• Last Updated:
  • May 20th, 2019 9:00 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1474 posts
368 upvotes
Vancouver

Trouble finding a shirt that fits me - For job interviews

Hey guys, new to the fashion world. Was wondering if someone could recommend me shirts for interviews. I've bought a couple and they don't seem to really fit me properly or they look terrible on me. I'm not sure what to go for. I have not tried oxford shirts though, would you recommend it?
13 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13286 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
What's your size? height? sex?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1474 posts
368 upvotes
Vancouver
Cheapo-Findo wrote: What's your size? height? sex?
I'm not really sure, I wear a medium shirt. 38.5" chest size

I'm 5'10 male.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
Measure your neck.
That's your size. ie 14,15 etc
You can have this done at the store by a professional salesperson as well.
I'm surprised you have not yet walked into a store and the salesman placed his tape measure around your neck, and pulled you in close to him as though he were going to kiss you.
Also measure your arms and determine arms length.
Usually 32/33.
Decide on slim or contemporary fit.
Get cotton or mix of poly and cotton.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21703 posts
17379 upvotes
Markham
Depending on your budget, go into a store like Harry Rosen and they'll find you a shirt that fits. If you like give them a budget as well. If you have a suit, bring that with you and they can also help you find a tie if you need one.

Good luck with your interviews.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
9325 posts
6386 upvotes
Vancouver
Or get MTM shirts from Spier and Mackay, wait for one of their sales
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2007
10206 posts
1465 upvotes
Mississauga
M2M is your best option if u cant find any off the rack brands that fit your specific body type
RFD 43-0-0
Ebay 39-0-0
|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7800 posts
1611 upvotes
Toronto
Goto uniqlo, alot of sizing for slim fit dress shirts. Won't break the bank.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4937 upvotes
Toronto
What kind of job you are interviewing? Fashion field?
What position? An Executive that has to see external clients everyday?

Otherwise, you are over kill to think too much on a shirt to wear on an interview.
Clothes you have to wear is clean, comfortable, suitable to the job and be yourself.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10217 posts
5530 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Fit is important. As previously stated, dress shirt sizes for men are a combination of collar size and sleeve length. I am one who has a fat neck but a relatively-slim body so most cuts of dress shirts are huge on me (could easily lose 3-4" if not more of material around the lower torso even for some slim fit cuts).
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1474 posts
368 upvotes
Vancouver
MP3_SKY wrote: What kind of job you are interviewing? Fashion field?
What position? An Executive that has to see external clients everyday?

Otherwise, you are over kill to think too much on a shirt to wear on an interview.
Clothes you have to wear is clean, comfortable, suitable to the job and be yourself.
Just warehousing positions or inventory positions, i used to be an auditor/inventory control guy for a warehouse... but i'm aiming for a good paying inventory job in a hospital. never wore a suit or formal clothing in my entire life.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4937 upvotes
Toronto
When you said doesn't fit you properly, do you mean fashion wise or size wise, like you have an odd size and most standard size doesn't seems to be the right cut?
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1474 posts
368 upvotes
Vancouver
MP3_SKY wrote: When you said doesn't fit you properly, do you mean fashion wise or size wise, like you have an odd size and most standard size doesn't seems to be the right cut?
kind of both? i tried on like 3 from the bay, and it just didn't look right. maybe it's my body. they emphasize my bulky body and small head, and long neck. maybe I need something with a large collar to make things look even? maybe it's my baby face that makes it look weird.

size-wise i think the ones I choose fit OK, it's just the design maybe? maybe some collars don't work for me because of my physique.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4937 upvotes
Toronto
I won't able to help you to find the right fitting of your clothes but seriously you will be working in a warehouse. You do not have to dress up that formal on an interview, i doubt the warehouse supervisor/manager care if you are on a suit a tie for a warehouse job interview.
I worked in a warehouse while I was way younger, I was overdressed with a causal shirt and a black pant with a semi causal dress shoes. Aslong as your clothes are clean and fit right, I would say you are good to go.
Day 2, I just wore a Tee and jeans to work....and that was basically how everyone dress like in a warehouse.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)