Off Topic

Trudeau’s trip to Aga Khan’s (billionaire) private island kept secret to protect privacy, PMO says

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2017 2:12 am
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
348 upvotes
hugh_da_man wrote:
May 16th, 2017 12:34 pm
uh oh Trudeau

Aga Khan island that hosted Trudeau owned by company with offshore ties, records show

With all the outrage surrounding the shadiness of the government to the south, you'd think people would care a bit more about our PM vacationing on islands owned by companies that were potentially set up to evade taxes.
So Canadian taxpayers contribute with $30 mil for this Global Centre for Pluralism? Really?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
5975 posts
224 upvotes
arm2000 wrote:
May 16th, 2017 12:45 pm
So Canadian taxpayers contribute with $30 mil for this Global Centre for Pluralism? Really?
Who knows really. The aga khan's hooks go deep into the Canadian government with both the Conservatives and Liberals giving him large sums of money to bolster his ego. This most recent one involved money and restoration of a heritage building. The PM's official residence can't get a renovation but we have millions to renovate a vanity project for a foreign citizen.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
348 upvotes
hugh_da_man wrote:
May 16th, 2017 12:53 pm
Who knows really. The aga khan's hooks go deep into the Canadian government with both the Conservatives and Liberals giving him large sums of money to bolster his ego. This most recent one involved money and restoration of a heritage building. The PM's official residence can't get a renovation but we have millions to renovate a vanity project for a foreign citizen.
Well, I don't doubt but I'm really surprised by the amount of money poured into this. Wow
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
5975 posts
224 upvotes
Trudeau under renewed attack for Bahamas vacation
New Democratic Party Leader Tom Mulcair led off with his questioning about the island's ownership structure.

"The prime minister's explanation of his now infamous vacation is so full of holes and contradictions it is starting to sound like a White House press briefing," he told the House.

"The prime minister broke the law by taking a private helicopter to the island. He defended this by saying that it was simply a family vacation with a family friend along with a few senior Liberals. Now we learn that the island doesn't actually belong to the family friend. So will the prime minister finally own up to this entire mess and admit that he should never have taken that exclusive holiday?"

Mulcair also called on Trudeau to admit that the helicopter used by the Aga Khan was not the only way to get to Bell Island.
Sick burn from Mulcair...I'll miss him
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
2821 posts
213 upvotes
hugh_da_man wrote:
May 16th, 2017 12:53 pm
So you're not a fan of the Aga Khan's work?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6646 posts
787 upvotes
Dpack22 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 10:36 am
I spent a solid $1,000 on my last week long all expenses paid cuba vacation.
yea but no one cares if you vanish. Head of State types need security and that $1000 suddenly becomes $100k.

At 215k, i dont think their vacation is extremely over budget. Maybe 50-60k could have been cut, but its not cheap to vacation with an armed security force.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
2745 posts
298 upvotes
Ottawa
kingofwale wrote:
May 19th, 2017 2:58 am
I miss the old White house briefing when medias take turns sucking Obama Admin's D....

Drone strike?? No, tell us about how amazing Michelle Obama's dress was last night!!!??
Except now they report on how Melania wore heels from the White House to Air Force One and how that's supposedly an insult to hurricane victims. Or when she wears something expensive, because some people are poor.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16454 posts
1764 upvotes
Montreal
Dpack22 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 10:36 am
I spent a solid $1,000 on my last week long all expenses paid cuba vacation.
No kids ehhh? LAst time we won't to Mexico, family of 4 was 4.5k.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1554 posts
678 upvotes
Hamilton
Buggy166 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 1:41 pm
yea but no one cares if you vanish. Head of State types need security and that $1000 suddenly becomes $100k.

At 215k, i dont think their vacation is extremely over budget. Maybe 50-60k could have been cut, but its not cheap to vacation with an armed security force.
You're right, 215k is just a drop in the bucket compared to what JT is going to really cost the country.

I also like to think my mom would care if I went missing.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1554 posts
678 upvotes
Hamilton
mr_raider wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 2:00 pm
No kids ehhh? LAst time we won't to Mexico, family of 4 was 4.5k.
Sounds like my vacation was much more relaxing than yours Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16454 posts
1764 upvotes
Montreal
Dpack22 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 2:05 pm
Sounds like my vacation was much more relaxing than yours Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
HEll yah. Wife got food poisoning. Kid got fever. I want 2 nannies.