Computers & Electronics

Trigger price for you to buy a 480+ GB SSD?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 2nd, 2012 12:22 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2008
1282 posts
314 upvotes
Ottawa

Trigger price for you to buy a 480+ GB SSD?

I have a couple of 128 GB SSDs, and my next step is to buy one in the 480 GB range when the price is attractive enough. I have a feeling that I may have a lot of company. There have been some deals in the $200 range but I'm holding out for $150. I'm curious about what the trigger price would be for you to buy a bigger drive like this would be.
5 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29708 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
spensar wrote: I'm curious about what the trigger price would be for you to buy a bigger drive like this would be.
Wouldn't that depend on the individual, their needs and their budget? For example I have a 256GB SSD with about 100GB empty space. I have no need for a 480/512GB SSD even if the price dropped to $100. I'll buy a higher capacity SSD when I need one, not when the price drops to some level.
There have been some deals in the $200 range but I'm holding out for $150.

Where have you seen a 480GB SSD for $200?

As for prices in general, 256GB SSDs have been dropping into the $150 to $200 range only in the last couple of months. I don't expect to see 480/512GB SSDs to drop to those levels for months if not a year or so into the future.

SSD prices are expected to continue to fall over time, barring some supply issue such as the Thailand floods that resulted in a temporary spike in HD prices. So again, generally speaking the best time to buy a larger SSD is when you need it because that's when it's likely to be the cheapest.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2005
6697 posts
266 upvotes
St. Catharines
SSD is far to expensive and unreliable. I won't be buying them until they come down to the prices and capacity of mechanical drives. The technology just isn't there yet and when I can buy a 500GB SSD for $59-77 then I'll buy one. Until then not worth it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6737 posts
3998 upvotes
Toronto
I don't really see much benefit to a big SSD. 128GB or less is more than enough to hold the OS and programs, which is where almost all the speed boosts are. There's not much point in storing your movie collection on an SSD, so I'm not going to pay a premium for it. I'll buy one when the price/size works similarly to mechanical HDs, i.e. when a 500GB drive is maybe $20-30 more than a 250GB drive. I certainly won't pay anywhere near twice as much to get twice the size.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2008
1282 posts
314 upvotes
Ottawa
bylo wrote:
Where have you seen a 480GB SSD for $200?
I thought the Mushkin Chronos hit that at one point? Could be I am mixing it up with a smaller capacity drive. If I didn't have the 128 right now, I would go with the 256 and be good for a while.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29708 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Manatus wrote: I don't really see much benefit to a big SSD. 128GB or less is more than enough to hold the OS and programs, which is where almost all the speed boosts are.
I would generally agree with that except in the case of notebook computers where (a) there may not be room to house both an SSD and HD, (b) two drives will draw more power than one, and (c) an external HD enclosure is awkward when travelling. Also SSDs are more rugged than HDs if that's an issue. In those sorts of situation 128GB may be tight. But for desktops, where there's lots of space and adding 1TB to 3TB HD is cheaper than 256GB SSD, I fully agree.
veni, vidi, Visa

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)