Off Topic

Trudeau’s trip to Aga Khan’s (billionaire) private island kept secret to protect privacy, PMO says

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2017 2:12 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7118 posts
377 upvotes

Trudeau’s trip to Aga Khan’s (billionaire) private island kept secret to protect privacy, PMO says

"OTTAWA—The Prime Minister’s Office is defending Justin Trudeau’s secret family vacation — in which he, his wife and children took a government jet to the Bahamas and stayed at the billionaire Aga Khan’s private island — stating it was necessary to protect their privacy during the holidays.

“Like many Canadians, the prime minister and his family spent private time together over the holiday season,” Trudeau’s press secretary, Cameron Ahmad, said in an emailed statement.

“In order to protect the privacy of the prime minister and his family, we do not disclose the locations of their vacations prior to their departure.”

The revelation came after days of public pressure on Trudeau’s office to reveal where he was vacationing during the holidays. His daily itinerary, which typically outlines the prime minister’s schedule and appearances, simply said: “Personal.”

Ahmad said the prime minister, his family and “a few friends” were invited to the Aga Khan’s privately owned Bell Island for the holidays. Trudeau and his family took a government Challenger jet, following “long-standing” personal and business travel protocol for the prime minister, while their accompanying friends got there by other means, he added."

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/201 ... o-says.htm

No undue influence here I'm sure.
188 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2015
2573 posts
420 upvotes
FFS he can go on holidays and have friends, who cares? All this conspiracy talk is just rubbish.
Go Raptors, Go!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7118 posts
377 upvotes
canucky1 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2017 10:17 pm
FFS he can go on holidays and have friends, who cares? All this conspiracy talk is just rubbish.
Yeah, I guess you're right, why would a billionaire not invite a sitting prime minister to his private island for a decent vacation. Probably doesn't want anything.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2015
2573 posts
420 upvotes
Frankie3s wrote:
Jan 6th, 2017 10:26 pm
Yeah, I guess you're right, why would a billionaire not invite a sitting prime minister to his private island for a decent vacation. Probably doesn't want anything.
Why don't you just write for rags like the Daily Mail and Murdoch's Fox where innuendo and conspiracy theory will replace any factual relevancy or scrutiny of the facts. Of course there is always a possibility of anything, but this alone is not evidence, and politicians always walk in particular circles including wealthier and less wealthy. Who cares? Scrutinize his policies and character and impact on the country, not gossip mongering please.

From Globe and Mail:

"Trudeau, who never misses a chance to sell Canada as a destination for foreign investment, had planned to attend the annual mid-January meeting of billionaires, investors, celebrities and politicians.

But this week, Trudeau came under fire for accepting an invitation to join the Aga Khan at the wealthy religious leader’s private Bahamian island.

A spokesman for the prime minister, Cameron Ahmad, is confirming a National Post report that the Aga Khan invited the Trudeau family and a few friends to join him on Bell Island.

The Aga Khan is the hereditary spiritual leader of the world’s approximately 15 million Ismaili Muslims and a renowned philanthropist.

Ahmad notes that the Aga Khan and Trudeau “have been close family friends for many years.”"
Go Raptors, Go!
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4651 posts
380 upvotes
Scarborough
how many renowned philanthropists OWN islands these days ......??
May 27, 2007
423 posts
34 upvotes
Like who gives a fudge. Serious crab bucket mentality going on here.
May 22, 2016
725 posts
94 upvotes
Ontario
Our PM is just a normal everyday guy with billionaires and dictators as friends. I bet he has never set foot in a comfort inn or flown economy.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
704 upvotes
maybe the PM is trying to get another Aga Khan museum this time built in ottawa
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
4452 posts
1438 upvotes
I find it interesting that those defending PM Selfie Sunny Ways would likely be the same lot crucifying Stephen Harper in the same circumstance.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
13907 posts
1432 upvotes
Toronto
No wonder he's so focused on bringing half the middle east into this country without going through proper immigration channels. I bet he got some pretty sweet financial incentives.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
May 27, 2007
423 posts
34 upvotes
Conquistador wrote:
Jan 7th, 2017 12:42 am
I find it interesting that those defending PM Selfie Sunny Ways would likely be the same lot crucifying Stephen Harper in the same circumstance.
Lol. Gotta love unsubstantiated criticisms like this. So much substance!
Deal Addict
May 2, 2006
4949 posts
1028 upvotes
GTA
Piro21 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2017 8:22 am
No wonder he's so focused on bringing half the middle east into this country without going through proper immigration channels. I bet he got some pretty sweet financial incentives.
I hear you brother, he should only be hanging out with white/christian billionaires. Otherwise, it's a guaranteed conspiracy plot to bring people into Canada who are not like us! Astonished Face
Jul 5, 2004
22137 posts
2058 upvotes
Conquistador wrote:
Jan 7th, 2017 12:42 am
Of course. That's the problem with the party system. People are brainwashed into being loyal to a specific party regardless of who the MP's are or what they are doing/stand for.

The entire party system should be abolished. It should be all independents voting on matters based on their constituents beliefs/wishes.

There also needs to be a simple and easy process for removing sitting MP's and MPP's
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Banned
Sep 3, 2016
122 posts
57 upvotes
Frankie3s wrote:
Jan 6th, 2017 10:14 pm
"OTTAWA—The Prime Minister’s Office is defending Justin Trudeau’s secret family vacation — in which he, his wife and children took a government jet to the Bahamas and stayed at the billionaire Aga Khan’s private island — stating it was necessary to protect their privacy during the holidays.

“Like many Canadians, the prime minister and his family spent private time together over the holiday season,” Trudeau’s press secretary, Cameron Ahmad, said in an emailed statement.

“In order to protect the privacy of the prime minister and his family, we do not disclose the locations of their vacations prior to their departure.”

The revelation came after days of public pressure on Trudeau’s office to reveal where he was vacationing during the holidays. His daily itinerary, which typically outlines the prime minister’s schedule and appearances, simply said: “Personal.”

Ahmad said the prime minister, his family and “a few friends” were invited to the Aga Khan’s privately owned Bell Island for the holidays. Trudeau and his family took a government Challenger jet, following “long-standing” personal and business travel protocol for the prime minister, while their accompanying friends got there by other means, he added."

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/201 ... o-says.htm

No undue influence here I'm sure.
Sounds all fine to me but why the f**k did he take a government jet to fly there? As his schedule stated, it was a "personal" visit. So it should have been funded using his private funds. Trudeau is only good at taking selfies. Finances are not his strong suit. I find it funny Canada spent so much time and effort to prosecute Duffy (probably cost the legal system millions) over like 100k. But on the other hand you have douches like Trudeau who gets to spend public funds on his personal matters and nobody says a thing.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
2607 posts
277 upvotes
Ottawa
bluedealz wrote:
Jan 7th, 2017 10:59 am
Sounds all fine to me but why the f**k did he take a government jet to fly there? As his schedule stated, it was a "personal" visit. So it should have been funded using his private funds. Trudeau is only good at taking selfies. Finances are not his strong suit. I find it funny Canada spent so much time and effort to prosecute Duffy (probably cost the legal system millions) over like 100k. But on the other hand you have douches like Trudeau who gets to spend public funds on his personal matters and nobody says a thing.
All heads of government take government vehicles wherever they go. Because of the nature of their jobs, they can't simply travel alone; they have to be accompanied by security staff and other staff. If, for example, he has eight bodyguards and six staffers, should he be expected to pay for those 14 plane tickets?