None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
10398 posts
602 upvotes
Brampton

Trolley jack not lifting vehicle high enough off the ground

I have a hydraulic trolley jack from CT. It lifts high enough for cars, not high enough for suv. What can I put the jack on to build up the lifting height? I just want to take off the tire, not lift the whole front or rear end.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
9 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21262 posts
2084 upvotes
cheapmeister wrote:
Sep 15th, 2015 4:54 pm
I have a hydraulic trolley jack from CT. It lifts high enough for cars, not high enough for suv. What can I put the jack on to build up the lifting height? I just want to take off the tire, not lift the whole front or rear end.
Is the pinch weld too high as well? Check the weight capacity as well.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
10398 posts
602 upvotes
Brampton
Kasakato wrote:
Sep 15th, 2015 4:57 pm
Is the pinch weld too high as well? Check the weight capacity as well.
Jack says it can lift 2 tonnes. Yea the pinch weld or jacking point is high.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Aug 17, 2008
940 posts
345 upvotes
Time to get a new floor jack that lifts higher.

Putting something underneath the jack (like a wooden block) would be dangerous. If it slips, you could damage the car/suv, or hurt yourself. Not worth the risk. Just get a better jack.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5652 posts
1321 upvotes
BC
Although a jack with a greater lifting height is the preferred way,

depending on what surface you are working on and whether you have some suitable lumber lying around, you could assemble a temporary "sub-floor".
That is, not an individual wooden block under the jack, but something like four or five 4' long pieces of 2x8 placed next to each other to form a 4 foot square pad.
That will allow the jack to operate just like it does normally - the wheels can move a bit as needed to adjust the angle as the vehicle rises, and the load is evenly distributed over the pad.
Only gives you an extra 1.5" but that might be all you need. If more height needed, you would have to use 4x4 lumber instead of 2x8.
Do this only if you have good pieces of lumber that butt together nicely and sit firmly on the ground.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2008
1350 posts
261 upvotes
Mississauga
multimut wrote:
Sep 15th, 2015 8:34 pm

Putting something underneath the jack (like a wooden block) would be dangerous. If it slips, you could damage the car/suv, or hurt yourself. Not worth the risk. Just get a better jack.
lol noob. dont waste your money on a new jack if youre just using a jack once a year to change out tires. i hope u have a wheel chalk and a jack stand

u can find a long 4x4 peice of wood and lift your car on one side
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3779 posts
1370 upvotes
Mississauga
I have the same issue with my wife's minivan. I use a scrap 2x4 between the jack and the lift point on the van. Gains me an extra 1.5".
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
13439 posts
2905 upvotes
London
Can't you just lift using a suitable lower spot under the truck like under the control arm or shock mount/rear axle?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
6403 posts
5131 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
I put 4 foot long 2x10" wooden planks underneath. Either 2 or 3 planks screwed together...gives me a stable base and the 5" or so of additional lift I needed for the MDX. Once lifted I put some 6x6 wooden blocks near the jack point as a backup. The planks also save your driveway from the jack wheels digging in.

It's good to not max out the jack height as you may find you can take the wheel off BUT when you go to put the other one on you need additional lift...now what? I've had to do a back up jack on planks to give me the additional lift so I can get the wheel on then let the car down.

PS...If you are lifting an SUV make sure you aren't overloading your jack with the weight. Try and have a 3 ton and up rating. Use a jack rated for the weight!