Off Topic

It was a trial about whether and how, on a remote farm in Saskatchewan, a gun malfunctioned on Aug. 9, 2016.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2018 1:51 pm
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9117 posts
1766 upvotes
shikotee wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 12:08 pm
How do the grown adults not know about consequences?
Your perceptions are cartoonish, and based on fantasies.
then if they knew they could be shot/killed/arrested/injured, they took that risk that night. whats so hard to understand about this?

if I rob a bank, I may make it out with the cash, I may get killed, I may get arrested?
if I drive drunk, I might make it hope, I might kill someone, I might crash?

poor choices, by adults with a history of poor choices, and now one of them is dead and we are supposed to feel bad about this?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2005
4828 posts
566 upvotes
rcmpvet wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 11:51 am
Interesting question Pete - I hope to get some time to research case law (there is a lot). That said the applicable section and permit documentation clearly states at the dwelling house:

17 Subject to sections 19 and 20, a prohibited firearm or restricted firearm, the holder of the registration certificate for which is an individual, may be possessed only at the dwelling-house of the individual, as recorded in the Canadian Firearms Registry, or at a place authorized by a chief firearms officer.
While this section pertains to individuals possessing restricted firearms its not entirely true as there are exceptions to that where individuals are permitted to carry restricted weapons as it relates to their line of work and personal safety.
Jan 30, 2010
537 posts
205 upvotes
North Battleford
It should also be noted that Mr. Stanley 1st confronted the individuals unarmed. Instead of them leaving they intentionally drove into one of the Stanley's parked cars.
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 9:35 am
I think it's unfortunate that the activity of:

a) Driving drunk
b) Trespassing onto private properties
c) Stealing from said properties
d) Doing the above when armed with a rifle

is considered "normal" and that the thing that political leaders are most concerned about is that one of tbe landowners *may* have been careless with a weapon.
Penalty Box
Mar 20, 2009
1285 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
rocking23nf wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 12:17 pm
then if they knew they could be shot/killed/arrested/injured, they took that risk that night. whats so hard to understand about this?

if I rob a bank, I may make it out with the cash, I may get killed, I may get arrested?
if I drive drunk, I might make it hope, I might kill someone, I might crash?

poor choices, by adults with a history of poor choices, and now one of them is dead and we are supposed to feel bad about this?
I think engaging with you on this has been a poor choice on my end.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6180 posts
1342 upvotes
ya'll need to go read MTommy's reddit link.
The last 5 chiefs of Red Pheasant have been Larry Wuttunee, Stewart Baptiste, Charles Meechance, Sheldon Wuttunee, Clint Wuttunee.

Here are the people in the car:

Kiora Wuttunee-Campbell, daughter of Sheldon Wuttunee.

Eric Meechance, son or nephew of Charles Meechance

Colton Boushie, nephew of Stewart Baptiste

Cassidy Cross AKA Cassidy Cross-Whitestone, Aka Cassidy Wuttunee-Whitstone - Original reporting has him as Cassidy Wuttunee, and initial reporting had one of Clint's kids in the car. People assumed it was Kiora, but it's actually probably Cassidy

Belinda Jackson - seems to be no one.

Each chief mentioned, besides Larry, has been indicted a ton of times. Some of these charges may sound familiar; drunk driving leading to a suspended license, drunk driving on a suspended license, assault, poaching, fraud, and every single one of them has been indicted for corruption while in office, and booted from their position. Except Clint, Clint is currently being indicted for corruption. There are two chiefs mentioned who are literally in court right now heh. In fact, if you google each chief's name, you can see their kids frequently have warrants issued for assault, armed robbery, and rape.
This is bullshit. These young adults are thugs and they've been getting away for a long time.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6180 posts
1342 upvotes
zoso454 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 12:38 pm
Yep and colten boushies uncle murdered 2 white farmers on the same road that Gerald Stanley lives on back in the 1990's
https://www.producer.com/1994/11/murder ... -in-court/
Well then it's no surprise that someone could consider drunken armed intruders that damage property (or neighbor's property) to be a threat to one's life and family. Seems like this community disease has been festering for a while.

These people want to cry about justice, about legal proceedings? F you. Go rape and burgle some more, the lot of you.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
4425 posts
777 upvotes
This case is disturbing in multiple ways:

-The media portrays Stanley as the bad guy when there is insufficient evidence. From the facts I am reading, these kids trespassed on his property, were drunk, and had a gun. Enough said...

-Native leaders and even our PM thinks the rule of law don't mean anything by saying this is "injustice". I don't see how the rule of law failed.

-Picking jurors based on race is even MORE racist and will lead to more problems. How anyone can even make a case for how jurors should have some aboriginals is appalling. Are we saying ALL whites are racist against natives? This statement is even worse.

-People should be proven innocent until proven guilty. The kids changed their stories multiple times....what more needs to be said? If there's beyond reasonable doubt, Stanley should rightfully be acquitted of murder. At most it should be involuntary manslaughter and from what I was reading, such an option DID exist. So I don't see how the justice system failed.

-The justice system WILL FAIL if people keep thinking public outrage should influence a verdict arrived at by proper legal procedures.

-The native people have loud voices. Just because they are loud, doesn't mean they are right. Just because you are upset, doesn't mean you are right. I don't think they can keep saying things like "the Europeans took our land...". So what? Does this give every native person the right to trespass because the land was originally theirs? Geez!!!! Enough of identity politics and this SJW crap.
Jan 30, 2010
537 posts
205 upvotes
North Battleford
Mr. Stanley even mentioned the previous murders of the 2 farmers in his testimony
"The other thing he was thinking of while walking, Stanley testified, was of another incident along the same road around the same time they had moved there 30 years ago, in which two farmers had been murdered"
http://www.newsoptimist.ca/news/local-n ... 1.23165316
peanutz wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 12:43 pm
Well then it's no surprise that someone could consider drunken armed intruders that damage property (or neighbor's property) to be a threat to one's life and family. Seems like this community disease has been festering for a while.

These people want to cry about justice, about legal proceedings? F you. Go rape and burgle some more, the lot of you.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1394 posts
713 upvotes
Somewhere, ON
162 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 12:19 pm
While this section pertains to individuals possessing restricted firearms its not entirely true as there are exceptions to that where individuals are permitted to carry restricted weapons as it relates to their line of work and personal safety.
I am fully aware of all that and the letter of the law. There are also "blanket" permits whereby an individual can transport a RF between home and "any" approved range, without having to specifically have a range listed on the permit.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
Jan 30, 2010
537 posts
205 upvotes
North Battleford
rcmpvet wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 1:30 pm
I am fully aware of all that and the letter of the law. There are also "blanket" permits whereby an individual can transport a RF between home and "any" approved range, without having to specifically have a range listed on the permit.
He still faces 2 charges for unsafe storage of firearms.
http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local-ne ... next-month
Oct 23, 2017
425 posts
191 upvotes
GTA West
Corleone187 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 8:31 am
From my experience growing up I'm pretty sure he thought to himself "oh no here comes the drunk Indian!"

its pretty much unavoidable hearing it at least when I was growing up
It is still a reality today. One of my good friends lives in a small rural village on a lake in SK, adjacent to a reserve. I have heard so many stories of them finding drunks lying in their vomit on their lawn, or in their vehicles.

My friend's wife who is a city girl called the RCMP a couple of times when they first relocated, until they explained to her not to bother - nobody gets prosecuted and the callouts are a waste of their time. So villagers either ignore the problem or deal with incidents themselves. Normally the native people are not armed or a big threat - just partying because they got their cheques.

Theft is another, more serious matter - my friend has had 8 break-in attempts in less than 3 years, his ATV and truck being the prime targets. This usually involves juveniles who do the entry while the adults who bring them wait outside of town. They know there is no effective prosecution of young offenders. So he has had to secure his property in various ways.
Last edited by Dealmaker1945 on Feb 12th, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Dec 20, 2017
23 posts
There are obviously varying opinions to what should have happened. I think that this has shed light on race relations in Saskatchewan/Canada. If we take the results of the case out of it, agree or disagree, there have been some very troubling comments to the facebook posts, on the new reports. There is an extreme amount of racism present. I think that we, as a society, need to work on that.

Again, I am not talking about comments relating to the case directly.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
28889 posts
2114 upvotes
Winnipeg
UrbanPoet wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 11:48 am
An accidental discharge is possible with a defective gun and/or some sort of impact. Like dropping a loaded gun.
Sometimes a cartridge can go off by itself. I forgot the technical term... but its when the trigger is pulled. the primer hits and the powder has a delayed reaction. Thats why they teach if you pull the trigger and nothing happens... you point it in a safe direction like down range.

Also... even trained cops and people in the military get tunnel vision/stressed in a dangerous situation. The difference is the pro's have training and let that knowledge kick in/concentrentrate. Its quite possible he didnt even know he pulled the trigger. The proper finger off the trigger is just sticking your index finger outwards. A nervous or stressed reaction can cause fist to clench.
i only read the first part of the article but it seems there is a random intruder who smashed his SUV windshield, which warranted defensive action. a trespasser displaying aggressive action requires aggressive response.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
31809 posts
8170 upvotes
GTHA
divx wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 2:10 pm
i only read the first part of the article but it seems there is a random intruder who smashed his SUV windshield, which warranted defensive action. a trespasser displaying aggressive action requires aggressive response.
Gerald Stanley’s son, Sheldon, testified he and his father ran toward the SUV after hearing someone start the quad. Sheldon, who was carrying a tool belt, used a hammer to smash the vehicle’s windshield when it was trying to drive away. Stanley kicked the taillight.