Off Topic

It was a trial about whether and how, on a remote farm in Saskatchewan, a gun malfunctioned on Aug. 9, 2016.

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2018 11:39 am
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2228 posts
1132 upvotes
Montreal
Poutinesauce wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 10:23 am
It would be much simpler if we had the castle doctrine. If you trespass on a property where you have no business to be, the home owner should have every right to protect himself.
We have duty to retreat instead, robbers coming in the front door, you are suppose to run out the back to let them do their thing.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2228 posts
1132 upvotes
Montreal
peanutz wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 12:29 pm
ya'll need to go read MTommy's reddit link.

he last 5 chiefs of Red Pheasant have been Larry Wuttunee, Stewart Baptiste, Charles Meechance, Sheldon Wuttunee, Clint Wuttunee.

Here are the people in the car:

Kiora Wuttunee-Campbell, daughter of Sheldon Wuttunee.

Eric Meechance, son or nephew of Charles Meechance

Colton Boushie, nephew of Stewart Baptiste

Cassidy Cross AKA Cassidy Cross-Whitestone, Aka Cassidy Wuttunee-Whitstone - Original reporting has him as Cassidy Wuttunee, and initial reporting had one of Clint's kids in the car. People assumed it was Kiora, but it's actually probably Cassidy

Belinda Jackson - seems to be no one.

Each chief mentioned, besides Larry, has been indicted a ton of times. Some of these charges may sound familiar; drunk driving leading to a suspended license, drunk driving on a suspended license, assault, poaching, fraud, and every single one of them has been indicted for corruption while in office, and booted from their position. Except Clint, Clint is currently being indicted for corruption. There are two chiefs mentioned who are literally in court right now heh. In fact, if you google each chief's name, you can see their kids frequently have warrants issued for assault, armed robbery, and rape.

This is bullshit. These young adults are thugs and they've been getting away for a long time.
Wow, the best TV drama writers couldn't come up with storyline this twisted.
Banned
Dec 20, 2017
23 posts
I don't get this thinking. who cares what his family has done, my dad in was an alcoholic, I should not be judged by that and neither should these kids. In my opinion that irrelevant.

The tweet that was posted earlier, are song lyrics.... not sure what they have to do with anything.

From what I have heard Colten was passed out in the back seat, woke when he heard the commotion tried to crawl over the seat to drive away, and was shot.

I am not sure if this was race fueled or not. I may have been, but do not know. What I do know is that the prosecution seems to have dropped the ball on this. It appears that the wrong charge may have been filled...

There were several mistakes made. They need to be fixed. I am not sure if that would have affected the outcome or not, but they need to be fixed.

As far as racism is concerned, if you take that the case was tried and the findings are 100% on the up and up. The comments that have been posted everywhere on social media, are very racist.

I think this case has brought to light racial tensions, because of those comments, and we as a society need to do a better job. I also think that there are many questions to why certain things happened in this trial, such as all white jury, ect, that should be examined and changed if there are findings that support any kind of issue.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
16708 posts
1925 upvotes
Langley
konfusion666 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 1:31 pm
I'm not going to read the last 7 pages of this thread. However, I will say that the media is doing a fine job hiding the fact that Colten Boushie was waving around a frickin' .22 CALIBRE HUNTING RIFLE while he was going on his carjacking/car theft/ATV theft spree on PRIVATE PROPERTY.

If it's ok to do that, as long as you belong to a certain ethnic group (First Nations) then I'll have to rethink my future in this country, as well as my history of voting for the Federal Liberal Party.
Well, I could be wrong, but I don't think he was waving it around. Stanley testified that he didn't even see it. So it would have no bearing on the case.
Last edited by i6s1 on Feb 14th, 2018 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
38036 posts
3022 upvotes
Toronto
howdy1978 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 5:29 pm
I don't get this thinking. who cares what his family has done, my dad in was an alcoholic, I should not be judged by that and neither should these kids. In my opinion that irrelevant.

The tweet that was posted earlier, are song lyrics.... not sure what they have to do with anything.

From what I have heard Colten was passed out in the back seat, woke when he heard the commotion tried to crawl over the seat to drive away, and was shot.

I am not sure if this was race fueled or not. I may have been, but do not know. What I do know is that the prosecution seems to have dropped the ball on this. It appears that the wrong charge may have been filled...

There were several mistakes made. They need to be fixed. I am not sure if that would have affected the outcome or not, but they need to be fixed.

As far as racism is concerned, if you take that the case was tried and the findings are 100% on the up and up. The comments that have been posted everywhere on social media, are very racist.

I think this case has brought to light racial tensions, because of those comments, and we as a society need to do a better job. I also think that there are many questions to why certain things happened in this trial, such as all white jury, ect, that should be examined and changed if there are findings that support any kind of issue.
I think the white guy is innoccent... tragic accident and maybe light sentence like house arrest or probation.
But he isnt a killer. Im not even mad that he walks free bc it really looked like self defence + tragic accident..

But its not the same. Sure your dad was an alcoholic... but has your entire race been raped, killed and humiliated? Is your entire raced looked at like they are the scum of society, utterly useless and nothing drug addicted welfare eating drunks?

Probably not... its a different story. Having that burden really does hamper your ability in life. Even the rich successful educated black guys get pulled over and hated on...

White guy gets mad and yells... he's Just a jerk or had a bad day.
Black guy gets mad and yells... he's a scary violent black guy.
Native guy does it... he is a drunken crazy indian.

Of course... there are different dynamics of race and poverty. I'm not saying white people don't suffer it. Bc poverty/mental illness/bad behavior can easilybe passed down and is generational for some white communities, and is also a pressing issue.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
16708 posts
1925 upvotes
Langley
Dpack22 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 1:04 pm
I've been informed by my very liberal friends that having this view is both racist and I'm basically part of the KKK for agreeing with the jury.
The NDP thinks so.

Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
6528 posts
239 upvotes
The more they point it out the more people donate.

Stanley's gofundme is going to top $200k today or tomorrow.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
1507 posts
664 upvotes
hugh_da_man wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 8:25 pm
The more they point it out the more people donate.

Stanley's gofundme is going to top $200k today or tomorrow.
Serves them right.lol.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2003
4070 posts
102 upvotes
Tahsis
jzmtl wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 5:07 pm
We have duty to retreat instead, robbers coming in the front door, you are suppose to run out the back to let them do their thing.
There is no duty to retreat in/from your home.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2228 posts
1132 upvotes
Montreal
rommelrommel wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 10:02 pm
There is no duty to retreat in/from your home.
Not worded as such, but implied by police/prosecution's action. You can win after 3 or 5 years of being raked over burning coal, but your life will be ruined by then.
Dec 25, 2017
462 posts
343 upvotes
Rockwood
Dpack22 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 1:04 pm
I've been informed by my very liberal friends that having this view is both racist and I'm basically part of the KKK for agreeing with the jury.
You need new friends, they sound like they follow the pack.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2012
3356 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
dilligafeh wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 4:36 pm
Does "pleanty" mean I brag about my in-laws gun collection on the internet?
I explained why I called him a dummy but apparently you know better what I was thinking than I. His manipulation theory during a long hangfire is even more far fetched than the one the defense gave.
So now you are misrepresenting two statements in this thread...first the gun experts now mine. I did not say they, my in-laws, owned the guns, I said I own guns. Funny how you protest that I don't know what you were thinking then go on to make some extra textual claim about my gun ownership. I guess what we do, say or write is irrelevant.

As for the issue at hand...what is the recommended time to wait to clear a missfire and why?
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
3845 posts
177 upvotes
Mississauga
howdy1978 wrote:
Is it all racism or is some of it simply frustration and backlash that YET AGAIN the natives are using an incident to further the narrative that evil Canadians are racist and treating them unfairly again regardless of the behavior of Bouchie and his friends that led to that incident? Namely natives expect Canadians to feel sorry that a native person was killed, but REFUSE to acknowledge or discuss all the events prior that led to that death which clearly isn't painting Bouchie and his friends in a good light.

Yeah I can't imagine why Canadians wouldn't get angry over being demonized by natives even after its been shown they're not telling the entire story. I can't imagine why Canadians wouldn't feel some resentment that our government is yet again is bending over backwards to say they were wronged and that our justice system is racist towards them.

And again I'll ask if Stanley was a native person instead of a white person, would native people right now be angry that he was acquitted by the courts or would they be jumping for joy that Gerard Stanley the native farmer wasn't found guilty? I think we all know the answer to that one.
In your statement, much like many statements that native people have made why is it ALWAYS, ALWAYS 'WE' as in Canadians, the government etc 'have to do better' and yet at no time do they ever say 'THEY' need to do better? Why do you never hear them say anything along the lines of 'While Canada needs to do more to help us, WE ALSO need to do more to HELP OURSELVES and do more to raise our kids right and build better, stronger, safer communities to raise our families in while taking responsibility for the actions of our children.' Anything along those lines would at least acknowledge that they're willing to take some responsibility for all the problems they have and yet that has rarely if ever happened. IE Its always 100% Canada's fault, 0% native fault.
Toronto sports teams..............forever cursed. Profound sadness. :(
Banned
Dec 20, 2017
23 posts
MaximDude wrote:
Feb 15th, 2018 12:28 am
Is it all racism or is some of it simply frustration and backlash that YET AGAIN the natives are using an incident to further the narrative that evil Canadians are racist and treating them unfairly again regardless of the behavior of Bouchie and his friends that led to that incident? Namely natives expect Canadians to feel sorry that a native person was killed, but REFUSE to acknowledge or discuss all the events prior that led to that death which clearly isn't painting Bouchie and his friends in a good light.

Yeah I can't imagine why Canadians wouldn't get angry over being demonized by natives even after its been shown they're not telling the entire story. I can't imagine why Canadians wouldn't feel some resentment that our government is yet again is bending over backwards to say they were wronged and that our justice system is racist towards them.

And again I'll ask if Stanley was a native person instead of a white person, would native people right now be angry that he was acquitted by the courts or would they be jumping for joy that Gerard Stanley the native farmer wasn't found guilty? I think we all know the answer to that one.

In your statement, much like many statements that native people have made why is it ALWAYS, ALWAYS 'WE' as in Canadians, the government etc 'have to do better' and yet at no time do they ever say 'THEY' need to do better? Why do you never hear them say anything along the lines of 'While Canada needs to do more to help us, WE ALSO need to do more to HELP OURSELVES and do more to raise our kids right and build better, stronger, safer communities to raise our families in while taking responsibility for the actions of our children.' Anything along those lines would at least acknowledge that they're willing to take some responsibility for all the problems they have and yet that has rarely if ever happened. IE Its always 100% Canada's fault, 0% native fault.
I have bolded some issues with the statement, that highlight a little bit of what racism may look like. Now in no way am I saying you are racist. I don't know anything about you except what you typed.

First thing I want to point out is the Indigenous are Canadians, same as the people with European ancestry. This is not an us vs them thing. We need to do better. All Canadians need to do better.

Lets put this on the other foot for a second. Would you not feel like everyone is out to get you, if you walked into a store and you were followed around, for no reason other the your skin colour? Now I know you are going to say it does not happen, and it might not where you are, but I live in Regina. I have been in stores looking for things to purchase, and indigenous people have walked in, and are followed. Many stores, and many different people followed.

I am not saying this case is inherently racist or not, I don't know enough of the actual facts, I only know what I read and hear, which may or may not be true, even from the major new stations. I do know that there is a racism issue in Canada, and every Canadian. no matter the colour of your skin needs to do what they can to stop it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
5837 posts
1168 upvotes
howdy1978 wrote:
You think it's irrelevant that:
a) The community leaders are themselves corrupt and engage(d) in criminal activity including burglary, sexual assault, and other acts of violence...but are now making a lot of noise about injustice with the Gerald Stanley case? You think hypocrisy is irrelevant?
b) Several young adult children of these leaders have already been charged or were suspects in crimes of burglary, sexual assault, or other acts of violence...and it doesn't make you question the criminal influences...?
c) On the day of the Gerald Stanley incident, Colten Boushie's friends admitted to being on a neighbor's property for intents of burglary...with a gun...and you imply that that is merely "guilt by association" with criminal family? They clearly were engaging in criminal activity themselves and with a dangerous weapon.

In my opinion you're making up irrelevant comments about other people's assertions.