• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2011 10:37 am
[OP]
May 30, 2009
140 posts
10 upvotes
Montreal

Trios college for network engineer?

my brother is considering going there for network engineer. The cost is 20k for 1 year. Anybody have any experiences with this program or college? Is it worth going into IT now? There is a course like this at conestoga college for a shorter period of time but u only get a certificate for 15k
64 replies
Dec 9, 2007
224 posts
28 upvotes
Without even debating the reputation of Trios college, 20k for a one year program is outrageous.

Well just googling "trios college scam" should answer the rest
May 19, 2008
530 posts
6 upvotes
Wherever my job take…
I wanted to attend Trios college years ago but after debating I chose to go for engineering at university.

You can take the $20k, add another $10k and get a real engineering degree.
I'm a bilingual illiterate. I can't read in two languages.
Banned
Jun 19, 2006
9349 posts
42 upvotes
*Massive* glut of people in this area, even real, [professional] engineers are having amazing difficulty finding jobs in the field of 'network engineering'.
"I worked with several H1B employees that were/are borderline ********. One of them wanted to spray an electrical patch panel with solvent to see if it would make the “network go faster”". <--- lol (source)
Jul 13, 2009
138 posts
1 upvote
As someone who allowed himself to be suckered by a private career college in the past, I advise you to go to a reputable college or university instead. I'm still kicking myself to this very day for wasting my money at such places.
Mar 6, 2009
433 posts
3 upvotes
Anonymouse wrote:
Jul 14th, 2009 8:38 pm
The name of the program is highly misleading. You can't call yourself an engineer after you graduate from this program; it's not an engineering program. It's at best a technician program.

Any school who would misrepresent their programs in this way is not worth your time.

IT is different from other engineering fields. IT engineers or architects don't need a bachelor's in CS or software engi or PEng because it's not a regulated profession. In fact a degree in CS isn't suppose to make you a software engineer as well since it's not even engineering (ie. BS in chem doesn't make you a chemical engineer, BS in material science doesn't make you a material engineer). My dad's friend graduated from a college (but he had a bachelor's in mechanical engi or some other fields before) and he's been a software architect for 5 years now.
Nov 4, 2008
340 posts
25 upvotes
locococo wrote:
Jul 14th, 2009 9:02 pm
As someone who allowed himself to be suckered by a private career college in the past, I advise you to go to a reputable college or university instead. I'm still kicking myself to this very day for wasting my money at such places.
Same. Please weigh your options again and don't go to a Private school. I went to DeVry a few years back before they exited out of Ontario and I consider it one of my biggest mistakes ever since I came to Canada.
Aug 22, 2003
15532 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
For anyone contemplating a private career college.... read the Ombudsman's report that just came out! The Ministry is not doing their job in this area and students have absolutely no protection from scams, even when the Ministry knew a school was a scam...
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Mar 6, 2009
433 posts
3 upvotes
Flipcharmer wrote:
Jul 14th, 2009 9:06 pm
Same. Please weigh your options again and don't go to a Private school. I went to DeVry a few years back before they exited out of Ontario and I consider it one of my biggest mistakes ever since I came to Canada.
Lol, you actually went to that online "university" that posts ads everywhere on the internet?
What major did you do?
Mar 6, 2009
433 posts
3 upvotes
This kind of scams are also happening to ultrasound as well. I've seen several private "college" ads saying you can get your ultrasound licence through their programs (like 4 months PART TIME when real ultrasound programs require at least 2.5 years for postgrads or 3.5-5 years equivalent for direct entry diploma or degrees) and they'll guanrantee you will pass the licencing exam in the end.

These kind of ads exist because there're holes in our legal & professional system. Currently there're no regulations regarding who is allowed to practice ultrasound thus no licence is needed so these programs are not breaking the law. However in reality non of these grads will be able to register with the professional associations & colleges and non of them will have an oppourtunity to even write the exam. All medical clinics and hospials require their sonographers to be registered, so in the end I don't think any of these grads will be able to find jobs (well they could probably get jobs in private non-medical places like "UC Baby" or something).
Nov 4, 2008
340 posts
25 upvotes
petergriffin wrote:
Jul 14th, 2009 9:18 pm
Lol, you actually went to that online "university" that posts ads everywhere on the internet?
What major did you do?
No, not the online courses that they offered. They had an actual physical campus down in Mississauga back in 2001-2004 or 05. They "exited" out of Ontario but not entirely out of Canada since they still have a campus in Calgary. Their exit strategy for the remaining students in Mississauga was either they continue their studies in Calgary or the US and in both cases they requires thousands of dollars. Even more if you go to the US since you will be a visa student and you're required to present a bank statement saying that you have money in the bank before you can go. Third option was to continue your studies with RCC in North York and in which case you have to extend your studies for another year and you won't be getting a DeVry diploma but an RCC diploma.

I took Computer Engineering Technology in DeVry. Most of their "professors" are hard to understand during lectures since they have heavy accents though there are some good professors too.
Mar 6, 2009
433 posts
3 upvotes
Anonymouse wrote:
Jul 14th, 2009 9:22 pm
Software engineers with CS degrees are appropriating the more respectable title of "engineer." I can call myself a software engineer if I want because I have earned a license to practice engineering. Folks with CS degrees generally can't call themselves this, and in fact can be prosecuted for doing so. Unfortunately, this law is more honoured in the breach than in the observance.
I think it might be the employers who started all this, because on IT engi ads you'll find "degree in software engi or CS preferred".
Mar 6, 2009
433 posts
3 upvotes
Flipcharmer wrote:
Jul 14th, 2009 9:30 pm
No, not the online courses that they offered. They had an actual physical campus down in Mississauga back in 2001-2004 or 05. They "exited" out of Ontario but not entirely out of Canada since they still have a campus in Calgary. Their exit strategy for the remaining students in Mississauga was either they continue their studies in Calgary or the US and in both cases they requires thousands of dollars. Even more if you go to the US since you will be a visa student and you're required to present a bank statement saying that you have money in the bank before you can go. Third option was to continue your studies with RCC in North York and in which case you have to extend your studies for another year and you won't be getting a DeVry diploma but an RCC diploma.

And the government isn't doing anything about it?
That sucks!
May 19, 2008
530 posts
6 upvotes
Wherever my job take…
petergriffin wrote:
Jul 14th, 2009 9:33 pm
That sucks!
What can they do? Collect tax revenue.

Private colleges are good for health care programs. Usually, they are better equipped than community colleges but are more expensive. I have heard that dentists prefer to hire private college dental assistant graduates because the candidate is better educated and experienced.
I'm a bilingual illiterate. I can't read in two languages.
Nov 4, 2008
340 posts
25 upvotes
petergriffin wrote:
Jul 14th, 2009 9:33 pm
That sucks!
I wrote the MTCU before in regards and I believe their reply to me many years ago was that DeVry is legitimately registered as a private institution with them and closing one branch/location happens. So in essence I was SOL. > :(
× < >