Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3365 upvotes
Vancouver

Trivago???

Who the hech owns Trivago???? They must be loaded! Every other commercial is Trivago.

Personally I hate Trivago. Very annoying commercials. And way too many.
17 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
from http://www.trivago.ca/static/corporate/editorial

Headquarters

trivago GmbH
Bennigsen-Platz-1
40474Düsseldorf
Germany

Registration office: Amtsgericht Düsseldorf
Registration number: HRB 51842
Tax I.D.: 106/5726/3584
VAT I.D.
In accordance with § 27 a UStG: DE 814 414 038

from http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e20262338/

One thing is certain: He has landed the German travel company – in which Expedia Inc. has a controlling stake – plenty of free publicity. The brand has endeavoured to respond with good humour, launching a contest this month inviting people to give Trivago Guy a makeover.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
trellaine201 wrote: Personally I hate Trivago.
Very useful to search for hotel prices across multiple sites without popups like Tripadvisor.

I still wonder how Trivago makes money - I assume through a referral commission from a booking?
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
Harambasa wrote: Are they new or just a rebranded company?

"trivago GmbH was conceived in 2004 and launched in 2005 by the three founders in Düsseldorf, Germany: Peter Vinnemeier, Malte Siewert, and Rolf Schrömgens."
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trivago
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2011
2565 posts
2828 upvotes
Montréal
I have vowed to never give them a single click. Between the homeless guy in English and the annoying chick in French every 30 seconds, screw you Trivago. Die.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3365 upvotes
Vancouver
jfprieur wrote: I have vowed to never give them a single click. Between the homeless guy in English and the annoying chick in French every 30 seconds, screw you Trivago. Die.
Exactly how I think and feel. Hope all this money their spending every 30sec FAILS
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
Trivago seems to list hotel prices in Canadian dollars and the others do not. This would mean that they always have the cheapest price due to the conversion rate, if say going to the USA. Can anyone confirm that they are true to the numbers, or do you get a surprise while going to book/pay?
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3365 upvotes
Vancouver
They don't have the cheapest and their hotel ratings are messy and not indicative of the true ratings. Not sure where they get their ratings.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2004
1671 posts
402 upvotes
Montreal
trellaine201 wrote: They don't have the cheapest and their hotel ratings are messy and not indicative of the true ratings. Not sure where they get their ratings.
+1001
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
AudiDude wrote: Trivago seems to list hotel prices in Canadian dollars and the others do not. This would mean that they always have the cheapest price due to the conversion rate, if say going to the USA. Can anyone confirm that they are true to the numbers, or do you get a surprise while going to book/pay?
When you book, you're redirected to the site that is offering the rate - i.e. Expedia, Hotel.com, etc.

There have been a few times where the offers do not line up - I assume due to a data feed or parsing issue. Trivago is more of a search engine than a booking site.
Nov 1, 2005
989 posts
119 upvotes
I like how that all their ads show Expedia being the cheapest. /sarcasm They also show rates from some pretty fishy websites.

I've used it as a starting point to get an idea for hotel prices but book through other sites.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9404 posts
5374 upvotes
Just a word of warning...I run my hotel dates every couple of days on Trivago and one time I ran them and Trivago did not come back with a cheaper rate than Hotels.com for a particular hotel with specified checkin/checkout dates. I only noticed it just the one time so far but based on this occurrence I think it is always good to use a couple of different search tools to cross check pricing.

Edit: I'm not 100% sure but I think the reason for the discrepancy I was observing may be due to the f/x rate the webpage was displaying prices in. In other words comparing a Cdn$ price to a US$ price. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2008
1197 posts
671 upvotes
I like Hotwire myself. I've saved a bundle using them. Their Website is easy to use.
Jan 9, 2013
160 posts
538 upvotes
White City
I have always used Hotwire to book trips but lately I have been doing all my research through www.hotellook.com. I haven't purchased anything off of the site yet, but I find it the most useful site for finding the best rates. After finding the best rates, I just try to get promo codes for the sites that are offering the best deals and always use ebates before purchasing.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12614 posts
2318 upvotes
everytime I hear the commercial I think "Aviato"