Off Topic

Trudeau’s trip to Aga Khan’s (billionaire) private island kept secret to protect privacy, PMO says

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2017 2:12 am
May 22, 2016
821 posts
138 upvotes
Ontario
Ambrose is leader of opposition and will not be running the country. JT is running the country and donated our money to his BFF's cause. JT is forcing us to pay carbon taxes while flying on helicopters. His BFF also paid off the island govt so he could destroy the natural area to dock his massive boat.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6325 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto
hugh_da_man wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 5:18 pm
How exactly did he not break the law? Everyone but the ethics commissioner has decided that Trudeau broke the law. Take your partisan hat off...
The "everybody" you refer to is clearly not "everybody"! Fortunately, it is the ethics commissioner's opinion that matters.

Am you suggesting that I am partisan because I don't agree with you or because you think I'm a Liberal supporter?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6325 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto
hugh_da_man wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 5:21 pm
That truly is the funniest part about Liberals. Ambrose is a hypocrite and Trudeau didn't break the law...and I'm the partisan hack!
No, you are partisan because you are not able to separate the argument from your political bias.
Jul 30, 2010
951 posts
107 upvotes
My opinion is that both leaders are pampered rich kids who have no idea what living in the working class is like. Trudeau did something probably illegal (currently under like 4 ethics investigations), and they both did something that equates to a massive slap in the face to the working class Canadians who have to vote for them. Ambrose can't be the PC leader though, so that's alright.

Trudeau is a pompous ****, and Ambrose is whatever...I haven't even paid attention to her since she is only the interim leader. I'll judge the actual PC leader when they are chosen.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
5987 posts
224 upvotes
Jimbobs wrote:
Feb 8th, 2017 12:20 pm
The "everybody" you refer to is clearly not "everybody"! Fortunately, it is the ethics commissioner's opinion that matters.

Am you suggesting that I am partisan because I don't agree with you or because you think I'm a Liberal supporter?
Ok I'll refine a little bit... "everybody" that is not a partisan hack knows that Justin is guilty. The decision of the ethics commissioner only determines whether or not Justin is fined at this point. Take for instance Thomas Mulcair who said "it's unprecedented to have a sitting Prime Minister break the law" or Peter Mansbridge who clearly outlines here at the start of this video that Justin broke the law.

I'm suggesting you're partisan because you're anti-conservative/right and thus support Justin because he's the best chance at beating the conservatives. I don't know if you're a Liberal or not.

Jimbobs wrote:
Feb 8th, 2017 12:22 pm

No, you are partisan because you are not able to separate the argument from your political bias.
I already said I'm willing to concede that Ambrose's stance could be seen as hypocritical (ignoring the fact that Ambrose owned up to her vacation and Justin tried to hide his). You seem to be the one unwilling to acknowledge where the two vacations differ with regard to ethical violations.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6325 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto
hugh_da_man wrote:
Feb 8th, 2017 2:32 pm
... You seem to be the one unwilling to acknowledge where the two vacations differ with regard to ethical violations.
Not at all!

I'm simply waiting for somebody - the ethics commissioner - that has all the relevant information to decide whether or not he broke the rules and, if so, to what extent. Without knowing ALL the facts, you have already found him guilty.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6325 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto
hugh_da_man wrote:
Feb 8th, 2017 2:32 pm
I'm suggesting you're partisan because you're anti-conservative/right and thus support Justin because he's the best chance at beating the conservatives. I don't know if you're a Liberal or not.
I am an equal opportunity critic!

It is policy that I tend to criticise rather than a particular party or politician. As a result, that often makes me critical of both the Liberal and Conservative party policies. For example, at the moment, I am very critical of Trudeau and his reversal of policy on the electoral reform issue. That is far worse than this particular storm in a teacup.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9589 posts
1252 upvotes
Toronto
So the PM being a Minister is held to a different ethics standard than just an MP (said a lawyer which is why Ambrose could get away with it)). Also, the PM took the Liberal Party Bosses on this trip (not just his family). They're trying to pull a Clinton but failed miserably.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2008
4811 posts
354 upvotes
Who cares? Do anybody honestly believe that any of our politicians are not in this for themselves?
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26289 posts
6097 upvotes
GTHA
The Ethics Commissioner has launched an inquiry to determine whether Prime Minister Justin Trudeau broke the Conflict of Interest Code when he stayed at the Aga Khan’s private island.

The inquiry follows the Commissioner’s decision last month to launch an investigation to determine whether the same trip had been a breach of the Conflict of Interest Act.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/pol ... e34010168/
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
5987 posts
224 upvotes
First PM to be under multiple investigations for ethics and conflict of interest violations?

Trudeau and Ambrose should both step down.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
5987 posts
224 upvotes
Justin Trudeau accused of misleading Canadians on Bahamas vacation
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau came under opposition attack on Tuesday, accused of misleading Canadians when he said he had to fly in the Aga Khan's helicopter during his controversial Bahamas vacation because it was the only way to travel to the billionaire's private island.
Opposition Leader Rona Ambrose led off the attack, demanding to know why he told Canadians the private helicopter was the only way to get to the island when a government employee arrived via seaplane.
Not only did he break the ethics rules but he lied to Canadians about the requirement to take the aga khan's helicopter when a government staffer had already gotten to the island via seaplane.

Also, how long does an ethics investigation take? Typical Canadian government...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
5987 posts
224 upvotes
uh oh Trudeau

Aga Khan island that hosted Trudeau owned by company with offshore ties, records show
The Bahamas island where Prime Minister Justin Trudeau took a vacation that is now the subject of an ethics investigation is owned by a company connected to a secretive web of corporations located in countries known to be offshore tax havens.
The legal ownership of Bell Island involves several shell companies and nominee directors with links to Swiss banking giant Credit Suisse. The reasons for the complex corporate structure are unclear, and officials connected to the Aga Khan have refused to comment.
However, experts say it is also the kind of structure often used by those who are trying to hide assets or avoid or evade taxes. While tax avoidance can be legal, evading taxes is not.

The Aga Khan is scheduled to be in Ottawa Tuesday to open the new headquarters of the Global Centre for Pluralism, an education and research centre built in part with $30 million from the Canadian government.
With all the outrage surrounding the shadiness of the government to the south, you'd think people would care a bit more about our PM vacationing on islands owned by companies that were potentially set up to evade taxes.