Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
NCIX

TRENDnet TEG-S80G 8 port Gigabit Switch $26 F/S

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 29th, 2015 6:27 pm
Tags:
20 replies
Mar 7, 2011
156 posts
69 upvotes
Not a terrible deal for those wanting a metal case and need it now (very good product BTW). These are regularly on sale at Dell as well. If you're okay with a plastic casing these can be had for as low as 15.99 at Dell multiple times a year.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2004
2057 posts
478 upvotes
Burlington
In the Last week or 2 dell had them for $26 or $29 I forget. I got one.

Cc had a tp with plastic body for $24 a few weeks ago.
Mar 7, 2011
500 posts
117 upvotes
Best to use CAT6 Ethernet cables for a gigabit switch - it will help tremendously with faster file sharing ie media files over wired home network ( server, NAT, main pc )

Keep in mind, a cat 6 cables will not make internet downloads/surfing speeds faster. Only file sharing speeds. I ran cat 6 in my basement before finishing it for this purpose alone.
"You can google me on yahoo.com"
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5582 posts
2441 upvotes
Kudos_Me wrote: Best to use CAT6 Ethernet cables for a gigabit switch - it will help tremendously with faster file sharing ie media files over wired home network ( server, NAT, main pc )

Keep in mind, a cat 6 cables will not make internet downloads/surfing speeds faster. Only file sharing speeds. I ran cat 6 in my basement before finishing it for this purpose alone.
Don't know about that...
Both cat5e and cat6 cable can both run 1g. Cat6 cable is pretty much a scam by cable vendors, the cable was invented to run gig over 2 pair. Since the equipment manufactures decided they wanted to support existing cat5e cable they decided to use all 4 pair. So now the cable manufacture has no market for their cable since it is almost impossible to find equipment that will run gig over 2 pair. They try to hype it up as being faster which technically it is but forget to mention that it does no good when the port in the equipment does not support it and only runs at the cat5e specifications.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/44773 ... cat5-ideas
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3363 posts
3732 upvotes
Toronto
How much bandwidth can this actually handle? No way does it do 8x1000mbit concurrently
Nov 28, 2010
979 posts
176 upvotes
Toronto
lifeisfuneh wrote: Don't know about that...
Both cat5e and cat6 cable can both run 1g. Cat6 cable is pretty much a scam by cable vendors, the cable was invented to run gig over 2 pair. Since the equipment manufactures decided they wanted to support existing cat5e cable they decided to use all 4 pair. So now the cable manufacture has no market for their cable since it is almost impossible to find equipment that will run gig over 2 pair. They try to hype it up as being faster which technically it is but forget to mention that it does no good when the port in the equipment does not support it and only runs at the cat5e specifications.

Cat6 was designed to support 10 Gb infrastructure on distances up to 50m, so your comment about it being scam is irrelevant.
Mar 7, 2011
500 posts
117 upvotes
lifeisfuneh wrote: Don't know about that...

You do know I was referring to file sharing and streaming media content over a wired network at home, right? Not ISP speeds.

I could do speed comparisons and upload them to youtube and this thread for the sake of the argument and solve this endless debate for the ages, thereby, reducing load on the Canadian Power Grid b/c of the nagging war between the anonymous through an unregulated medium called the internet, but........wheres the fun in that?
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2010
1848 posts
1090 upvotes
I would be interested in real world tests for sure, do update the thread when you get around doing this.
Sep 23, 2010
65 posts
28 upvotes
Montreal
Kudos_Me wrote: You do know I was referring to file sharing and streaming media content over a wired network at home, right? Not ISP speeds.

I could do speed comparisons and upload them to youtube and this thread for the sake of the argument and solve this endless debate for the ages, thereby, reducing load on the Canadian Power Grid b/c of the nagging war between the anonymous through an unregulated medium called the internet, but........wheres the fun in that?
Don't need to worry about what type of physical medium you are using, you'll never be able to reach speed write/read on hdd that comes even near 1Gbps of the 5e...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5582 posts
2441 upvotes
yp_1 wrote: Cat6 was designed to support 10 Gb infrastructure on distances up to 50m, so your comment about it being scam is irrelevant.
Yeah, good luck reaching those speeds in your house, but feel free to use any cable you want :)
Pull all your existing cat 5 and rewire using cat 6, prop the economy :D
Nov 28, 2010
979 posts
176 upvotes
Toronto
lifeisfuneh wrote: Yeah, good luck reaching those speeds in your house, but feel free to use any cable you want :)
Pull all your existing cat 5 and rewire using cat 6, prop the economy :D
All I want to say, your twist the facts.
It has nothing to do with choice of particular cable to wire my (or your) house.
Grow up, man.
Mar 7, 2011
500 posts
117 upvotes
platonik93 wrote: Don't need to worry about what type of physical medium you are using, you'll never be able to reach speed write/read on hdd that comes even near 1Gbps of the 5e...
I dont think anyone using these cables are expecting those speeds. All theoretical anyways. Don't know why manufacturers dont use real-time speeds instead of 'theoretical if laws of physics didnt interfere' method. Anyways....FWIW, as long as it seems "fast" and faster than the previous older iteration of ethernet cables, thats all that really matters. As far as i could tell, when i did a brief ( i mean really brief ) side by side comparison, cat6 was quicker with transfers. I didnt time or pay close attention, just was making sure the new cables worked before the drywall went up.
Oct 2, 2007
966 posts
457 upvotes
Montreal
I'd usually go with a store close by like best buy but because I only pay 5% taxes from ncix, I'll stick with them for this order. ;-) Thanks for the share!
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2009
16955 posts
1538 upvotes
scarberia
damn, 32.75 down the drain! need one ASAP, im running out of ports lol , too many devices now ever since i got my acwifi router and 250u rogers internet, need to max out that connection

too bad BB has no ISPU, its online orders only
i5 2500k PC RIP | Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSD | Samsung 840 Pro 256 gb SSD | Eco Coolit hybrid | MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) | 16 gb DDR3 RAM | GeForce GTS 450 x 2 SLI | Antec TP 650W modular | Antec 300 case | ACER H236HL IPS | DIR-880L AC router | Buffalo LS421DE NAS | Windows 8.1 Pro

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)