Toronto GTA

Which tripod is good for beginner ?

Looking for tripod for my canon60d
Is Manfrotto a good brand?
10 replies
Nov 25, 2005
142 posts
11 upvotes
Yes. My most used tripod is actually a 055xprob by Manfrotto. Fantastic versatile tripod! I coupled it with a 486rc2 ballhead. I think the combo was about $300. Well worth the price!
Apr 26, 2003
901 posts
33 upvotes
Vancouver
Manfrotto is a good brand. Unlike camera bodies and (to a lesser extent) camera lens, tripods do no go obsolete. Spend money on a good one because it will last you a long long time.
Jan 6, 2008
434 posts
46 upvotes
I also have the 055xb with ball-head. but it's heavy. the manfrotto 190 is fine if the op has a smaller camera like u4/3 or mirrorless models. the 055 goes higher which is why i bought it. the exposure show is coming up in october so if waiting for that is an option, there'll be plenty to try with manufacturers reps to listen to. i'm also sure there are other brands with equivalent quality tripods.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5855 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
There are many used but in excellent condition, Manfrotto tripods on Kijiji.

I picked myself up a carbon fiber Manfrotto one last week.
M-e-X-x wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 7:22 am
Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2781 posts
574 upvotes
pessamystic wrote:
Aug 20th, 2012 6:58 am
I also have the 055xb with ball-head. but it's heavy. the manfrotto 190 is fine if the op has a smaller camera like u4/3 or mirrorless models. the 055 goes higher which is why i bought it. the exposure show is coming up in october so if waiting for that is an option, there'll be plenty to try with manufacturers reps to listen to. i'm also sure there are other brands with equivalent quality tripods.
The 190 is fine for not so pro DSLRs without pro tele/zoom lenses. As long as you have a good head paired.

I have the 055 xpro b as well, just for the durability in outdoor conditions. Cold or hot, moist, wet etc etc etc. 7 years and running strong!
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4296 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto
Just make sure the tripod/head combination can support the weight of your body+lenses.
Board games!!!!
Jun 20, 2012
172 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
If you are doing:

Video: Manfrotto is a must.
Photography: Just a sturdy enough tripod that will support your equipment. You may want something smaller too depending on what you will be doing.
Jul 11, 2012
128 posts
2 upvotes
TORONTO
Manfrotto is good , but for video buy monopod , it is much more convinient for run and gun shooting. it is cheaper. 70-80 Cad. and it is more important than tripod
Aug 6, 2009
498 posts
56 upvotes
GTA
I am very much a beginner - I just bought the Henry's "HT100 Premium (lol) Tripod with Deluxe (lol again) Case" for $100.

Played with it in store - and it will suit my needs of just trying to get a nicer shot here and there. Fact it came with any bag was a bonus.

- Extends quite tall if you need it
- Comes with bag
- Quick release

I don't know what a great tripod is, or how much I'll use one so this seemed like a great place to start.
Jan 6, 2008
434 posts
46 upvotes
we all start that way. then we get a better one. then we get one that will do us for a few years. finally we get a great one. these junky panhead models will do down the road for your point and shoot or maybe a light stand. so they're not wasted money. but you will quickly find the limitations of this model.