Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
NCIX

TRENDnet 500MBPS Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter Kit $34.99

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 25th, 2014 5:54 pm
Tags:
Jul 29, 2013
494 posts
181 upvotes

[NCIX] TRENDnet 500MBPS Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter Kit $34.99

Hey all ..

I last posted a thread that NCIX had going for $24.99 for the TRENDnet 200MBPS Powerline AV nano ... those work great and are what I use, and the thread helped a ton of people out..

Just noticed the 500MBPS (much faster) Powerline AV adapter kit is on sale now for $34.99!

200MBPS Thread: ncix-trendnet-powerline-200-av-nano-24- ... st18508169
46 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2996 posts
601 upvotes
Burnaby
good to know
MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM; AMD Ryzen 5 3600; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB + 16GB; WD Black SN770 1TB;
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2011
1447 posts
721 upvotes
Toronto
I use the Western Digital powerline units at home. No complaints. Works well.
Way better than running wires everywhere.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
I have this kit. It's pretty good. But bear in mind that you're never going to get more than 100 mbps with it, ever, period, because it only has 100mbit ports in it (source). I think the max I've seen is roughly 50mbps (via direct ethernet connection), but that's to my crappy network HDD that gets horrible speeds any way. Totally fine for internet connectivity, or if you don't need crazy crazy high speeds, but just something to keep in mind.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2005
2951 posts
141 upvotes
BC
I used to have a couple of the earlier Trendnet devices and they'd flake out every couple weeks. Ended up grabbing a box of CAT6 from monoprice ($80) and ran my own cable through my attic down to TV and bedroom. Full gigabit is nice if you know how to run cable. My inlaws have a set of these 500mbps units and no complaints so far.
Sep 3, 2009
61 posts
31 upvotes
Mississauga
wearysky wrote: I have this kit. It's pretty good. But bear in mind that you're never going to get more than 100 mbps with it, ever, period, because it only has 100mbit ports in it (source). I think the max I've seen is roughly 50mbps (via direct ethernet connection), but that's to my crappy network HDD that gets horrible speeds any way. Totally fine for internet connectivity, or if you don't need crazy crazy high speeds, but just something to keep in mind.
I don't know about the Trendnet, but my WDTV Livewire, rated at 200Mb, peaks out at about 125Mb, and is normally closer to about 105Mb. After six months, it then dropped to 65Mb for no reason I could tell; I switched it to another outlet, and it went back to 100Mb. The moral of the story is that the speed is a lot more dependent on the power line than on the adapter.

At 100Mb, I can watch 720p MKV videos, without problem, but 1080p is problematic, depending on the compression.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2006
1817 posts
14 upvotes
It all depends on your wiring.
Kept losing connection with these till i switched to another receptacle.
Problem solved.
ALWAYS CHECK HEAT BEFORE MAKING A DEAL. YOU DONT WANT SOME LOW LIFE SCUM BAG TAKING YOUR CASHO :)
>>Latest Bad Trader : MarcusFoX
WTB/FT/FS<<<<< problem/bad traders :MarcusFoX, nookuwn, mc hammer , Lil Big Mec , mikescool , askimo , , Traian2003 , supers-box390 , hopkins
Dec 8, 2012
987 posts
644 upvotes
Calgary
billdehaan wrote: At 100Mb, I can watch 720p MKV videos, without problem, but 1080p is problematic, depending on the compression.
OMG
you should google what is bitrate and then compare with your bandwidth. Even blu-ray movie has up to 40 mbits. If you watch mkv it's usually around 10 mbits
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2004
1220 posts
138 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Great deal. I own this model. Had it since Dec 2012 when dell made a price error. I'd buy this again in a split second.

For those doubters - this is an amazing set. Changed my streaming experience. I have it running from my top floor to the basement. I use it for xbmc. There is no issue buffering and speeds are great. This device was a lifesaver and I've recommended it at least 4 times since then. If there was any reason or anyone I knew that needed one, I'd buy it for them and explain later why it's awesome.

Happy hunting.
Up and Atom!!!
If my thread or post was helpful, a "thank you" is always nice.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2007
2674 posts
972 upvotes
Montreal
I have the Belkin Powerline AV500, and it solved all my internet issues with a 2.4 Ghz Microwave interference. (no more disconnects while someone is using a microwave!!!). 2 years and still loving it.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
I have many powerline kits, all of them are of the 500mbps variety now. Personally, they are troublesome even though my 80+ year old house has all new wiring... generally I get better results from Wireless N except on the top floor. Ping is far better with wireless but the throughput can be just as sketchy or worse particularly if you have motor loads in the house (and everybody does) like exhaust fans running, dehumidifiers, air conditioners, etc.

I stopped using my powerline adapters for my main floor xbmc box and changed to wireless N on that thing because, while it was fine at playing videos without any issues for whatever reason it was absolutely awful at seeking to the point where I just would not even attempt to FF/RW/Skip forward as each time it would take multiple seconds before things caught up and started playing normally again after the attempt. When I just stuck a wifi mini pcie card in the box and got it on wifi suddenly it was way better.

Of course they are great for other reasons, such as hooking up devices that just don't do wifi at all - I use one just for a corner where I keep my phone base unit and voip crap which has only ethernet as an example.

And yes this exact model is among the ones I use, I also got them from Dell for pretty dirt cheap.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
1873 posts
1204 upvotes
Montreal
A few friends and I have had latency issues with the 500MBps powerline adapter... 2-3ms with jumps to 15+ms randomly, averaging 1/5th of the time. With 200MBps average 3-4ms with no jumps, also better signal with them
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6307 posts
3200 upvotes
Cornwall PE
This D-link 500mbs set works great for me, got it from staples for $50. Had a trendnet 200 mbs set and full blu-ray rips would not play without stuttering my dlink works perfectly. Wifi was sketchy though it was 300 mb 2.4 and a great signal, so it seems from what I see in this thread and my own usage that everyone's experience is going to be different no matter if it's wifi or powerline. As for running cable, anyone can do it but sometimes it's simply not an option for everyone especially apartment dwellers.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15213 posts
1671 upvotes
Markham
been using an older 200mbps version of this kit for a couple years now.... no problems or complaints...
ShadowVlican
Aug 24, 2013
21 posts
65 upvotes
Are these always just plug n play? I have a set of Diamond HP 500AV adapters ands how an Ethernet connection but on my Blu-Ray or PC no internet connection is established. Is there any configuration needed on the routers end?
Nov 26, 2011
191 posts
55 upvotes
SURREY
Showing sale price of $69.99 for me
Jul 29, 2013
494 posts
181 upvotes
bubski27 wrote: Showing sale price of $69.99 for me
Too lazy to ss, but just checked and it works for me..

Our Price: $34.99 CAD
Savings Code 80858-1320. SAVE $55.00 off our regular price of $89.99 if you buy today! Special price ends 04/23/2014.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3949 posts
3570 upvotes
Markham
One thing worth sharing.

Powerline AV Adapters from different brands all come with the same default network name "HomePlugAV".
This is to ensure different brand Powerline AV adapters can communicate with each other by default.

Interference with your neighbor will likely happens if they also use powerline AV adapters. For example, your adapter may talk to your neighbor's adapter which is connected to your neighbor's router. You may inadvertently go online using someone else router. Likewise, your neighbor may also inadvertently go online using your router.

This happened to me in the past. Using a Powerline AV adapter connected to my PC , I can get to the login page of my neighbor's router by keying in the commonly used router ip address 192.168.0.1

In the end, I used the Trendnet utility software supplied with the adapters to create a unique network name for all my adapters. Once this security measure is taken, all my adapters can only talk to each other and no more talking to my neighbor's adapters (and hence his router).

Please be aware of the above pitfall of just using the default network name "HomePlugAV" which is loaded to the adapters of different brands before leaving factory.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
billdehaan wrote: I don't know about the Trendnet, but my WDTV Livewire, rated at 200Mb, peaks out at about 125Mb, and is normally closer to about 105Mb. After six months, it then dropped to 65Mb for no reason I could tell; I switched it to another outlet, and it went back to 100Mb. The moral of the story is that the speed is a lot more dependent on the power line than on the adapter.

At 100Mb, I can watch 720p MKV videos, without problem, but 1080p is problematic, depending on the compression.
These Trendnet ones absolutely will not go above 100 mbps (it's physically impossible, based on the components), but that's fine for my needs. I got them at a good price, cheaper than the AV200 ones were going for at the time. I'm able to stream 1080p content from my NAS to my XBMC box without a hiccup. No buffering, no streaming. I just mentioned it so that people were aware that despite these being AV500 devices, they really do max out at 100 mbps.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)