None
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5149 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto

Trekking Backpack?

Hey,

I am planning to do the Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu in April and was looking for input on a backpack I can take that will securely store my dSLR, accommodate a 2-3L water bladder pack, and other random stuff (flash light, dirty/wet clothes, snacks, small first aid kit). I have a 6D with a battery grip and I think I will be taking my 24-105L as the go-to lens and maybe a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 (not sure if it will be worth the extra weight). My current backpack (Heys 06) doesn't have a dedicated section for a dSLR nor are there enough pockets to keep all the stuff separated. I have usually just wrapped my dSLR in some clothes in this backpack but I am not sure I would trust that for an outdoor hike.

Any suggestions for a backpack that would work for this? Thanks in advance.

This is also my current backpack (not sure an insert will work as there is only really one main compartment):

http://shop.heys.ca/collections/softsid ... cts/epac05
23 replies
Banned
Feb 24, 2016
46 posts
5 upvotes
Hello...I have done the 3 days trk to machu picchu, and went on to do HP as well once I got to MP. I can tell you now that the only lens you will need thru your trek is the 18-55mm lens. You don't need to lump all your other lens around. Get a light tripod to go in your backpack. For your DSLR, I suggest getting a hip back similar to the one below which is what I had, which can be configured in any way convenient for you.

You want quick access to your camera, and not having to fiddle with your backpack which should contain your change of clothes, snacks, toileteries, and water bottle in the side pockets

Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
^ 6D can't use a 18-55. On crop, that's 28.8-88 which is basically his 24-105.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Asad_A203 wrote: ...a backpack I can take that will securely store my dSLR, accommodate a 2-3L water bladder pack, and other random stuff (flash light, dirty/wet clothes, snacks, small first aid kit). I have a 6D with a battery grip and I think I will be taking my 24-105L as the go-to lens and maybe a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 (not sure if it will be worth the extra weight)...
Lowepro Fastpack 250 or 350 has a top compartment to carry clothes and your other things separate from the camera section. Lp backpacks are cheaper off eBay but take up to a month to ship unless you choose express.

Instead of bringing the grip, how about just carrying extra batteries to switch out? Not sure there's much use for the 70-200 considering extra weight as you said, seems to be more a landscape opportunity. I'd bring a your 24-105, 17-40, CPL and maybe 2ND, maybe travel tripod for longer exposures. I see a few Google links on photography recommendations for that region.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5149 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
jadearizona wrote: Hello...I have done the 3 days trk to machu picchu, and went on to do HP as well once I got to MP. I can tell you now that the only lens you will need thru your trek is the 18-55mm lens. You don't need to lump all your other lens around. Get a light tripod to go in your backpack. For your DSLR, I suggest getting a hip back similar to the one below which is what I had, which can be configured in any way convenient for you.

You want quick access to your camera, and not having to fiddle with your backpack which should contain your change of clothes, snacks, toileteries, and water bottle in the side pockets
That actually seems like a good idea. I wouldn't mind having the bag in easy reach and it seems like the dSLR bags have a few trade offs with that (less space mostly). I have this Lowepro bag that has straps on the back that seem like it could just have another clip to attach it around your waist (where the monopod is meant to be stored):

http://www.amazon.ca/Lowepro-Adventura- ... entura+170

Not sure how well that would work, but if not, hopefully the Lowepro bags you posted will fit my setup.

AncasterRFD wrote: Lowepro Fastpack 250 or 350 has a top compartment to carry clothes and your other things separate from the camera section. Lp backpacks are cheaper off eBay but take up to a month to ship unless you choose express.

Instead of bringing the grip, how about just carrying extra batteries to switch out? Not sure there's much use for the 70-200 considering extra weight as you said, seems to be more a landscape opportunity. I'd bring a your 24-105, 17-40, CPL and maybe 2ND, maybe travel tripod for longer exposures. I see a few Google links on photography recommendations for that region.
The LP 250/350 look interesting, I wonder how much padding is on the bottom of the backpack for the dSLR. I agree with your comments on the grip and 70-200, I just kind of like having the more substantial feel and not having to worry about switching batteries (although I will be carrying spares as well). But, definitely, that grip will be taking up space/weight that can be easily replaced.

I have a Manfrotto 190Xprob that might be overkill for this journey, but I was hoping I could get by without a tripod/monopod and with just the great low light performance of the 6D and leaning/resting the camera against stuff (also a good use for the battery grip to take that abuse, haha) or using the trekking poles to stabilise it. If all else, I guess I can just buy a cheap $20 tripod or take my monopod.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1897 posts
557 upvotes
North York
Look into Mindshift or F-Stop.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5149 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
thericyip wrote: Look into Mindshift or F-Stop.
I was looking at F-Stop but not sure I can get the one I was looking at within the next month (F-Stop AJNA). I'll check out the Mindshift bags though.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3849 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
I think it'll be best to get a hiking bag for all your needs then get a padded bag to put in your camera. You can always get something like a peak design clip to carry your camera outside and just stick a lense in the hiking bag.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Re-thinking this, I like Jade and Moon's idea of a separate bag.

I briefly read in a blog an area there where they only allowed small daypacks under 20L and little tripods, you had to leave your big hiking backpack (secured at the entrance?)... anyways you might want to confirm.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5149 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
AncasterRFD wrote: Re-thinking this, I like Jade and Moon's idea of a separate bag.

I briefly read in a blog an area there where they only allowed small daypacks under 20L and little tripods, you had to leave your big hiking backpack (secured at the entrance?)... anyways you might want to confirm.
I think that is at Machu Picchu. Apparently if your bag isn't full and you don't look like a pro photographer, you won't get hassled. I don't imagine a 6D+BG with a 24-105L will draw much attention but a few lenses, tripod and a huge 70-200 may cause some additional concerns.

Thanks for the input guys, i think the separate bag is probably the way I am going to go. As I am hiring a porter to carry my extra stuff (sleeping bag, clothing at camp), I think I may be okay with my Heys backpack (Camelbak 2L in the laptop sleeve and the basics in the other pockets) and finding a DSLR bag I can holster around my waist or chest.
Dec 3, 2008
548 posts
156 upvotes
I did this trek August. I brought a rebel body + 10-22 + 24-105L +50 1.4 with me in this backpack: http://gregorypacks.com/en/GM396_cfg.html#start=10

The trek was pretty tough for me. Main reason I went and bought an A6000 afterwards! next trip will hopefully be lighter in terms of camera gear.

If i were to do it again I'd bring a smaller day pack because you'll have a porter and its really awkward walking around town with such a big pack. I also didn't bring the pack into Machu Pichu, only small day packs allowed. I actually bought one of the little souvenir backpacks to use for that day.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5149 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
Georgie336 wrote: I did this trek August. I brought a rebel body + 10-22 + 24-105L +50 1.4 with me in this backpack: http://gregorypacks.com/en/GM396_cfg.html#start=10

The trek was pretty tough for me. Main reason I went and bought an A6000 afterwards! next trip will hopefully be lighter in terms of camera gear.

If i were to do it again I'd bring a smaller day pack because you'll have a porter and its really awkward walking around town with such a big pack. I also didn't bring the pack into Machu Pichu, only small day packs allowed. I actually bought one of the little souvenir backpacks to use for that day.
Did you make use of the 50 (on a FF, I think I can get away with skipping the UWA)? I was debating whether to bring a 50mm but I really don't want to eat up any room since the 6D+BG+24-105L is going to come in around 4-5lb. I want to keep the total weight on me to under 10lb.

Did you also do the Inca trail or the Salkantay? I have been having a hard time gauging the difficulty of the Salkantay (guess it would apply to the Inca trail a well); is it difficult mostly because of the thinner oxygen or is the hike on Day 2 comparable to, say, doing the Grouse Grind in Vancouver for 6 hours? As someone who skips leg day any chance I get, I have about ~40 days to condition myself for this (I was thinking I would train with 30lb plates in my backpack to simulate 10lb at altitude).
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
As you know, his 50 is technically an 80 on his rebel, even on your FF, I don't think it replaces a UWA. While you don't have to shoot this way, a UWA for landscapes takes advantage of the distortion when one commonly places foreground interest in close proximity. On the other hand,TobyRec just had a vid where his friend unconventionally used a 100-400 for landscapes but the background interest was far away and he didn't do the typical foreground object in the lower third. Depends how you want to compose and make do with whatever tools you bring.

I imagine if you do bring a 50 prime, it'll help for portraiture as it gets dim, and low light normal perspective shots.
Feb 2, 2008
473 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
I'm also doing the peru trip this summer and did some research as well on a camera bag to match. I ended up going with the lowepro photosport 200 aw:
http://store.lowepro.com/photo-sport-200-aw

If you have porters to help you carry your stuff during your hike, I figure you should be okay with the rather small bag.

Seems small enough to go into macchu picchu with 20 (or 25l?) bag size limit.
Dec 3, 2008
548 posts
156 upvotes
Asad_A203 wrote: Did you make use of the 50 (on a FF, I think I can get away with skipping the UWA)? I was debating whether to bring a 50mm but I really don't want to eat up any room since the 6D+BG+24-105L is going to come in around 4-5lb. I want to keep the total weight on me to under 10lb.

Did you also do the Inca trail or the Salkantay? I have been having a hard time gauging the difficulty of the Salkantay (guess it would apply to the Inca trail a well); is it difficult mostly because of the thinner oxygen or is the hike on Day 2 comparable to, say, doing the Grouse Grind in Vancouver for 6 hours? As someone who skips leg day any chance I get, I have about ~40 days to condition myself for this (I was thinking I would train with 30lb plates in my backpack to simulate 10lb at altitude).
I did the salkantay, I booked it in cusco.

I didn't use the 50 much, Its so small I threw it in the pack anyway but I really only used it when I was walking around town for portraits. The trek was very hard for me, I was out of shape when I went because I had surgery mid-summer. My girlfriend did pretty well but she runs about 2 half-marathons a year and a handful of shorter runs as well as bikes. I've never hiked in the west coast but she did do Black Tusk in BC (in about 9 hours) and she said Salkantay was more difficult. I had trouble with catching my breath, above 4k elevation (meters) so I'd say if you were to train just do tons of cardio. I lift a lot of weights and do olympic style training but i've decided to switch my routine and include a lot more cardio (planning to do Everest base camp next spring). I had more trouble with breathing than I did with my legs if that helps

I would also skip the battery grip. I left mine at home to save space and weight. I just brought extra batteries to switch out when I needed to. I think 10LB will work well, I carried way too much on me as this was my first real trek. Learned my lesson for next time!

The leaders in my group were the runners- The losers (myself included) were the bodybuilders and people who were just unfit.

On our trip we spent a day in cusco, another in puno and a third day was spent touring the sacred valley before we left for salkantay.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5149 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
AncasterRFD wrote: As you know, his 50 is technically an 80 on his rebel, even on your FF, I don't think it replaces a UWA. While you don't have to shoot this way, a UWA for landscapes takes advantage of the distortion when one commonly places foreground interest in close proximity. On the other hand,TobyRec just had a vid where his friend unconventionally used a 100-400 for landscapes but the background interest was far away and he didn't do the typical foreground object in the lower third. Depends how you want to compose and make do with whatever tools you bring.

I imagine if you do bring a 50 prime, it'll help for portraiture as it gets dim, and low light normal perspective shots.
Yeah, sorry if my post was unclear but I wouldn't bring a UWA as my 24-105L is wide enough but it isn't a really fast lens. A 50 prime, even stopped down, would be plenty quicker but not sure if the trek would really expose you to a lot of its use.
Georgie336 wrote: I did the salkantay, I booked it in cusco.

I didn't use the 50 much, Its so small I threw it in the pack anyway but I really only used it when I was walking around town for portraits. The trek was very hard for me, I was out of shape when I went because I had surgery mid-summer. My girlfriend did pretty well but she runs about 2 half-marathons a year and a handful of shorter runs as well as bikes. I've never hiked in the west coast but she did do Black Tusk in BC (in about 9 hours) and she said Salkantay was more difficult. I had trouble with catching my breath, above 4k elevation (meters) so I'd say if you were to train just do tons of cardio. I lift a lot of weights and do olympic style training but i've decided to switch my routine and include a lot more cardio (planning to do Everest base camp next spring). I had more trouble with breathing than I did with my legs if that helps

I would also skip the battery grip. I left mine at home to save space and weight. I just brought extra batteries to switch out when I needed to. I think 10LB will work well, I carried way too much on me as this was my first real trek. Learned my lesson for next time!

The leaders in my group were the runners- The losers (myself included) were the bodybuilders and people who were just unfit.

On our trip we spent a day in cusco, another in puno and a third day was spent touring the sacred valley before we left for salkantay.
Thanks for the input! I am going to spend 4 days getting used to the altitude in Cusco before doing the hike, but as someone who has only lived in Winnipeg/Toronto, I imagine the altitude gain is going to hit me hard (even with diamox). I'll definitely have to ramp up my cardio (as much as I hate running/jogging, lol) during the next month. I was thinking the stair climber three times a week for an hour/session and cycling at max resistance for an hour every day (I average about 30km/h) will hopefully get my respiratory system and legs conditioned for the hike.

Edit: You have the same plan as me, haha, I want to do Everest base camp next summer! What is your current plan for improving cardio? Do you think my routine posted above will be good enough for the Salkantay hike with about a month left?
Dec 3, 2008
548 posts
156 upvotes
Asad_A203 wrote: Yeah, sorry if my post was unclear but I wouldn't bring a UWA as my 24-105L is wide enough but it isn't a really fast lens. A 50 prime, even stopped down, would be plenty quicker but not sure if the trek would really expose you to a lot of its use.

Thanks for the input! I am going to spend 4 days getting used to the altitude in Cusco before doing the hike, but as someone who has only lived in Winnipeg/Toronto, I imagine the altitude gain is going to hit me hard (even with diamox). I'll definitely have to ramp up my cardio (as much as I hate running/jogging, lol) during the next month. I was thinking the stair climber three times a week for an hour/session and cycling at max resistance for an hour every day (I average about 30km/h) will hopefully get my respiratory system and legs conditioned for the hike.

Edit: You have the same plan as me, haha, I want to do Everest base camp next summer! What is your current plan for improving cardio? Do you think my routine posted above will be good enough for the Salkantay hike with about a month left?
No problem! Yeah that sounds sufficient, it sounds like you're in decent shape too so I'm sure you'll do fine.

I've never experienced any real altitude until that trip and it really humbled me thats for sure. I did not have any diamox but someone from my group who was from Denver actually used it, he did pretty well.

Right now I'm forcing myself to run, signed up for some 10k's and an contemplating trying the half-marathon in October. I figure if I force myself to run these events I'll be able to do the EBC trek much easier than the Salkantay.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2235 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
I had my Fuji XP1 with 18mm (28equiv). I had it with the spyder holster which stuck to the backpack waistband.

I had absolutely no regrets using just that on the 4day hike to MP. I actually think if my 5D3 was with me I'd shoot less... Accessibility and weight is key... Not sure if you have the option to go mirrorless but if you do go that route. It also allowed me to use a tabletop tripod vs the CF manfrotto I have.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2235 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
Georgie336 wrote: No problem! Yeah that sounds sufficient, it sounds like you're in decent shape too so I'm sure you'll do fine.

I've never experienced any real altitude until that trip and it really humbled me thats for sure. I did not have any diamox but someone from my group who was from Denver actually used it, he did pretty well.

Right now I'm forcing myself to run, signed up for some 10k's and an contemplating trying the half-marathon in October. I figure if I force myself to run these events I'll be able to do the EBC trek much easier than the Salkantay.

Whoa we did the hike a day after we arrived. Didn't really feel any altitude sickness at all. Our group was fine.

From what I hear though even being active doesn't help the altitude although it would help with the physical activity of carrying a bag and walking. I was in pretty good shape though so maybe that did help?