Off Topic

Trudeau paid khadr while ensuring it couldn't be touched.

Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2006
4142 posts
409 upvotes
kevindurant1 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 2:18 pm
Keep emotions out of it and tell me what sounds logical to you.
Logic tells me to never respond to a kd1 post, but i guess my emotion got the best of me this time
Penalty Box
Aug 23, 2006
2673 posts
169 upvotes
tk1000 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 7:30 pm
Former PM Paul Martin regrets government’s early handling of Omar Khadr case

Martin, who became prime minister in late 2003 after serving in the previous Liberal cabinet, says he wishes Ottawa had taken a different approach in the early stages of the Khadr case, and says his own government followed the precedent set by its predecessors.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/201 ... -case.html
Good on on Martin. I guess he didn't get memo to blame everything on PM Harper.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27690 posts
3832 upvotes
Ottawa
tk1000 wrote:

Martin, who became prime minister in late 2003 after serving in the previous Liberal cabinet, says he wishes Ottawa had taken a different approach in the early stages of the Khadr case, and says his own government followed the precedent set by its predecessors.

Wow....is the a Liberal Prime Minister saying the Liberals pooched....KD, are yu reading this :)
sandeeS wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 8:02 pm
Good on on Martin. I guess he didn't get memo to blame everything on PM Harper.
770 Posts and finally a Liberal Prime Minister steps up.
snow00774 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 8:08 pm
I miss Paul martin
LMAO...I bet some others do as well.
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
13867 posts
859 upvotes
lubmar wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 8:07 am
so agree or pay up ?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/omar-kha ... -1.4267114
Wouldn't the decision be up to the courts? I'm confused by this opinion piece that seems to be saying it's up to Trudeau. If I'm not mistaking when you're on parole you're not permitted to associate with any other known criminals, I can't see how the courts shouldn't be the ones to make this decision.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6503 posts
701 upvotes
lemieux035 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 11:52 am
I think it's time we introduce Swiss-style referendums here in Canada. I think an overwhelming majority of Canadians would be against paying this convict millions of dollars after having killed a US veteran.
If a US veteran invades your country and kills your friends and family, how much of a terrorist will you become? Until you have a real answer for that, you cant really pass judgement in any meaningful way.

War is war, for all intents and purposes, US invaded that country and the locals, regardless of labels, were defending.

I dont even know why this whole thing went into the court system. Should've jailed him as a PoW or killed him on the spot.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
5664 posts
220 upvotes
tk1000 wrote:

In power for nearly a decade and he's blaming their predecessors for the Liberal government's actions? Typical I guess.

At least he's admitting to their mistakes but it'd be nice if he opened his chequebook to cover the costs a little.

Buggy166 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 2:32 pm
If a US veteran invades your country and kills your friends and family, how much of a terrorist will you become? Until you have a real answer for that, you cant really pass judgement in any meaningful way.

War is war, for all intents and purposes, US invaded that country and the locals, regardless of labels, were defending.

I dont even know why this whole thing went into the court system. Should've jailed him as a PoW or killed him on the spot.
Khadr was part of an invading force that was trying to take over Afghanistan. Not sure why the UN backed mission is considered an invasion in your retelling of history while foreigners who were raping, murdering, and enslaving the Afghan people are considered people defending their country.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27690 posts
3832 upvotes
Ottawa
Buggy166 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 2:32 pm

But, but but, as you know, it was not his country.....he is canadian (small c)
Would have solved a lot had he been a POW but us Canadians would not allow that...
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6503 posts
701 upvotes
hugh_da_man wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 2:56 pm
In power for nearly a decade and he's blaming their predecessors for the Liberal government's actions? Typical I guess.

At least he's admitting to their mistakes but it'd be nice if he opened his chequebook to cover the costs a little.

Khadr was part of an invading force that was trying to take over Afghanistan. Not sure why the UN backed mission is considered an invasion in your retelling of history while foreigners who were raping, murdering, and enslaving the Afghan people are considered people defending their country.
Khadr was invading Afghanistan and the UN along with the US Marines were there to defend locals from a Canadian invasion? The only invading forces in Afghanistan have been Russia and US, in recent memory.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
5664 posts
220 upvotes
Buggy166 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 3:29 pm
Khadr was invading Afghanistan and the UN along with the US Marines were there to defend locals from a Canadian invasion? The only invading forces in Afghanistan have been Russia and US, in recent memory.
Khadr isn't an Afghan. The UN backed mission to liberate Afghanistan from foreign occupation is a Canadian invasion? Are you having a stroke? Seriously. Maybe consider calling someone just in case.

Russia yes but when did the US invade Afghanistan? Links to your sources would be great, thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6503 posts
701 upvotes
hugh_da_man wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 3:56 pm
Khadr isn't an Afghan. The UN backed mission to liberate Afghanistan from foreign occupation is a Canadian invasion? Are you having a stroke? Seriously. Maybe consider calling someone just in case.

Russia yes but when did the US invade Afghanistan? Links to your sources would be great, thanks.
LOL
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
5664 posts
220 upvotes
Buggy166 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 6:30 pm
LOL
I'm just trying to create a baseline to see how you think since most of your posts are a jumbled mess and I imagine you get most of your news from Huffpo. Most people seem to think that the US acted alone in Afghanistan and ignore the fact that the UK, Canada, Turkey, Italy, Australia, Germany, the Netherlands, France, Poland, and 30 or so other countries contributed to ousting the Taliban and al-Qaeda from Afghanistan. You seem to be one of those people.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2012
2687 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
Buggy166 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 3:29 pm
What don't you get about this? Omar Khadr is the Canadian born child of Egyptian and Palestinian parents. He has no familial or ancestral ties to Afghanistan. With those facts how can you continue to say that Omar was defending his homeland? Are you saying that an attack on any Muslim nation is an attack on every Muslim nation?
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2004
1649 posts
249 upvotes
hugh_da_man wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 2:56 pm
Khadr was part of an invading force that was trying to take over Afghanistan.
Pete_Coach wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 3:05 pm
But, but but, as you know, it was not his country....
silky28 wrote:
Aug 31st, 2017 4:24 am
What don't you get about this? Omar Khadr is the Canadian born child of Egyptian and Palestinian parents. He has no familial or ancestral ties to Afghanistan. With those facts how can you continue to say that Omar was defending his homeland?
FACT: The Khadr family moved to Jalalabad, Afghanistan in 1996 and were already living in the Karte Parwan neighbourhood of Kabul, Afghanistan since 1999 as they were still running their relief charity for Afghan orphans. Their home in Afghanistan was targeted and bombed during the invasion by US forces.