Travel

Travelling to the US with birth certificate?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 10th, 2005 2:11 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 5, 2005
155 posts
1 upvote

Travelling to the US with birth certificate?

I'm a canadian citizen and I know that back in the good ole days you can travel to the US with just your birth certificate. Is this still applicable now (after 9/11)? Has anyone had experience with this recently?

I gotta cross the border this weekend for a family get together and my passport just expired. :(
5 replies
Dec 9, 2003
674 posts
5 upvotes
Take photo ID, your birth certif AND your expired passport with you and you won't have any problems as long as you were born a CDN citizen.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
67 upvotes
Lando wrote:Take photo ID, your birth certif AND your expired passport with you and you won't have any problems as long as you were born a CDN citizen.
Yup, with all of this, you should be fine. You should only need your BC + DL or expired passport.
Mar 5, 2005
155 posts
1 upvote
Thanks Guys! I would hate to not be able to show up for my own engagement party and start off on the wrong foot with the in-laws :)
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2004
1401 posts
70 upvotes
Mount Hope, ON
PussInBoots wrote:I'm a canadian citizen and I know that back in the good ole days you can travel to the US with just your birth certificate. Is this still applicable now (after 9/11)? Has anyone had experience with this recently?

I gotta cross the border this weekend for a family get together and my passport just expired. :(
I have crossed three times in the last two months at Lewiston and at Ft. Erie. I have taken Birth Certificate and Drivers License, but only been asked for photo Drivers License.
There are two types of people in the world,
those who search for hidden messages, and those who don't.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
i've gone across a few times.. all i've been asked for is birth certificate and photo id.
That's my 2cents worth

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)