Tags:
None
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11907 posts
1734 upvotes
GVR

Tripod Upgrade Help

I currently have a cheap Giottos tripod from Black's from ages ago... time for an upgrade and I'm tired of delaying it for no apparent reason.

One thing that gets me is that it has the "video head" while it seems 99.9% of people using tripods with their DSLRs are NOT using those pan/video heads...

I want carbon fiber and willing to pay the premium for the lightness (I do care about weight..)

And then of course there is load. Right now I have T1i + 70-200 F4 IS (or 17-55 IS) ... so surely has to support that weight.

I keep being drawn to this one but I don't think I need a $420 tripod (also there is a 4-section model... why is 4 sections better?)... and this one doesn't even include a head:
http://vistek.ca/store/ProPhotoTripods/ ... ripod.aspx

So someone point me in the right direction! What tripod legs + heads should I be considering?

P.S. I could have sworn I had a discussion on here a while ago but I can't find the thread or remember much from it. This time I'm buying!
37 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5016 posts
559 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
The 055 weighs 350 grams (12 oz) more than the 190 but has a sturdier 3 section build. It will take an 8 kg load, about 3kg more than the 190.
The 3 section 055 model is better for serious telephoto work, and may be more stable in windy situations.
The three section 190 should be slightly stronger (fewer stress points) than the 4 section models, but the specs are similar.
Manfrotto has good heads at reasonable prices, but Gitzo is the class act of the company.
Jan 11, 2007
293 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
If you want any of the Manfrotto carbon-fiber stuff (190cx3, 190cxpro3, 190cxpro4, 055cx3, 055cxpro3, 055cxpro4), you may want to consider eBay or American websites.

Here are some deals form Henry's ebay account (new, with warranty):

190CXPRO4 C $397.79 + C $15.31

190CXPRO3 C $346.50 + C $15.31

190CX3 C $264.43 + C $13.97

If you can afford to wait for something to go from Korea:
- 190CXPRO4 for C $313.92

- 190CXPRO3 for C $276.98 + C $42.57

... but those will have no warranty + a number of potential customs-associated fees.

But, at the end of the day, what would you say your budget is for the tripod + head?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I travel with my tripod all of the time...

Here's the criteria I used when I selected a travelling tripod:

1. Got to fold up small -> 19" with the head. I didn't want to check my tripod as luggage so it's got to fit into the carry-on luggage I have to carry my gear and my laptop.
2. Got to be light. If I'm hiking with the tripod, I don't want to know I'm carrying a tripod...
3. Got to hold my gear. I typically travel with a D200 with an 18-200, and a 10-20mm. In addition, I might supplement the package with a 80-200mm f/2.8, 300mm f/2.8, 400mm f/3.5 or a BIGMA.
4. Got to be dependable. If a leg collapses, not only will I loose the shot, but I loose a lot of equipment as well.
5. Got to hold up in bad weather. I went to Yosemite in the Winter a few years a go and when you put your tripod on a frozen river with a D700 and a 14-24mm...
6. Got to be cheap. Or I should say good value.

I got the Feisol Traveler Class tripod - CT-3441s from http://reallybigcameras.com/Feisol/Traveler_Class.htm. The CT-3441s fits all of my travelling needs... it's small (folds down to 16.9"), it's light (1-Kg), it holds my gear, it's dependable (used it on the frozen river in Yosemite), and it's relative cheap ($299.99 US). The only problem is that it doesn't come with a head for that price... Initially, I picked up the CB-30c head from Feisol as well and had the whole thing dropped shipped to Honolulu when I was there on business (3 days of work/5 days of fun). It's not bad but the ballhead wasn't as smooth as I would like.... So, I picked up the Photo Clam PC-36NS - http://reallybigcameras.com/PhotoClam/PC-36N_NS.htm - which works great. I have to say that it's a little harder to fit the tripod with the new ballhead into the carrying case but it's doable!

A plus is Kerry at ReallyBigCameras is a pleasure to deal with. He really knows his stuff and gives good honest opinions about the suitability of his equipment to your needs.
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11907 posts
1734 upvotes
GVR
What about tripod heads?

I don't think I want one of those heads with 3-prong adjustment... just seems bulkier and more annoying to use (am I wrong?)

I don't think I really want one of those squeeze ones...

So what's recommended?
Jan 11, 2007
293 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
Kaitlyn wrote: What about tripod heads?

I don't think I want one of those heads with 3-prong adjustment... just seems bulkier and more annoying to use (am I wrong?)

I don't think I really want one of those squeeze ones...

So what's recommended?

By "squeeze one," do you mean the joystick variety?

The Manfrotto 492RC2 is generally considered to be a pretty good value.

If you want an Arca-Swiss head, Photoclam and Benro have some relatively reasonably priced models.

Another suggestion for the tripod might be one of the Vanguard carbon-fiber models (legs or kit).

This model quite impressed me when I was looking at tripods in-store. I'm glad I went with a Gitzo, but the Vanguard seemed like such a good value... it really had me questioning whether it was worth spending any more.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5731 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto
The Feisol actually looks interesting, the biggest problem is the short maximum height without extending the 2 piece centre column, but I guess that's something you up with a travel tripod.

Brent

Me, I'd end up with the Gitzo, and never upgrade again!
--------------------------------------------------------------
HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11907 posts
1734 upvotes
GVR
Alright so I went to downtown camera. I was considering the manfrotto 190cxprob4 and 498rc2 head... At which point I learned about sirui (think it is spelled like that)

N2205 + 420x head. Cheaper, more compact, etc. Never heard of them. How is quality? How do those combos compare?

Thanks!
Jan 11, 2007
293 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
Kaitlyn wrote: Alright so I went to downtown camera. I was considering the manfrotto 190cxprob4 and 498rc2 head... At which point I learned about sirui (think it is spelled like that)

N2005 + 420x head. Cheaper, more compact, etc. Never heard of them. How is quality? How do those combos compare?

Thanks!

Sirui, I believe, is a relatively new company; there isn't a lot out there in terms of reviews and experiences.

I was taking a look at one of their tripods a month or so back. Seemed like a pretty good quality unit, and the price was quite good. For some reason, however, I feel like the weight was a bit more than I would have expected for carbon fiber.

How much did they tell you the combination would cost?
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11907 posts
1734 upvotes
GVR
valdore93 wrote: Sirui, I believe, is a relatively new company; there isn't a lot out their in terms of reviews and experiences.

I was taking a look at one of their tripods a month or so back. Seemed like a pretty good quality unit, and the price was quite good. For some reason, however, I feel like the weight was a bit more than I would have expected for carbon fiber.

How much did they tell you the combination would cost?

$495 which he said was a 10% discount... I can't see 420x online... but that's what was written down. I think it was about ~110

It does worry me that there is very little about them online...

He mentioned the type of plate they use is super common/standard so it wouldn't be an issue picking up other plates.. and their leg-to-head mount is standard so could use any head with it too...

It looked like a savings of about 25% (including the 10% discount he gave...) over the Manfrotto I was looking at - not THAT much really... but definitely something!
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1726 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
I know you're concerned with weight but a nice aluminium Gitzo will last a very long time, lifetime warranty unless Gitzo goes belly up, go heft some aluminium gitzos explorer series and arcratech head, markins at the high end or really right stuff pretty close to those or even a Gitzo. I say durability of metal is a little better vs carbonfiber/balsalt what have you.

That said you never mentioned where you intend on using your tripod.
Sirui is a popular Chinese brand, you know how they like to infringe on patents but it's popular over there. the aisian photo forums have been talking about Sirui awhile now, favourable reviews especially with costs.
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. :idea:
Jan 11, 2007
293 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
Kaitlyn wrote: $495 which he said was a 10% discount... I can't see 420x online... but that's what was written down. I think it was about ~110

It does worry me that there is very little about them online...

He mentioned the type of plate they use is super common/standard so it wouldn't be an issue picking up other plates.. and their leg-to-head mount is standard so could use any head with it too...

It looked like a savings of about 25% (including the 10% discount he gave...) over the Manfrotto I was looking at - not THAT much really... but definitely something!

Hmm... Tricky stuff.

I didn't think about this, but my concern with the Manfrotto 190-series would be the height. They're pretty short tripods, and the 055-series is likely out of your budget.

If you're going for a third-party option, I'd take Feisol over Sirui. The Feisol ones have been receiving pretty positive reviews lately. Benro may also be worth considering.

Now I feel like I'm just as confused. :facepalm:
Jan 11, 2007
293 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
pmc wrote: I know you're concerned with weight but a nice aluminium Gitzo will last a very long time, lifetime warranty unless Gitzo goes belly up
Just my opinion... but picking up and holding an aluminum Gitzo was all I needed to be sold on the idea of spending more for carbon-fiber. If you're putting a 600mm lens on it, then perhaps a heavy-duty aluminum tripod may be an advantage. Otherwise, though, it's just a reason not to bring a tripod with you at all.

It doesn't matter how long it will last you if you're never going to end up using it anyways.
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11907 posts
1734 upvotes
GVR
Ya.. Too many quality knockoffs!

I am using the tripod mainly for night and scenic shots, but also wildlife. I care about size/weight.

I only recently heard of feisol... Heard of benro...
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2006
1880 posts
124 upvotes
Kaitlyn wrote: Ya.. Too many quality knockoffs!

I am using the tripod mainly for night and scenic shots, but also wildlife. I care about size/weight.

I only recently heard of feisol... Heard of benro...

Either is good but benro there's more choices and actually those two ebay links I send you should be cheaper due to the way they do their "shipping" ;) . I believe feisol doesn't try to help you out that way.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
googoo wrote: The Feisol actually looks interesting, the biggest problem is the short maximum height without extending the 2 piece centre column, but I guess that's something you up with a travel tripod.

Small is small unfortunately.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Not bad but if you want to order a Feisol, get it from ReallyBigCameras.com. They have them instock and ship almost immediately. (Excellent customer service as well)

But I would get a Photo Clam ballhead over a Feisol. I've got both and I prefer the Photo Clam... You can also order a custom plate for your camera body for it as well.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
valdore93 wrote: By "squeeze one," do you mean the joystick variety?

The Manfrotto 492RC2 is generally considered to be a pretty good value.

If you want an Arca-Swiss head, Photoclam and Benro have some relatively reasonably priced models.

Another suggestion for the tripod might be one of the Vanguard carbon-fiber models (legs or kit).

This model quite impressed me when I was looking at tripods in-store. I'm glad I went with a Gitzo, but the Vanguard seemed like such a good value... it really had me questioning whether it was worth spending any more.

The problem with the Joystick heads (while extremely easy to operate) they sometimes don't hold much weight and need some maintenance from time to time to keep the ball clean. I have a Manfrotto 222 and it's a dream to move around but I have to take it apart once in a while to clean out the works.