• Nov 8th, 2017 3:08 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1456 posts
772 upvotes
Soorma wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 4:27 am
Does carry-on bag have to match exact dimensions provided by airlines?
Or smaller.

Many airlines now have a contraption at their check in area that you try & stick your carry on bag into to see if it fits the requirements.

Personally, I wouldn't mess around with trying to "get by" the size requirements... Cause I've often seen folks get all the way thru to Boarding the Aircraft / Gate ... Just to have a Crew Member tell tem they have to check their bag / item cause it is deemed oversized (or too much Carry On for 1 Pax). That is when things really suck, cause you can be sure chances are higher that lone item ain't gonna make the flight (late check in) or get lost.

Play it safe... Play by the rules, and plan your carry on / check in items ahead.

Acceptable sizes (and items) can be found listed on each individual airline website... As well if there is a charge for Carry On Items*

* Charging per item is the latest thing / money grab with the deep discount airlines. :rolleyes:
Jan 30, 2008
310 posts
66 upvotes
Toronto
Soorma wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 4:49 pm
Thanks I figured out flight and hotel. For transportation, what is the best way to move around NYC? Is there a pass I can buy for unlimited rides over the trip? Also, is there a pass I can buy to skip lines for attractions like the Empire State Building?
The subway is great. They have a 7 day pass (unlimited rides during the 7 days) that is $32 USD. I know you're only there for 3 days but it might be worth it depending on how often you might use the subway.
Nov 3, 2002
817 posts
44 upvotes
I'm not a fan of the hop on off tours. I've done a couple of them.
I find it better to walk, which you can do in NYC very easily, with a paper map or google maps.
Most of Manhattan is on a grid system.
Also very easy to hop on a subway.
Lastly taxi's are fairly cheap and easy to spot. Only cost $10-15 for most trips in Manhattan.

Some ideas,
Go up the rockafeller centre tower instead of empire state.
Eat at a halal guys.
Go to the Met and /or moma
Walk around central park
Talk a harbour boat tour.
Get discounted show tickets at TKTS
Go to Eataly for lunch.
Walk across Brooklyn bridge and have pizza
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28241 posts
4207 upvotes
Ottawa
rubeus wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 4:39 pm
I'm not a fan of the hop on off tours. I've done a couple of them.
I find it better to walk, which you can do in NYC very easily, with a paper map or google maps.
Most of Manhattan is on a grid system.
Also very easy to hop on a subway.
Lastly taxi's are fairly cheap and easy to spot. Only cost $10-15 for most trips in Manhattan.

Some ideas, .......
Manhattan is 14 miles long. Lotta walking. The HoHo will take you all over Manhattan and then you can use it for transportation all day (24 hrs or more if you wish).
If you only have a short time in NYC (OP has 3 days), it is a very worthwhile thing to do.
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
May 7, 2017
283 posts
119 upvotes
I walked from Central Park down to the Statue of Liberty boat port did clinch along the way , freedom tower, etc from 9-6pm . Worth while got to see so much of the city. We took Uber back to the hotel
Nov 3, 2002
817 posts
44 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 5:05 pm
Manhattan is 14 miles long. Lotta walking. The HoHo will take you all over Manhattan and then you can use it for transportation all day (24 hrs or more if you wish).
If you only have a short time in NYC (OP has 3 days), it is a very worthwhile thing to do.
its a personal thing, I don't like being herded along when I travel, and try to see/drive by 20 different things in a day.

Anyways to each his/her own, I'm not a fan of the HOHO tours.
I prefer to walk and or take public transit/uber/taxi and proceed at my own pace.
And I find this can be cheaper than the HOHO tour cost.

Yes I agree I wouldn't recommend walking from the lower tip of Manhattan to central park, but
most of the midtown/central park areas are all walkable. (Times sq, central park, Met, Moma, grand central, 5th ave shopping, etc)
Also most of lower Manhattan is walkable. (wall st, twin towers mem, statue of liberty ferry, brooklyn bridge, etc.)
You just need to hop on a taxi or subway from one to the other.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28241 posts
4207 upvotes
Ottawa
rubeus wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 1:59 pm
its a personal thing, I don't like being herded along when I travel, and try to see/drive by 20 different things in a day.

Anyways to each his/her own, I'm not a fan of the HOHO tours.
I prefer to walk and or take public transit/uber/taxi and proceed at my own pace.
And I find this can be cheaper than the HOHO tour cost.

Yes I agree I wouldn't recommend walking from the lower tip of Manhattan to central park, but
most of the midtown/central park areas are all walkable. (Times sq, central park, Met, Moma, grand central, 5th ave shopping, etc)
Also most of lower Manhattan is walkable. (wall st, twin towers mem, statue of liberty ferry, brooklyn bridge, etc.)
You just need to hop on a taxi or subway from one to the other.
Yup, Manhattan is walk-able. So is Toronto, Vancouver, Paris , Rome and on and on. How is being on a tour bus for 2 hours being "herded"?
Thing is, if you only have a short time, you want an overview of a city and have some form of transport for a while, The HoHo is one of the easiest and best options out there.
Just getting off a bus or subway or taxi at Times Square and then picking a direction not knowing anything except your google maps, well, you certainly are not spending your short time wisely.
Nov 3, 2002
817 posts
44 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 2:09 pm
Yup, Manhattan is walk-able. So is Toronto, Vancouver, Paris , Rome and on and on. How is being on a tour bus for 2 hours being "herded"?
Thing is, if you only have a short time, you want an overview of a city and have some form of transport for a while, The HoHo is one of the easiest and best options out there.
Just getting off a bus or subway or taxi at Times Square and then picking a direction not knowing anything except your google maps, well, you certainly are not spending your short time wisely.
agree to disagree, move on.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28241 posts
4207 upvotes
Ottawa
rubeus wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 3:06 pm
agree to disagree, move on.
Fine, but please inform us a better way to see the most of New York City in less than 3 days? Walkabout the 700 or so sq kms? Or even the 60 sq kms of Manhattan alone?
Please share your secret with us. :)
Nov 3, 2002
817 posts
44 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 3:21 pm
midtown/central park areas are all walkable. (Times sq, central park, Met, Moma, grand central, 5th ave shopping, etc)

Fine, but please inform us a better way to see the most of New York City in less than 3 days? Walkabout the 700 or so sq kms? Or even the 60 sq kms of Manhattan alone?
Please share your secret with us. :)
you don't want to leave it alone. SO...

I already said what you can in my opinion walk to in my previous post. You could do each of those areas walking in probably 2-3 hrs.
{midtown/central park areas (Times sq, central park, Met, Moma, grand central, 5th ave shopping, etc)
lower Manhattan (wall st, twin towers mem, statue of liberty ferry, brooklyn bridge, etc.)}

I also said I personally don't prefer a tour bus atmosphere.
Didn't say anything about what you like or don't like.
(Waiting in line to get on the next bus, maybe getting on if it is not too full. big groups getting on and off at popular spots.
Driving by sites like the MET, times sq, grand central, wall st, etc. don't do much for me.)
Everyone is not the same some people may be like me and appreciate my advice to not take the HOHO.
Some may be like you and love the HOHO. Personal Pref!

I also said it could be cheaper than HOHO ( $40 day per person, for that 2 people can take 6-8 taxis in around Manhattan.)
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28241 posts
4207 upvotes
Ottawa
rubeus wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 3:29 pm
you don't want to leave it alone. SO...

I already said what you can in my opinion .....

I also said it could be cheaper than HOHO ( $40 day per person, for that 2 people can take 6-8 taxis in around Manhattan.)
I can leave it alone and my opinion and tip is as good as yours. You rebut and therefore, I can too.
No chance you can get 6 to 8 taxis in NYC for $40 unless you take them one block each
Jan 8, 2012
340 posts
100 upvotes
Williams Lake
New York, or more specifically, Manhattan, is the most walkable city I've visited to date. That includes Paris, London, Rome, Tokyo, Hong Kong, DC, Saigon, Philly, Lisbon, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur and a few others.

You can start at the park, or part way up the park, (say start at any of the museums nearby), meander south through the park, then continue on to whatever nearby attraction you want to visit.

Plus, and this is the biggest counter-argument to the HOHO and the subway for me, there is always something to look at, something you'll recognize or something that will surprise you, no matter where you go, on almost every block. There is also an energy to the streets, as cliched as that sounds, that no other city can match (though Tokyo comes close). It's something you don't experience on a bus or on the subway.

So walking, again, for me, is the best way, by quite a distance, to see Manhattan.

That said, if you're pressed for time, and you want to tick the boxes in the most efficient manner, HOHO might be the way to go.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
3677 posts
1238 upvotes
Toronto
OP, can I suggest that next time you write on the thread's name the place where you will be traveling to?, this way it becomes easier for others to help you out.
A name like "Trip help" tells us nothing.

Great suggestions everybody!, and I hope OP found some of these tips interesting
Soorma wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 3:25 am
Hi,

I'm doing a three day three to New York in November and this will be my first time traveling alone outside Canada. Any good advice for someone traveling alone first time outside Canada? Also, what are some recommended things I do when in New York for three days? Any suggestions for good places to stay? Do I need to book my flight early or can it be week before?
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3095 posts
224 upvotes
London, EU
wudtsilake wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 5:59 pm
New York, or more specifically, Manhattan, is the most walkable city I've visited to date. That includes Paris, London, Rome, Tokyo, Hong Kong, DC, Saigon, Philly, Lisbon, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur and a few others.
What makes Manhattan more walkable than London or Paris? I'm just curious to your findings as I have found London to be more walkable than Manhattan. Is it the grid system?