None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3271 posts
473 upvotes
Hamilton

Trouble Finding LED Equivalent

I bought a pair of Noma hallway lights 4 years ago and the CFL's are starting to fail. I want to replace them with LEDs but I'm having trouble finding the right equivalents.

I need a bulb with a GU24 base but the size of a 13W CFL which I believe they are considered "mini" bulbs. All of the GU24 bulbs I can find are 60W equivalent which I think are going to be much bigger in physical size and not fit inside the glass dome of the fixtures. Like these --> GE Lighting 46183 Relax HD LED (60-Watt Replacement), 800-Lumen A19 Bulb, Plug-in GU24 Base, Soft White, 1-Pack, Title 20 Compliant https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07CVDG7H5/ref ... nCbNGAX156

Has anyone run into this before?

See pictures included.
Images
  • upload.jpg
  • upload.jpg
  • upload.jpg
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
2177 posts
818 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I have several new, unused GU24 CFLs..... kept them for some reason when I sold the house that had the fixtures. The only GU24 lamp I have in the new house was a cheap motion sensor light I bought from Princess Auto but I found out the CFL is powered whenever it's dark. I don't really notice them on sale. You might check a Habitat for Humanity ReStore,.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2820 posts
1023 upvotes
GU-24 base are becoming extremely hard to find, few manufacturers are making them, the design really appears to be on the way out.

The only place you may find them are commercial electric and lighting wholesalers.

your best bet is change the fixtures, in all honesty
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3271 posts
473 upvotes
Hamilton
Damn Canadian tire / Noma. My outdoor light is from CT and is the same base as well. I can still find the CFL version of the bulb I need, but since they were starting to fail I figured I would change them all to LEDs, apparently not!
Mar 22, 2017
577 posts
454 upvotes
You can buy GU24 bases with LEDs, but you may not have a lot of options on bulb size. I'd at least look into the normal sized bulbs and see if they fit - sometimes people are surprised.

While this is a Plan B for you I'm sure, I'd consider switching out the fixture as well. Modern LED fixtures often use NO inserted bulbs (built in and last a couple of decades) and are getting dirt cheap now. The exact fixture I bought isn't on the list below, but I paid fifty bucks each and liked them so much I bought five.

https://www.costco.ca/ceiling-fixtures.html
Aug 4, 2006
495 posts
176 upvotes
GTA - Gwilly
If you really want to keep the fixture, you could try your luck rewiring it with a standard screw base. Easiest is just to replace the whole fixture.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3271 posts
473 upvotes
Hamilton
True, I’m looking at playing $15 a bulb for even just the CFL version. That’s $30ea that could be going to a new fixture.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2820 posts
1023 upvotes
No room for an adaptor in the light fixture he is using, likely
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3271 posts
473 upvotes
Hamilton
Exactly. I thought of that's but these mini CFLs I was using already slightly touch the glass of the fixtures.

I think I'm going to go with this one. Great reviews, integrated LED bulb, and only $10 approx more per fixture then buying 2 new bulbs per old fixture.

Satin Bronze LED Flushmount with Frosted White Glass
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.sati ... 62049.html
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4163 posts
815 upvotes
Wat
Those are totally enclosed as well and you shouldn't be using cfls in there. That's why they are failing prematurely. And most LEDs cant be fully enclosed either.
I would just replace the fixture with something nicer that is not fully enclosed and takes a regular bulb