Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12614 posts
2318 upvotes
Kappa21 wrote: So wait....

Just a quick question...

If you do want to go on vacation to visit family.......
And you notify EI of that, can you still get exempted from the whole scrutiny from the CBSA?

If you go for like a week and you tell them..can you get a paper of exemption?
does it work that way?

I don't understand what you are talking about with regards to scrutiny from CBSA or paper of exemption, however you are free to go on vacation. Just tell EI (when you make the report) and they will not pay you for that period. Very simple.
Sep 18, 2011
362 posts
41 upvotes
AURORA
slowtyper wrote: I don't understand what you are talking about with regards to scrutiny from CBSA or paper of exemption, however you are free to go on vacation. Just tell EI (when you make the report) and they will not pay you for that period. Very simple.

No No...

I just thought that one you apply for EI your passport gets put on a list of some sort and if they scan your passport, you will get red flagged if you cross the border....

I also heard that they check your IP address when you claim EI to make sure your IP is in Canada and not done elsewhere abroad. Is that true?

So if you say that they dont check up on that, can you simply go abroad, come back and then fill your 2 week report saying that you been abroad and you dont want your payment for that period?
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
2587 posts
258 upvotes
Calgary
craigsol wrote: And you will get caught. I did had to pay back a weeks worth of EI plus a 30% fine. Simply not worth it

Did you receive a letter and did not respond or they took your explanation to be invalid. Or did you talk in person. Any body had legal representation with these uses? Are all those case over the phone, letter written or actually talking to a local representative at EI office??
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
2587 posts
258 upvotes
Calgary
I know of the situation that the person went for few months to honestly looking for work over seas in the oil patch some years ago. Arranged all the contacts in Canada and the communication systems at home such that can answer the phone when some one calls or leaves a message. Had local line set up, the internet e-mils and skype ready at his place of search. Somehow he was convinced he is doing it by law. ( he was claiming insurance). He is an honest person. Should I tell him to inform the Agency to check on the correctness of his claim; what would happen to him if he reports now?. Should he get legal help if he decides to resurrect his case?
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
2587 posts
258 upvotes
Calgary
pepsi_vs_coke wrote: Has any of you able to talk your way out of it? Sorry I know it's my fault but I hope to minimize the penalty if I be honest with them and turn myself in.

OR

should i just pretend never receive the letter from them and see what happen?

Please help

You never told us what happen to you and did you try getting some legal assistance in resolving this issue??
Jun 10, 2014
1 posts
Kelowna, BC
Nosnhoj wrote: Great... so my taxes are funding your Vegas trip. Get a job and pay for your own damn vacation.
NO. his contributions would have funded it. You cannot collect EI unless you pay into it first. And obviously you did not take the time to read all the other comments. He was being honest and asking if he could go and still collect EI.
Mar 3, 2014
3 posts
Hi,
I am on Ei and was entitled to 38 weeks. I received 22 of it. 16 weeks left.
On the other hand, My claim end date is Feb 28,2015 which is 28 weeks far. i believe this means I can be out of Canada for 12 weeks unpaid but without any loss of ei payment because of these 12 weeks of spare time. Am I right?
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7187 upvotes
Calgary
michellevancouver wrote: Hi,
I am on Ei and was entitled to 38 weeks. I received 22 of it. 16 weeks left.
On the other hand, My claim end date is Feb 28,2015 which is 28 weeks far. i believe this means I can be out of Canada for 12 weeks unpaid but without any loss of ei payment because of these 12 weeks of spare time. Am I right?
Yes.
Mar 3, 2014
3 posts
Thank you for your reply b166er1337. I wanted to make sure that when I come back to Canada after 2 months, I will still have 16 weeks left.
Thank you again :)
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7187 upvotes
Calgary
michellevancouver wrote: Thank you for your reply b166er1337. I wanted to make sure that when I come back to Canada after 2 months, I will still have 16 weeks left.
Thank you again :)
It is best to still file the bi-weekly report by declaring you are out of country and you are NOT available for work. That way you probably don't even have to call Service Canada when you return.
Jul 3, 2011
143 posts
36 upvotes
Canada
You certainly can leave Canada if you are going for a job interview in the U.S. for example. Just keep records of the company you talked to, the names of the people who interviewed you and all that can be verified. I would think the province would be delighted to get rid of another person collecting benefits by having them leave the country.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2012
1430 posts
100 upvotes
Just a quick question, if you went out of the country for a vacation trip you booked while you were working and was laid off ,and the vacation duration was for 9 days long, and claim you were out of the country during that period. Do you receive an extra 9 days of EI payment even though you were unpaid during those 9 days initially but the amount you receive overall for the Ei 52 week claim is without any loss of ei payment because of these 12 weeks of spare time. Am I right?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8541 posts
2655 upvotes
Toronto
taeyang987 wrote: Just a quick question, if you went out of the country for a vacation trip you booked while you were working and was laid off ,and the vacation duration was for 9 days long, and claim you were out of the country during that period. Do you receive an extra 9 days of EI payment even though you were unpaid during those 9 days initially but the amount you receive overall for the Ei 52 week claim is without any loss of ei payment because of these 12 weeks of spare time. Am I right?
If you got laid off there is 2 weeks waiting period without paid before EI comes in. If you got a severance package for your employer then whatever it is (let say 1 months pay) then it will becomes 2weeks + one month waiting time. So your vacation of 9 days is almost same as the 2 weeks waiting period.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2409 posts
765 upvotes
New Brunswick
Okay Carlton (OP), you can leave the country but you will not receive EI for the time that you are gone. You will fill out the online form.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8541 posts
2655 upvotes
Toronto
raichu1 wrote: Okay Carlton (OP), you can leave the country but you will not receive EI for the time that you are gone. You will fill out the online form.
What is that online form? The bi-weekly report? Where u will say you are not available for work and outside Canada?
Banned
Nov 1, 2014
4317 posts
562 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Nosnhoj wrote: Great... so my taxes are funding your Vegas trip. Get a job and pay for your own damn vacation.
No..ei benefits are paid from previous payroll deductions...the govt routinely takes surplus from ei and use it for their economic action plan advertisements and other advertisements on programs that don't exist
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2012
1430 posts
100 upvotes
so when it asks if you left the country, you can fill in no they did not leave the country, even they did?
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
LandKing wrote: No..ei benefits are paid from previous payroll deductions...
It's an insurance and not a benefit payment per se ...
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
taeyang987 wrote: so when it asks if you left the country, you can fill in no they did not leave the country, even they did?
Say you were out of the country, and that you were not available for the days you were gone.

and can this be merged?
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2409 posts
765 upvotes
New Brunswick
In the reporting, a question is did you leave the country. I believe from there you put in the dates when you were out of the country. I never left Canada on EI so I do not know the details.