• Dec 3rd, 2018 12:59 pm
[OP]
Jul 26, 2013
238 posts
89 upvotes
CALGARY

Is this treadmill a good purchase?

Hey folks
So I'm interested in getting a treadmill which I can run on for around 30 minutes 3-4 times per week. I.e speed of 6-8 mph maybe a little higher sometimes.
This one from costco is what I'm looking at. Is it a good purchase for me? Good value?
I'm around 170lbs
https://www.costco.ca/NordicTrack-T6.7I ... 30918.html
12 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
4984 posts
1308 upvotes
Aurora
This should really be in the Fitness forum. But on specs alone, I suppose it'll do for jogging. The 2.6 CHP is just enough for activity a little more brisk than walking. Price seems decent. Visually, it looks pretty fragile, though.

My opinion on treadmills is to go mid-tier. They take a hell of a lot of abuse and I'd want proven rock solid reliability rather than flashy features. I'd also prefer at least a 3.0 CHP motor. I also run at 6-8 mph and I think at 8, a 2.6 motor might be pushing it, especially if you mix that with heavy inclines (I'm 154 lbs). I have a Sole F80 which has been incredibly solid through the years. Though, yes, it's in another price range entirely.
https://www.treadmillfactory.ca/sole-f8 ... 62EALw_wcB
https://www.treadmillreviews.ca/sole-f80/
[OP]
Jul 26, 2013
238 posts
89 upvotes
CALGARY
DiceMan wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 8:49 pm
This should really be in the Fitness forum. But on specs alone, I suppose it'll do for jogging. The 2.6 CHP is just enough for activity a little more brisk than walking. Price seems decent. Visually, it looks pretty fragile, though.

My opinion on treadmills is to go mid-tier. They take a hell of a lot of abuse and I'd want proven rock solid reliability rather than flashy features. I'd also prefer at least a 3.0 CHP motor. I also run at 6-8 mph and I think at 8, a 2.6 motor might be pushing it, especially if you mix that with heavy inclines (I'm 154 lbs). I have a Sole F80 which has been incredibly solid through the years. Though, yes, it's in another price range entirely.
https://www.treadmillfactory.ca/sole-f8 ... 62EALw_wcB
https://www.treadmillreviews.ca/sole-f80/
Good information, thanks for the reply!

I would spend a little more, but really I'm looking for something for days I'm too lazy to go to the gym and I dont really want to spend over a grand for the treadmill.

Do you figure running 8mph on this at no incline would work ok?
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
4984 posts
1308 upvotes
Aurora
findmesumdealz wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 9:26 pm
Good information, thanks for the reply!

I would spend a little more, but really I'm looking for something for days I'm too lazy to go to the gym and I dont really want to spend over a grand for the treadmill.

Do you figure running 8mph on this at no incline would work ok?
Yeah, I'd say running at 8 with 0 incline should be OK. Mind you, the heaviest I've been is 168 and 80% of my running is between 6.5 - 7 so I really don't have any idea of long term effects running at the higher end of the speed spectrum on a 2.6 chp machine. Other folks in the Sports & Fitness forum should be able to chime in.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
3477 posts
1282 upvotes
I read running itself isn't the most ideal form of exercise. The stair climbers are going to give you a way better workout, with no illusions about whether you had a workout or not.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12956 posts
3238 upvotes
Here 'n There
It's going to be a piece of garbage in about 5 years. Fact is treadmills take one hell of a lot of pounding. You need something with a more powerful motor, more solid frame and more real estate than a few hundred bucks can provide. I bought a Bodyguard treadmill (BodyGuard Fitness), which is a manufactured by a Quebec company, 21 years ago and and it is still going strong, but it's about 4x the price of the Costco one. Lifetime warranty on the motor and frame.

I see used Bodyguards go on sale once in a while for a fraction of the price and they are an incredible deal.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
4796 posts
848 upvotes
Thornhill
get a used one as cheap as possible. treadmill is one of those machines that most folks buy , use it for a year and then never again. I've personally never met anyone who bought it and then said it was a good decision.
If you have no desire and motivation to join and go to a fitness club 3 times a week, a treadmill will only serve you a short little while before you will get discouraged.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12956 posts
3238 upvotes
Here 'n There
dazz wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 9:47 pm
get a used one as cheap as possible. treadmill is one of those machines that most folks buy , use it for a year and then never again. I've personally never met anyone who bought it and then said it was a good decision.
If you have no desire and motivation to join and go to a fitness club 3 times a week, a treadmill will only serve you a short little while before you will get discouraged.
I have lots of friends with treadmills who have been using them for many years as I have mine for 21 years now, but then my friends aren't slobs.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1357 posts
316 upvotes
St. Catharines, ON
Swerny wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 10:48 am
buy one on Kijiji for cheap because the majority of them don't get used and just gather dust.

The fact they are huge and take a ton of space makes them even cheaper.
I agree 100%. There are lots of unused treadmills in basements, that are in very good condition, begging to be used.
Feb 12, 2009
259 posts
41 upvotes
North York
Personally as a trainer I say spend the big Bucks now (if you in fact use it ) it will save you later when either the low end craps out or even cheaper than a gym membership. I would buy a used Lifefutnes on Patric
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5210 posts
515 upvotes
badOne wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 10:46 pm
I read running itself isn't the most ideal form of exercise. The stair climbers are going to give you a way better workout, with no illusions about whether you had a workout or not.
Ideal...for what? For who? It's relative ;)

If OP likes to and wants to walk, run, and jog, a stair climber is not ideal. People are more likely to continue with activities they like.
Last edited by amz155 on Dec 3rd, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
2601 posts
1174 upvotes
Burlington
We just bought a NordicTrack 2450 on sale from Bestbuy. Comes very well reviewed and apparently is built like a tank.

At the very minimum it will get used for walking while I watch TV with headphones.