Art and Photography

Tripod Recommendation (With swivelling centre column)

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2014 10:27 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2011
1762 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto

Tripod Recommendation (With swivelling centre column)

Looking for some advice from the RFD photographers.

I'm looking for a mid entry level tripod that is sturdy but fairly portable. One feature I'm looking for is the swivelling centre column. I've narrowed my choices down between the Manfrotto 190XPRO series or the Vanguard Alta Pro series but I'm unsure about which is a better buy. Budget is around $200 including a tripod head but as this is RFD I hope I can score one during a sale or even through Kijiji. Maybe next I can dream of some carbon fibre goodies.

Can anyone give their opinions on the two or have some suggestions on any others I should look into? Also I've never used a ball head before, how does it compare to the normal pan/tilt head for ease of use?
Fashion hurts p░ ░ ░yboi - KimchiTacos_
2 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2006
4434 posts
218 upvotes
I have the Manfrotto 190XPRO and have used it for about 4-5 years now. The thing's a tank and I've used and abused it extensively, and has very little signs of wear. I have mine paired with the 804RC2 head. I managed to get both as a combo for under $200 brand new at Henry's, and looking back at it, it looks like it was a great deal.

The combo is a bit on the heavier side and I do need to remove the 2 longer handles that stick out of the head to fit it into my tripod bag, but it's not a big deal. Takes like 10 seconds to screw back in. My combo can also handle any amount of weight you can throw at it. 7D/6D + 70-200 doesn't even make it break a sweat.
Jan 2, 2008
663 posts
45 upvotes
I recently picked up a Mefoto tripod from vistek for $179.99 + tax for travelling. It can fit in my carry on luggage, however it does not have a swivelling centre column like my carbon fiber manfrotto 055. But you can flip the centre column upside down and have the camera down to the floor.

http://www.vistek.ca/marketing/procentr ... el+Tripods
Automotive Photographer

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)