Off Topic

It was a trial about whether and how, on a remote farm in Saskatchewan, a gun malfunctioned on Aug. 9, 2016.

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2018 11:39 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
30380 posts
7493 upvotes
GTHA

It was a trial about whether and how, on a remote farm in Saskatchewan, a gun malfunctioned on Aug. 9, 2016.

The Stanley verdict: Manslaughter and ‘hang fire’
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion ... e37932338/

imho, the jury could have found Mr. Stanley guilty of manslaughter due to careless use of his handgun

Burge argued Stanley handled the firearm carelessly because he didn’t know how many bullets he loaded into the gun or how many shots he fired, and because he held a loaded gun close to three people in a vehicle in an unsafe manner. Burge also said Stanley wasn’t aware of the safety measures of his own gun, a gun he owned for four years, because he thought removing the magazine would disarm the gun — which isn’t the case.
from https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/not-guilty ... -1.3797032

In his charge to the jury, Chief Justice Martel Popescul included instruction on the difference between manslaughter and murder and gave them three options: not guilty, not guilty of second degree murder but guilty of manslaughter, and guilty of second degree murder.
from http://www.newsoptimist.ca/news/local-n ... 1.23168999
270 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
29539 posts
4962 upvotes
Ottawa
This is a tough one.
"the jury had to feel the Crown proved beyond a reasonable doubt Stanley used a gun in a careless manner and had no lawful excuse for his use of the weapon."
Racism? Would there be this outrage if the circumstances were identical and it was a White person? A Brown? A Black?
Selection of a jury is as critical and important as the trial itself. Selection cannot be inclusive if the jurors are not deemed impartial. Accusing this jury of being prejudiced against indigenous is not only unfair, it is being racist itself. Asking the justice minister to change the laws and regulations is also racist. The laws and processes apply to all in Canada, to ask for special considerations for a race is, and should be, unacceptable.
The law is equal. There will always be some that will not like the outcome but, the application of that law is the same. If we do not like the outcome, then the law itself should change, not how or by whom it is adjudicated.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8267 posts
1795 upvotes
Trump University
Pete_Coach wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 8:05 am
This is a tough one.
"the jury had to feel the Crown proved beyond a reasonable doubt Stanley used a gun in a careless manner and had no lawful excuse for his use of the weapon."
Racism? Would there be this outrage if the circumstances were identical and it was a White person? A Brown? A Black?
Selection of a jury is as critical and important as the trial itself. Selection cannot be inclusive if the jurors are not deemed impartial. Accusing this jury of being prejudiced against indigenous is not only unfair, it is being racist itself. Asking the justice minister to change the laws and regulations is also racist. The laws and processes apply to all in Canada, to ask for special considerations for a race is, and should be, unacceptable.
The law is equal. There will always be some that will not like the outcome but, the application of that law is the same. If we do not like the outcome, then the law itself should change, not how or by whom it is adjudicated.
From my experience growing up I'm pretty sure he thought to himself "oh no here comes the drunk Indian!"

its pretty much unavoidable hearing it at least when I was growing up
😎
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
38045 posts
3027 upvotes
Toronto
Im assuming these were all legally registered guns since no charges related to firearms.

By law all licensed gun owners have to take an exam.
The main component is safe and proper use of all gun types.

Knowing that there could still be a round in the chamber is part of it.

The very large majority of people arent trained in the use of firearms for defensive purposes. And even cops get nervous. When that happens the stress causes you to squeeze the trigger. Pretty common phenomenon.
Pretty much don't have your finger on the trigger unless youre ready to shoot.

Accidental discharge is very likely to happen in times of stress.

I mean what do you do when drunk guys crash into your home... whats with the part where a guy sat on an atv... turned it on. That sounds super shady!
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
29539 posts
4962 upvotes
Ottawa
Corleone187 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 8:31 am
From my experience growing up I'm pretty sure he thought to himself "oh no here comes the drunk Indian!"

its pretty much unavoidable hearing it at least when I was growing up
From my experience, a statement like yours perpetuates the problem.
I think that the circumstances leading up to the shooting and the investigation afterwards proved what had taken place and why,
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8267 posts
1795 upvotes
Trump University
Pete_Coach wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 8:37 am
From my experience, a statement like yours perpetuates the problem.
I think that the circumstances leading up to the shooting and the investigation afterwards proved what had taken place and why,
How? Everyone kinda acknowledges it, even gov. Look at the liquor laws
😎
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
29539 posts
4962 upvotes
Ottawa
Corleone187 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 8:47 am
How? Everyone kinda acknowledges it, even gov. Look at the liquor laws
Acknowledges what?
Liquor laws? Elaborate......
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
30380 posts
7493 upvotes
GTHA
UrbanPoet wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 8:32 am
Im assuming these were all legally registered guns since no charges related to firearms.

By law all licensed gun owners have to take an exam.
The main component is safe and proper use of all gun types.

Knowing that there could still be a round in the chamber is part of it.

The very large majority of people arent trained in the use of firearms for defensive purposes. And even cops get nervous. When that happens the stress causes you to squeeze the trigger. Pretty common phenomenon.
Pretty much don't have your finger on the trigger unless youre ready to shoot.

Accidental discharge is very likely to happen in times of stress.

I mean what do you do when drunk guys crash into your home... whats with the part where a guy sat on an atv... turned it on. That sounds super shady!
Mr. Stanley testified his finger wasn’t on the trigger. Could the gun go off 7 to 8 seconds after the trigger was pulled?

from https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/stanley-sa ... -1.3788046

• He tells court he removed the gun’s magazine after firing the warning shots. The gun, in his right hand, fired when he reached into the SUV to turn off the vehicle with his left hand, he says.
  • “It just went off,” court hears.
  • He claims his finger wasn’t on the trigger.
  • Crown prosecutor Bill Burge then cross-examines Stanley, asking how many guns were in the home and about Stanley’s knowledge of gun handling.
  • “Did you learn not to point a gun at somebody?” Burge asks.
  • “Did you learn that if you pull a trigger that doesn’t go off you better treat this gun as something dangerous that might go off?”
  • He also asks Stanley if he normally knows how many shells he loads into a clip.
  • Stanley replies he does on most days but now knows he was mistaken when he thought he loaded two bullets the day Boushie was shot.h
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8267 posts
1795 upvotes
Trump University
Pete_Coach wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 8:52 am
Acknowledges what?
Liquor laws? Elaborate......
You're telling me when u think of indigenous people you don't think of 'drunk indian'? Who are you trying to fool? You're not that sheltered are you? :D

Why do u think this vodka is $600/bottle in this community?

😎
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
29539 posts
4962 upvotes
Ottawa
Corleone187 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 8:58 am
You're telling me when u think of indigenous people you don't think of 'drunk indian'? Who are you trying to fool? You're not that sheltered are you? :D

You know, you are accusing me of something and you do not know me nor my background. You are making an assumption and you know what they say about a person that assumes?
Liquor Laws? Your link is not law. As for $600 for a bottle of vodka...who is charging that? Not the government. Perhaps it is the store they buy from? The local bootlegger? The shipper? The community? Many communities up North have declared themselves dry and getting a bottle of vodka in will not only cost a fortune but be illegal. As your link indicates...the village is in prohibition, hence, it is illegal and cost is whatever someone is willing to pay. You should be asking yourself...way up there, where do the people get the $600 for the vodka?
Northern villages and communities also pay $28 or more for grapes ..$25 for a dozen eggs, or $30 for bacon. Again, you are making an assumption that it is this way for all. Since you like Vice...here https://news.vice.com/article/food-pric ... ern-canada
I have spent many years traveling the North and know what it costs up there.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8267 posts
1795 upvotes
Trump University
Pete_Coach wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 9:21 am
You know, you are accusing me of something and you do not know me nor my background. You are making an assumption and you know what they say about a person that assumes?
Liquor Laws? Your link is not law. As for $600 for a bottle of vodka...who is charging that? Not the government. Perhaps it is the store they buy from? The local bootlegger? The shipper? The community? Many communities up North have declared themselves dry and getting a bottle of vodka in will not only cost a fortune but be illegal. As your link indicates...the village is in prohibition, hence, it is illegal and cost is whatever someone is willing to pay. You should be asking yourself...way up there, where do the people get the $600 for the vodka?
Northern villages and communities also pay $28 or more for grapes ..$25 for a dozen eggs, or $30 for bacon. Again, you are making an assumption that it is this way for all. Since you like Vice...here https://news.vice.com/article/food-pric ... ern-canada
I have spent many years traveling the North and know what it costs up there.
You don't even know what you're talking about with the fake outrage :D

So let me not assume. Let me ask YOU and you give me your answer. You never thought about drunk indian when you think about indigenous people? :D

Anyways your PPP from Ottawa is nothing compared to someone who lives up north. Same currency but they get a bit more
Last edited by Corleone187 on Feb 12th, 2018 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
😎
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
3178 posts
351 upvotes
Ottawa
I think it's unfortunate that the activity of:

a) Driving drunk
b) Trespassing onto private properties
c) Stealing from said properties
d) Doing the above when armed with a rifle

is considered "normal" and that the thing that political leaders are most concerned about is that one of tbe landowners *may* have been careless with a weapon.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2012
3364 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
Corleone187 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 8:58 am

Sounds to me like you hold some deeply racist views about Indians and want to make yourself feel good about them by projecting those views onto others.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8267 posts
1795 upvotes
Trump University
silky28 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 9:37 am
Sounds to me like you hold some deeply racist views about Indians and want to make yourself feel good about them by projecting those views onto others.
Did you even watch the video? List the racist views you're talking about and I'll give you a direct link in the video timeline where they talk about it
😎
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
29539 posts
4962 upvotes
Ottawa
Corleone187 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 9:34 am
You don't even know what you're talking about with the fake outrage :D

So let me not assume. Let me ask YOU and you give me your answer. You never thought about drunk indian when you think about indigenous people? :D

Anyways your PPP from Ottawa is nothing compared to someone who lives up north. Same currency but they get a bit more
Outrage? What outrage, especially fake? Assumptions say more about you than me so don't assume about me. I have sen drunken indigenous, and drunken blacks, and drunken whites, and drunks of all races...one drunk is not very different than another...I have even seen me drunk. I do not defend indigenous rights but I do not blanket them as drunks or addicts.
I have lived all over this country. I worked in Search and Rescue and spent considerable time in the Arctic. You gotta get out of Toronto more often.