• Nov 8th, 2017 3:08 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 6, 2010
721 posts
68 upvotes

Trip help

Hi,

I'm doing a three day three to New York in November and this will be my first time traveling alone outside Canada. Any good advice for someone traveling alone first time outside Canada? Also, what are some recommended things I do when in New York for three days? Any suggestions for good places to stay? Do I need to book my flight early or can it be week before?
28 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28240 posts
4204 upvotes
Ottawa
New York City or New York State?
If it is the City:
Do you have a budget?
In my opinion, if you only have 3 days and want to make the most of them, stay right downtown, close to Times Square. We like the Marriott Marquis at Times Square.
Again, sometimes if you book ahead you can get the flights for less but, if you do have budget concerns.....
First thing I would do is a hop on hop off bus tour so you can get an idea of what New York City is all about.
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1434 posts
760 upvotes
Sorry, double post
(see below)
Last edited by PointsHubby on Oct 16th, 2017 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1434 posts
760 upvotes
Generally speaking, when it comes to travel, the earlier you book the more choice you have & the less you pay. Last Minute Deals certainly exist in some parts of the industry... But by then it is just buying up whatever remains (aka the leftovers). So ya need to do your research ASAP (the more research ya do upfront BEFORE you actually book anything the better).

Budget...this is where you should start. Have a REALISTIC talk with yourself about how much you actually have to spend. Then research transportation costs (getting there / being there) be that by car, train or plane... Once there... Parking, subway, cabs etc. Next up accommodations. As @Pete_Coach mentioned if you've never been to NY City before and only have 3 Days then staying somewhere in the heart of the action is your best choice... But costly. Consider your options hotels, B&Bs, etc. If Driving, Parking in NY City is a killer... Perhaps look at leaving your car on the outskirts & taking the train in... Or just staying outside the city & commuting. Although that could be cheaper, it is also time consuming, so less time for the city itself.

Paperwork: Besides your Passport, you should also buy Travel Medical Insurance for the days you are travelling / out of country. And if you are using a public transit (plane, train, bus) to get there, or laying out a chunk of cash for accommodations that also cannot easily be cancelled (penalties) then also buy Travel / Trip Insurance. (A good online source for both is CAA... But you can also get these insurances thru most banks, travel agents, independent brokers, etc)

As for what to see & do:

Agree again with @Pete_Coach the City Bus Tour is always a good place to start to get a feel for the city & your bearings (NY City is BIG & confusing) the bus tour will give you a good overview & info on places as you drive past, even if you don't get around to seeing them individually.

For other ideas, I suggest you check out NY City's Tourism Website
https://www.nycgo.com/

And join (or at least browse thru) TripAdvisor's NY City Pages... Including their Travel Guide & Forum
https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Tourism-g607 ... tions.html
[OP]
Jan 6, 2010
721 posts
68 upvotes
Thanks for suggestions. Which are good and reliable websites to book flights? Also, what should I know about accommodations? Would Airbnb be best? How much should I expect to spend on average for accommodations each night?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7797 posts
911 upvotes
Markham
Airlines website would be the most reliable. lol
Accommodations, the most important this is to check how far is it from the places you want to go. You never want to waste time on the commute if you are on a trip. The cost is really depending which dates and where. NYC, average is about $250 per night' for the 3 stars?
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28240 posts
4204 upvotes
Ottawa
Soorma wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 2:12 am
Thanks for suggestions. Which are good and reliable websites to book flights? Also, what should I know about accommodations? Would Airbnb be best? How much should I expect to spend on average for accommodations each night?
Just ask Google. It depends where you are departing from.
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
[OP]
Jan 6, 2010
721 posts
68 upvotes
Thanks I figured out flight and hotel. For transportation, what is the best way to move around NYC? Is there a pass I can buy for unlimited rides over the trip? Also, is there a pass I can buy to skip lines for attractions like the Empire State Building?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7797 posts
911 upvotes
Markham
Soorma wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 4:49 pm
Thanks I figured out flight and hotel. For transportation, what is the best way to move around NYC? Is there a pass I can buy for unlimited rides over the trip? Also, is there a pass I can buy to skip lines for attractions like the Empire State Building?
Hop On Hop Off, is a bus that pass thru Manhattan, you can get on and off anytime during their schedule at their stops
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3346 posts
905 upvotes
Moncton
At the risks of over planning, check out Google Streetview for routes you are likely to take. The grid system makes navigating the streets fairly simple, but because the sun is often hiding behind a building, it can be easy to lose the North when exiting the subway. Although your smartphone does have a compas. And the streets are numbered.

Unique to New York City are the express subway lines. Pretty easy to figure out as long as you know they exist. They can be a real time saver (they are in the middle).

Remember that successful criminals won’t look poor. If anybody touches you, put your hand on your wallet.

New York isn’t Niagara Falls where you can just wonder around aimlessly. Have a list of things you want to visit. I had a 7 hour layover in the pouring rain one time and the best I could come up with was the free ferry to Staten Island. Thankfully there was someone on the plane who simply spent 12 hours at the airport. He made me feel better. I’d been to NYC before, it’s just the $600 price tag of going back that can make optimizing time there seem essential.

If you are young enough you can stay at the Hosteling International Youth Hostel. A tad closer to Harlem than I would have liked, but it is clean. Because of the size, not the easiest hostel to make acquaintances, but more likely than at your hotel.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1434 posts
760 upvotes
Soorma wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 4:49 pm
This is the kind of info that you can find on TripAdvisor, or ask on their NYCity Forum (TA link I provide in Reply # 4 above). The Forums on TA are great cause you'll be interacting with both those who travel to the Destination City often, as well as LOCALS who live there. Great place to quickly get info as well as tips & tricks on how to make the most of your trip (insider info saves you BOTH time & money, hence I ALWAYS consult TA whenever I am Trip Planning BEFORE I book stuff)
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14107 posts
4575 upvotes
We went with Real New York Tours the last time we were in New York:
https://realnewyorktours.com/tours_group

It was awesome - we took the 6.5 hour tour and it covered a lot of different things. The big advantage to this is that they teach you how to use the subway, go over things you might be interested in, and help answer any of your questions. We liked it so much we booked a private tour in London with the same outfit (obviously a different guide).

Even if you do not take this tour, I think the suggestion of, on your first day, taking some sort of tour (even if it's the hop on / off one) is a good one. Tours take you to all the highlights and allow you to decide for yourself what you want to visit further. For example, would you know about lesser known stops like the Tenement Museum (Homepage: http://www.tenement.org/ Reviews: https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_R ... _York.html) - which offers great tours - without being on a tour? Possibly not. And this is exactly why organized tours are great for part of your trip (not all).
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1434 posts
760 upvotes
@TrevorK have seen the Tenement Museum featured on two different PBS shows (most recently Great American Railroad Journeys with Michael Portillo... Rebroadcast of the BBC Series) it is most definitely on my MUST DO LIST for my next visit to NY City... As a student of "social history" this is a real gem along with the Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14107 posts
4575 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Oct 21st, 2017 5:32 pm
@TrevorK have seen the Tenement Museum featured on two different PBS shows (most recently Great American Railroad Journeys with Michael Portillo... Rebroadcast of the BBC Series) it is most definitely on my MUST DO LIST for my next visit to NY City... As a student of "social history" this is a real gem along with the Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island
It is a great stop - just make sure you're lining up your visit with their tour schedules because those are really good.
[OP]
Jan 6, 2010
721 posts
68 upvotes
Does carry-on bag have to match exact dimensions provided by airlines?