Home & Garden

Tree next to my house fell down: who to call?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 17th, 2019 4:11 pm
Tags:
Aug 18, 2014
602 posts
385 upvotes
Markham, ON

Tree next to my house fell down: who to call?

A tree next to my fence just fell down last week. Not sure what happened cause I didn't recall any high wind last week, it was a young tree about 1.5-2" diameter and 7ft tall.

I am in the corner lot, the tree is right next to my fence, I am not sure if it is inside or outside my property line.
I maintain and mow the lawn where the trees are planted since it feels like an extension of my lawn, and no one else was maintaining it..

Is the downed tree my responsibility?
Who should I call to clear the tree?

If the city comes to clear the tree, will they replant another tree? if they do, I assume they won't send me a bill for them right.....?
If the tree is actually my responsibility, do I have to replant another tree after I clear off the old one?
5 replies
Aug 18, 2014
602 posts
385 upvotes
Markham, ON
Oh and obviously I didn't plant the tree.
It was a new subdivision so the builder planted the trees before we move in 3 years ago
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
29332 posts
10712 upvotes
Hamilton
Call the city. Should be free
hated on but respected.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12694 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
pinkdonut wrote: A tree next to my fence just fell down last week. Not sure what happened cause I didn't recall any high wind last week, it was a young tree about 1.5-2" diameter and 7ft tall.
99% it was kids messing with it. Those builder trees around me have about a 50% lie vs die rate and even the ones that do grow rarely thrive. So it probably had a weak root system and died.

I’d replace it personally for as free as possible. Find a small tree in the woods, or plant about 8 maple keys there and have a contest for who grows the fastest and pinch off the losers.

As for getting rid of it, its pretty small so chop it up and get rid of it.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33234 posts
21163 upvotes
Toronto
If this is in your front yard and your subdivision has not been assumed by the city, then city will not take your case. You will have to call the builder who is still responsible for the unassumed subdivision.
Jun 19, 2019
1 posts
Hi I’m new to this so sorry if I’m posting in the wrong area. I,ve planted a maple tree in my backyard it’s 7 feet away from my neighbors fence (property line) can he do anything or complain about my tree