT&T Compatible Phone T-Mobile Compatible Phone
From gsmarena on the 5690:
GENERAL
2G NetworkGSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G NetworkHSDPA 900 / 2100
Might be worth the $40 to unlock it.
Sold Items
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ SOLD to jiffylube
Crucial Ballistix PC3200 1GB SOLD to wburke
16GB Touchpad, Touchstone charger & case SOLD to I RFD

*****HeatWare*****
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3227 posts
342 upvotes
djemzine wrote:
Aug 6th, 2012 7:52 pm
Never heard of this, need to compare this with Roam Mobility as I know with Roam, your US # never expires if used at least once a year, so basically you have it for a year. With the $45 plan with Straight talk, its unlimited everything and for a month BUT how long is the US # valid for if I go back to the US say after a month or two?
Have a look over at Hofo... All your answers are over there http://www.howardforums.com/forumdispla ... aight-Talk
[OP]
Jul 10, 2004
188 posts
6 upvotes
Bought one of the Telus refurbished SGS2X's today so I will unlock it and use it with the straighttalk when I get into the US. Would rather leave my company phone locked to bell.

Thanks for the info shuswap.

I assume you are just down the road from me. (Kamloops)
Sold Items

*****HeatWare*****
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3227 posts
342 upvotes
Rich_D wrote:
Aug 8th, 2012 12:31 am
Bought one of the Telus refurbished SGS2X's today so I will unlock it and use it with the straighttalk when I get into the US. Would rather leave my company phone locked to bell.

Thanks for the info shuswap.

I assume you are just down the road from me. (Kamloops)
Not to far away at all.... I have the same phone... You can use it with Tmobile as well... I have used mine in the states a few times with both Att and Tmobile...
I used these guys to Unlock my phone http://www.mobileincanada.com/How-To-Un ... -Cellphone
The Tmobile daily plans are great for short trips in the USA... http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/pay- ... hone-plans
Set up a google voice account once you are down there as well... Allows you to call back to Canada without LD charges
[OP]
Jul 10, 2004
188 posts
6 upvotes
shushwap wrote:
Aug 8th, 2012 1:29 am
Not to far away at all.... I have the same phone... You can use it with Tmobile as well... I have used mine in the states a few times with both Att and Tmobile...
I used these guys to Unlock my phone http://www.mobileincanada.com/How-To-Un ... -Cellphone
The Tmobile daily plans are great for short trips in the USA... http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/pay- ... hone-plans
Set up a google voice account once you are down there as well... Allows you to call back to Canada without LD charges
Awesome to know. Thanks for the tips.

Much difference between Tmo and ATT as far as reliability and/or Coverage?
Sold Items

*****HeatWare*****
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3227 posts
342 upvotes
It all depends on where you go.... I have only ever used it on the west coast... Seattle... Nevada... Arizona... Heading to southern Cali in a couple of weeks... I am going to use Tmobile and the wife will try out att... See if there is any real difference between the two on the drive down... Just check the coverage area for where ever you are going... They say Att is really congested in San fran... With Speakout you can get a Att or Tmobile sim... Not sure how it works on what one you get...
[OP]
Jul 10, 2004
188 posts
6 upvotes
Will be in and around Raton NM and looks like ATT coverage all the way down through WA, Montana , Colorado etc so might just try ATT.
Sold Items

*****HeatWare*****
× < >